Why become a member? ×

A lawsuit waiting to happen...

Dudgeman

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1499607596' post='3332451']
[attachment=248697:IMG_5694.jpg]This is my Antoria LP. Looks very similar, I kept the colour, had the gold fittings recoated, added new pickups and bridge etc - I love it.
[/quote]

Oh bud that is so cool...I had never even heard of Antoria before buying this bass...After getting all excited about maybe being able to sort the intonation I took a look at the round saddles from an old Warwick single piece bridge I have knocking around ..thinking I might try using individual saddles...they will take some fettling..will put a flat bottom on them so they sit nicely on the plate and they need to be made slightly narrower but they may well work....

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1499556073' post='3332215']
Thanks for the info Dudgeman - would never have thought of using ink as a stain.
[/quote]

Me neither..my original idea was to see if I could use a black stain to enhance the grain...sand it back and put a different colour over it...I was tempted by a blue finish...but so glad this happened using ink...

One of the thing that is really cool with this bass is at some point in its life someone has been using it left handed. There are 2 screw holes that I have filled and stained where the scratch plate was and there is also a hole on the small horn where he had attached the strap button...would love to know who had used it in it's life..hell the thing is nearly as old as me and I have been used by flippin loads of people!!

If you want to enhance the grain with black on a future build, have a look for black thixotropic grain filler. It's awful to work with, gets absolutely everywhere, but really brings the grain out - especially on ash. Also do two or three applications and sand back each time - it will save you a fortune in lacquer (ask me how I know! :D)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1499669273' post='3332774']
If you want to enhance the grain with black on a future build, have a look for black thixotropic grain filler. It's awful to work with, gets absolutely everywhere, but really brings the grain out - especially on ash. Also do two or three applications and sand back each time - it will save you a fortune in lacquer (ask me how I know! :D)
[/quote]

So how do you know...hahahaha...I think I have used something similar in a work setting years ago ..using Black 2 part filler on American oak to pull the grain out. And yes that was a messy old process as well...looked good though....

Appreciate the idea..Will store it for future builds...