Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters' new record...

wateroftyne

Yes, some of the references are obvious (it sounds the offspring of WYWH, Animals and The Final Cut) and he needs to cheer up a bit, but... I really like it.

The classic RW angular basslines are present and correct (see below - not sure if he's playing all of them or not, mind).

What's your thoughts..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEh7Ip4yvH8

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1499690604' post='3332945']
Yes, some of the references are obvious (it sounds the offspring of WYWH, Animals and The Final Cut) and he needs to cheer up a bit, but... I really like it.

What's your thoughts..?

[/quote]

Yup he def ripping himself off there, a bit too derivative for me I'm afraid.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1499717155' post='3333153']
I've not listened to this , but many are able to distinguish Chopin after just a few bars; even the great JJ Cale could sound a bit 'samey' at times. I'll not go down the old 'AC/DC' path, nor ZZ Top, though. :mellow:
[/quote]

Yes, amazing all that.
Yet, some can't seem to distinguish between G and G#... :D

I'm a huge fan of Roger's, so perhaps a bit biased!

I love the album. My view is that it's deliberately a bit 'Floyd by numbers' in order to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and spread his political message as wide as possible. Also, he's been promising the fans an album (the Heartland project was mentioned by him and he was often asked about it) for about 10 years.

I personally know some Floyd fans that don't like Roger's solo stuff - but do like the new album.

I loved his last album, Amused To Death - but I feel I'm in the minority!

In my view, in the past 15 years or so, Roger has been addressing his reputation of making self indulgent, often dreary records and reminding people he was the creative force behind Pink Floyd's most successful albums. A key point for me is that the two 'demo' songs he released in the early 2000's (Leaving Beiruit and To Kill The Child) are nowhere to be seen now.

I think this is his way of giving the mainstream fans what they want.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1499721553' post='3333196']
I'm a huge fan of Roger's, so perhaps a bit biased!

I love the album. My view is that it's deliberately a bit 'Floyd by numbers' in order to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and spread his political message as wide as possible. Also, he's been promising the fans an album (the Heartland project was mentioned by him and he was often asked about it) for about 10 years.

I personally know some Floyd fans that don't like Roger's solo stuff - but do like the new album.

I loved his last album, Amused To Death - but I feel I'm in the minority!

In my view, in the past 15 years or so, Roger has been addressing his reputation of making self indulgent, often dreary records and reminding people he was the creative force behind Pink Floyd's most successful albums. A key point for me is that the two 'demo' songs he released in the early 2000's (Leaving Beiruit and To Kill The Child) are nowhere to be seen now.

I think this is his way of giving the mainstream fans what they want.
[/quote]

Yep, it's definitely more concise than he's been in decades. Some of the musical moments are truly breathtaking.