Why become a member? ×

Survey on musical gear

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1499411453' post='3331344']Done by the way. Why the Q on kids living at home?
[/quote]
I thought it simply asked about if you have kids.
I wasn't sure what to say there. I have 2 grown 'kids' living somewhere else. Kids at home could be a distraction from playing, or could limit how often you can play some instruments.

Agree on kids question, similar situation here. Given the BC demographic assume there will be many others similar.

Something lost in semantics maybe, not always sure what question they're asking. 'I like to visit music stores' = Strongly Agree, love them, but probably only set foot in a physical shop annually..

'I am overly pedantic about lengthy surveys'

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1499355788' post='3330990']
Why no double bass?
[/quote]

We focussed on the most common gear of rock/pop music instrumentalists. You can drop the double bass in the "other instrument" field.

Thanks to everybody who has participated so far. We will try to share our results, either in an academic open access publication or with an informal summary of the results.
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask. We very much appreciate your help. :)

• 4 years later...

Dear all,

More than 4 years ago, we received permission to advertise a survey for an academic study on ‘Gear Acquisition Syndrome’ (GAS). We would like to give back for all your help by granting you access to the findings of this study, which are part of a book on GAS published this year. The entire book can be downloaded for free via this link: https://unipress.hud.ac.uk/plugins/books/27

We know that time is scarce, and we all should spend more time practising. That is why we have compiled a compact overview of our research findings, which you can access here: https://doi.org/10.34696/61g5-zd65 (using the Access Dataset download button)

As part of our endeavour to make our research available for free, we are asked to evaluate what use it has for musicians like us. If you wish to help us with this, this thread could be a platform for us to discuss:

-       Have we learned something new about GAS from our research?

-       Has it changed the way we think or feel about GAS?

-       Will we change your practice when it comes to dealing with gear?

Hopefully our findings will foster an interesting discussion about GAS and our use of musical equipment. We appreciate your interest in our research!

Best wishes,

Jan and Jonas

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MusicalGearSurvey said:

...We would like to give back for all your help...

An excellent initiative; much appreciated as a gesture, and all too rare in these modern times, so thanks for the thought.

Disclaimer: I've not read in detail the whole treatise (a long diagonal read is all, for now...), but on the basis of that, I think I'd recommend downloading the Summary first (a much lighter download, and a very much lighter read..!). The full book is worthy, but wordy, and will require a sustained effort to read in its entirety. Well written, grammatically, but dense (partly by the nature of the subject...) and without a literary 'hook' to advance the narrative. This is not a reproach; it's par for the course in studies of the sort, but it's not light, bed-time reading, and has little 'page-turner' appeal. Interesting, then, as long as one is not expecting a Bond novel; disappointment awaits if that's the case.
I'll not spoil the suspense concerning the Conclusion; each will reach their own. The tome shows that quite some quality time has been dedicated to the subject, and kudos is due for that alone. Well done, all concerned, and thanks again for sharing.
Now, back to looking at shiny things... B|

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 13:35, Dad3353 said:

An excellent initiative; much appreciated as a gesture, and all too rare in these modern times, so thanks for the thought.

Disclaimer: I've not read in detail the whole treatise (a long diagonal read is all, for now...), but on the basis of that, I think I'd recommend downloading the Summary first (a much lighter download, and a very much lighter read..!). The full book is worthy, but wordy, and will require a sustained effort to read in its entirety. Well written, grammatically, but dense (partly by the nature of the subject...) and without a literary 'hook' to advance the narrative. This is not a reproach; it's par for the course in studies of the sort, but it's not light, bed-time reading, and has little 'page-turner' appeal. Interesting, then, as long as one is not expecting a Bond novel; disappointment awaits if that's the case.
I'll not spoil the suspense concerning the Conclusion; each will reach their own. The tome shows that quite some quality time has been dedicated to the subject, and kudos is due for that alone. Well done, all concerned, and thanks again for sharing.
Now, back to looking at shiny things... B|

Many thanks for this evaluation, which is entirely accurate. To get the gist of our findings, the summary will most likely be enough for most musicians. The book helps with context and detail. Glad you find it useful!

• Like 2