Why become a member? ×

SOLD Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ £650
£700

Well, with a heavy heart this is being moved on. It's been sat around in a studio getting used maybe 3x per year for recording and is woefully underappreciated. I am now using a Sansamp for live work and this amp deserves to be used more than this, and I can use the cash for a really nice power amp and towards a new bass.

I bought this on Ebay a few years back and it turns out it was imported over from California in the early 2000's, and converted to UK voltage at a Mesa service centre. I bought a full Mesa retube kit from Eurotubes, which was expensive, but this means you won't have to do it as the entire power and preamp section has maybe 20 hours of playtime through it and they are really really sweet now. You even get a free sticker on front of the amp!

The amp is heavy, but not as heavy as an SVT2 or SVT Classic, and it comes in a Gator 6U rack case with a vented 2U blank panel above the amp where I used to run a tuner. I have also soldered holes in the case to maximize air flow across the power section. The case has the old Nailed logo sprayed on it with acrylic paint which can be removed.

Cosmetically it's in great condition, the graphic EQ is a little loose but still works, I think the lid needs taking off and the screw tightening, but I only ever used the tone knobs so it didn't bother me.

Also, this thing is loud. Crushingly loud. I can't bear to turn it over 6 on the master.

A quick final word on the inputs, there are two, I used to run a Y cable to push both, with input 2 being higher gain, to get a blended grit out of the tone. Note that I installed a 12AU7 in the preamp section for this input, so it only breaks up around 8. On a 12AX7 you'd get some real grind out of this input. Input 1 is clean as a whistle.

Amp is currently located in Manchester at my flat - shipping is obviously a bit of an issue so collection preferred or we can meet halfway perhaps.

In summary, this is one of the best bass amps in history, and when you play it, you know you're playing something special. It inspires you to play when you are plugged in, and that doesn't happen often.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1499682932' post='3332880']
For me this represents one of if not the best bass amps ever...... good price too.
[/quote]
Me too - best sounding of the lot. Power, clarity and a lovely, muscular midrange.

• 3 weeks later...