Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Two10 - Tolex or Acrylic finish

naxos10

I will be looking to purchase a barefaced Two10 in the coming weeks and was wondering if any of you out there can advise on the long term durability of the 2 finish options, the standard Tolex or the optional Acrylic finish. Is one proving to be better than the other?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1499737702' post='3333252']
Leather.
[/quote]
Brilliant :)

I build cabs. I've got about half a roll of vinyl left but after a couple of years of using acrylic it may never get used unless someone asks me specifically. It's just hard/impossible to invisibly mend and you've then got to treat the cab with kid gloves or accept the road worn look. The acrylic is much tougher than I expected and is wearing well, I haven't needed to touch it up yet but knowing I can is a bonus.

Out of interest, which acrylic coating are you using Phil? When I have made cabs in the past I have used Tuffcoat, but I didn't really find it that hard wearing - though easy to touch up.

Edited by RichardH

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the advice.

I have placed an order with Alex for a Two10 with acrylic finish, also gone for the cab cover just in case and even ordered the T-Shirt (well it is my 60th birthday present).

Again many thanks for all your replies.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1502887391' post='3354178']
This is my 60th birthday present and the guy's at Barefaced included a happy birthday greeting in the packaging - thank guys nice touch.
[/quote]

Was she ok after the long journey? She didn't seem too happy about going in the box, especially with so few clothes on... ;-)

cgg199: I'll try to get some pictures together at the weekend.

gjones: as far as I am aware the standard finish is Tolex and you can request the acrylic at extra cost. Alex does offer a customizing option on his cabs so drop him an email with what you are looking for.