Why become a member? ×

Bergantino Forte Bass Amp

Dood

Another new toy has appeared on my horizon this evening. It looks like a cut down version of the B|Amp. I've been gigging the B|Amp a lot recently and love it; I think those who might not want all of the DSP controls will like this version.

Here's the blurb from the Bergantino website. I have to say, if it sounds as good as the B|Amp it's going to make a lot of friends!

[url="http://bergantino.com/product/forte/"]http://bergantino.com/product/forte/[/url]

[quote]

[color=#000000]Description[/color][size=2]
Bergantino Audio forté Bass Amplifier[/size][size=2]
The new Bergantino forté (pronounced “for-tay”) bass amplifier is the newest member of the Bergantino Audio amplifier family. The Bergantino Audio Systems forté is an incredibly flexible, state-of-the-art Bass Amplifier, delivering maximum performance in a compact package. The forté uses the same analog preamp and power amp section employed in the ground breaking B|Amp, but with fewer options and control. The forté and the B|Amp have the same great sound, headroom and immediate command of your bass instrument signal, but is offered in a traditional amplifier package.[/size][size=2]
You will find many familiar features of the B|Amp including 4-band EQ control, bright switch, variable input gain adjustment, effects send/return, auxiliary input and headphone jack, tuner out, dual SpeakOn jacks, studio quality direct output, 2-Ohm operation and universal power supply. The forté also has a unique On-Board VRC (Variable Ratio Compressor) compressor adjustable from the front panel.[/size][size=2]
• 4-Band Tone Controls[/size][size=2]
• Bass: +/- 10dB @ 63Hz[/size][size=2]
• Lo-Mid: +/- 10dB @ 250Hz[/size][size=2]
• Hi-Mid: +/- 10dB @ 1kHz[/size][size=2]
• Treble: +/- 10dB @ 3.5kHz[/size][size=2]
• Bright switch: +6dB @ 6.5kHz[/size][size=2]
• On-Board adjustable VRC (Variable Ratio Compressor) Compressor[/size][size=2]
• Auxiliary input and headphone jack for personal monitor and practice use[/size][size=2]
• Effects send and return loop[/size][size=2]
• Studio quality Direct Output, software selectable Pre or Post EQ[/size][size=2]
• UPS – Universal power supply 115VAC- 240VAC 50/60Hz[/size][size=2]
• Power Section: 700W RMS at 4-Ohms, 800W RMS at 2-Ohms[/size][size=2]
• Dimensions (WxDxH): 10.5″W x 8.375”D x 3.75”H[/size][size=2]
• Weight: 6 lbs.[/size]
[color=#000000]•[/color][color=#000000] [/color][color=#000000]ProNet Price: $899 USD (International Prices set in each country)[/color]

[/quote]

It doesn't look like the Forte includes the DSP speaker matching profiles which for me personally has been a major selling point of the B|Amp when paired with Bergantino speaker cabinets. This function is similar to the 'tuning' used by PA manufacturers to ensure that amplifier and cabinets pair accurately in desired frequency response. E.g, 'flat'. Either way, it's going to sound great.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1499784355' post='3333581']
I like the look of that!
[/quote]

Yes me too, though I am rather used to seeing the digital display of B|Amp!

This looks like the version to use if you don't have Berg cabs. I have no doubt it will sound amazing.

The B|amp put me off with control managed via screens behind screens. That's not what I want when I need to change something in a 2 bar break on a dark stage.

2 Ohm is good but I wish a moveable HPF was included in the design.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1499788446' post='3333611']
This looks like the version to use if you don't have Berg cabs. I have no doubt it will sound amazing.

The B|amp put me off with control managed via screens behind screens. That's not what I want when I need to change something in a 2 bar break on a dark stage.

2 Ohm is good but I wish a moveable HPF was included in the design.
[/quote]

The B|Amp will happily run with the profiles switched off and thus both amplifiers will behave the same through non-Berg cabinets. Or to put it another way, there's till plenty of good stuff (like the variable HPF) on B|Amp to warrant the additional spend. As you say though, for those who might not need the extras, The Forte looks like a very promising piece of kit indeed.

With regard to the screens behind screens, I can confidently say that there's nothing in those menus you'd need to change in a 2 bar break on stage. The settings are utility settings mostly.

I really want to stack three Berg cabinets on top of each other to see what it sounds like!! :) 2 ohms all the way!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1499787973' post='3333609']
Does this use the standard ICEPower amp module or something a bit more exotic?
[/quote]

I actually don't know, but I do know that it has surprised me with what it is capable of. Tom Bowlus, a man who knows amplifiers, reported the same views too. Doesn't sound anaemic at all.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1499797647' post='3333714']
I really want to stack three Berg cabinets on top of each other to see what it sounds like!! :) 2 ohms all the way!
[/quote]

Hem hem...you only need down to 2.67 for three 8's, but they do sound gooood... :D Well, did... :(

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:219208]

FWIW, I'd also think that the power module in these is at least a variant of the ICE one used in lots of the newer Class Ds...

Edit: Yep, if it's anything like the one in my Magellan, it's very....hefty. There, I said it... <_< :D

Edited by Muzz

Reading the similar thread on TB, including Jim's responses; this amp is for those who don't want/like/need the clever programming and want a great amp with all the same hardware and love put into it, and by doing this 'basic' version, they get a lower price.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1499798089' post='3333718']
Hem hem...you only need down to 2.67 for three 8's, but they do sound gooood... :D Well, did... :(

[/quote]

lol, yes, the 0.67 Ohms in the grand scheme of things was so little it wasn't worth the extra typing ha ha ha!

That's a peach of a rig. Maybe when my woes with pennies have alleviated themselves I'll get a chance to try that out!

• 2 months later...