Why become a member? ×

Learning bass guitar after 40's

pnunes76

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1499770940' post='3333446']
i think you should find a guitarist or drummer to play along with (even a fellow learner might do) . From there its a short hop to open mic nights.

I honestly wish I'd done this sooner and I learned more, and got more confidence from staying in tune and in time with someone else on a few occasions than I did from the time spent doing solo practice.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't have a fellow to play along and teach me the basics. So, I have to try by myself.

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499772558' post='3333465']
Unfortunately, I don't have a fellow to play along and teach me the basics. So, I have to try by myself.
[/quote]

You don't say where you are, but that's were these online advertising sites come in (e.g. Gumtree). Make friends and find interesting people who you will be complaining about in these forums soon enough :D

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499772558' post='3333465']

[/quote]
No, not as a teacher - more helping each other along
You could advertise - maybe other wannabe musicians feel the same way

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1499696521' post='3332980']
I'm sure it is subjective, but you did say " ..returned to playing bass...". Maybe that makes a difference?
I've not ridden a bike in years, but I know I can still do it. If I started now, would I be as quick to get on there for the first time?...
[/quote]

I started playing bass when I was around 19 or 20 years old. Played a few years, then the band split up and life got in the way....
I took it up again after an absence of of over 20 years. I think it was about 25 years actually! :o

For me, I could recollect a few things; some simple bass-lines, which string was which, what some of the notes on the fretboard were - but it really was like starting again. In fact, of the few bass-lines / songs I could remember or partly remember - I couldn't play any more.... my fretting and plucking was all over the place, timing-wise and accuracy of positioning

It might be different for some, but it's not quite like riding a bike. Once you've got that sense of balance and how the movement etc keeps you from falling off a bike, I don't think you lose that. But playing an instrument and the precise movements involved in fretting and plucking - well they do get very rusty. Also, when I started again, I was back to square one re getting sore finger tips....

EDIT: It's never too late - just enjoy playing music :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1499791962' post='3333650']
It doesnt matter how old you are, you can get better. If you start at forty you will probably never be as good as if you started at four but that doesn't matter.
[/quote]

So, I'll never be a good bass player?!? Perhaps, a mediocre bass player is the maximum I can reach ;)

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499792842' post='3333662']
So, I'll never be a good bass player?!? Perhaps, a mediocre bass player is the maximum I can reach ;)
[/quote]

Some folks never reach even [i]that [/i]standard, despite starting from a [i]much [/i]earlier age. :( Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499792842' post='3333662']
[/quote]

You may or may not be good dependent upon the talent and time and effort you put in.

If you do your 10,000 hours who knows how good?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1499793541' post='3333671']
You may or may not be good dependent upon the talent and time and effort you put in.

If you do your 10,000 hours who knows how good?
[/quote]

I will not live this whole time :D :D :D

Edited by pnunes76

Hello Prunes, I started at 55. I'm 67 now. YouTube is a great substitute for playing in a band. Often, the bass tab is available on video/YouTube separately for a song you want to learn. Then, you can play along to the video/YouTube of the song being played by the band. The first bass lines I learnt were to 'Move It' with the Shadows. Then 'FBI'. Avoid stuff you are finding difficult.

Final bit of advice, get a bass you love the look of and find is comfortable to play/handle. If you've got small hands, go for 4 strings. Get a tuner and tutor book to learn how to tune the bass and the basics of playing and maintenance.

You can be a great bass player with fairly average technical skills - you just have to not play too many notes, but to know which ones to play. Sometimes bass players who are highly skilled are actually not as good to listen to because they play too many notes and don't deliver the purpose of the bass within a band framework.
That's not to say that there aren't some amazing bass players with huge technical ability, but the two don't always go hand in hand. My tip would be to listen to a lot of dub reggae and aim for that super-minimal bass haiku vibe. This is one of my favourite ever bass lines, and you could play it with one finger on each hand. Almost anyone could play it, but only one person actually did play it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWFa6xn6Ml0

I love this site -- all the helpful advice you can get on here, and it almost never descends into the trolling/oneupmanship/ YOUR MUM rubbish that ruins so much of this new fangled internet thing.

Only thing I'd add Prunes, that I found made a huge difference to practicing on your own, is to use a metronome or possibly (even better in my opinion) some kind of drum software and make that a part of your practice routine. You can get some good stuff for next to nothing or free. And don't worry about getting faster faster faster. Get the timing solid and feel the smile appear on your face. Good luck

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1499973166' post='3334950']
Hello Prunes, I started at 55. I'm 67 now. YouTube is a great substitute for playing in a band. Often, the bass tab is available on video/YouTube separately for a song you want to learn. Then, you can play along to the video/YouTube of the song being played by the band. [/quote]

I have to disagree, playing along to YouTube clips is great but very different than playing in a band live.

Anyone ever rehearse songs for an audition and you feel confident like you own the song? You audition with the band and everything falls a part.

The YouTube clip is leading you through the song and you hear cues that are always there. And the tempo is always consistent.Those things don't necessarily happen live with a band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499978443' post='3334993']
I have to disagree, playing along to YouTube clips is great but very different than playing in a band live.

Anyone ever rehearse songs for an audition and you feel confident like you own the song? You audition with the band and everything falls a part.

The YouTube clip is leading you through the song and you hear cues that are always there. And the tempo is always consistent.Those things don't necessarily happen live with a band.

Blue
[/quote]

I agree. The youtube videos helps, but isn't everything.

Age is only a number. Some people get married and have kids after they turned 40.
I got back to bass playing when I was nearly 40 and now that I'm 40 I take on new hobbies. Enjoy and don't start buying too many basses too soon.😊