Why become a member? ×

1990s Fender Precision Plus

dmckee

Hi,

I had a Precision Plus back in the early 90s, although not for very long - it was stolen when I was burgled about 4 weeks after I bought it! I've always fancied getting another one but they don't seem to come up often, presumably because not that many of them were made.

Anyway, I see one has popped up on Andy Baxter's site at £1350. Is this a reasonable price? Seems a bit high to me, and rummaging around this site and Talkbass, it looks like they usually sell at under £1000 (or $1000).

Anyone any thoughts on price, or the Precision Plus in general? Anyone selling one??

Cheers,

Dave.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1499492677' post='3331832']
In fairness, Andy Baxter's price includes £225 of VAT and the cost of any work he had to do to it. Anyway, I suspect the price will be negotiable.
[/quote]i think Andy uses the vat margin scheme which allows him to pay vat on the difference between what he buys it in at plus any repairs less what he sells it at.

So say he bought it for £600 and spends £200 on it

Vat payable would be £1350 - (£600 + £200=) £800 = £550 x 20/120 = £91-67

Instead of £1350 x 20/120 = £225

It's a wonderful bass IMHO, I own one (black pearl burst) ans I love it !

There are 3 of them for sale on a famous 2nd hand website here in France : 1500, 1250 and 850€ respectively.
The last one doesn't have the original bridge and pickups.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Kalwynn' timestamp='1499844593' post='3333940']
It's a wonderful bass IMHO, I own one (black pearl burst) ans I love it !

There are 3 of them for sale on a famous 2nd hand website here in France : 1500, 1250 and 850€ respectively.
The last one doesn't have the original bridge and pickups.
[/quote]

Can you share a link please

I've recently become a real fan of the P/J pickup arrangement. It really is so flexible
Each time I now play a straight P at rehearsal, jam or gig.... I wish I'd brought my P/J instead lol

Don't see many of these around. I don't need one, but if I came across one in a shop - I'd have to try it
If it played well, I must admit, I'd be tempted. As they get older, the value / price will increase, I'm sure

Yeah, I like PJs too. I have an American P at the moment, but like you, when playing often wish for the J in there. Could get one added I guess, but probably better to sell and buy a PJ. Saying all that, I really don't need one either, I have this (slightly different, and lovely) PJ that I had made for me by Chris McIntyre here in Edinburgh. I just have a nostalgic hankering for a P Plus.....

[attachment=250834:FullSizeRender.jpg]

Sorry, not for sale. It does everything I need and has been a faithful workhorse all these year. I did lose it once - we played a mini festival at a pub on the outskirts of Burton and I was distracted by the attentions of a young lady after the set had finished. I got back to the fully packed van after a while to much moaning from the other band members, unfortunately unknown to me they didn't put my bass in the van. All the gear went into storage as we were taking a break for a month or so whilst work took over. When the gear came out of storage I realised it was missing, phoned the venue but they hadn't seen it. Fast forward a year, the pub owner decided to move on and put the pub up for sale, whilst clearing out he found the bass in a store cupboard. Luckily for me (incredibly luckily) he called the event organiser,, this chap had a vague recollection that we were chasing a lost bass and called one of us to go get it.

Edited by bootros

Nice looking custom bass there Dave. I suspect that many of us don't actually "need" another bass
But I understand your desire to get another one to replace the one you had years ago
I spent ages trying to track down a Shaftesbury Rick, like I had in the early 80's - took me years in fact
Now I have one, I rarely play it! lol

I'm glad that P special isn't in a shop near me ;)
Ooooh, looks great

Bootros - that's quite a story! Well done on getting it back. It's the black/maple one I had too.

Marc S - I do wonder if the very same thing might happen with me, if I were to get my hands on one! Still, it's not stopping the GAS altogether. I used to live in London - just as well I don't now. :-)

Here's the one still for sale here in France (sorry it took me so long, don't know how to share a link using my phone :blush:) :

[url="https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/1150570483.htm?ca=6_s"]https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/1150570483.htm?ca=6_s[/url]

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1502095375' post='3349194']
Yeah, I like PJs too. I have an American P at the moment, but like you, when playing often wish for the J in there. Could get one added I guess, but probably better to sell and buy a PJ. Saying all that, I really don't need one either, I have this (slightly different, and lovely) PJ that I had made for me by Chris McIntyre here in Edinburgh. I just have a nostalgic hankering for a P Plus.....

[/quote]

Didn't Fender do this out of the custom shop a few years back? Your bass looks quite good compared to the one they were punting!

[quote name='dmckee' timestamp='1502095375' post='3349194']

[/quote]

That is one Smaaaaaart looking Bass.