Why become a member? ×

Going on holiday?

Happy Jack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anygig-AGB-Portable-34-Full-Scale-Length-Right-Hand-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Black/182617521251?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Dfcfec879270e496a951b2e6e6b129ebb%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222563875003

I have one of those... didn't pay that much for it though! Some people might get on with it, but I find it quite awkward - when sitting down the little metal 'rest' digs in and I just can't get my right hand in a comfortable position, and when standing it doesn't hang right because there is no bodywork leaning against you. It does serve a purpose though if you are really really short on space just want to something with a 34" scale neck to play (which I often do). Sounds fairly nasty too, but again, sufficient for practice. I never expected a tone machine anyway.

I did make some modifications that helped with making it a bit more user friendly, but IMO it is frankly under-developed - especially for the money. I also really dislike that the strap attached to a tuning peg - that just feels like a disaster waiting to happen, although to be fair to the instrument it hasn't happened yet.

As with all things, your mileage may vary, but if it got damaged/stolen/whatever I wouldn't even think about buying another, which is the yardstick I use to put a value on my gear. I just feel there must be a better solution out there.

I've previously posted links to those basses, when talking of taking a spare / backup bass to gigs.
They look really neat & compact - though I'm not sure how comfortable I'd find playing one, as b714s says above
Wish I had chance to try one though....
Surely Mrs S can't complain about me packing one of those for our hols? ;)

Edited by Marc S

I would certainly recommend trying one if you can - shame you don't live even remotely close. I couldn't gig mine - not only because of the usability limitations, I just don't think I could get a usable sound out of it in a band situation. I have seen a video where someone was demo-ing one of these and it did sound OK, but either my rig or my technique can't get there. It just sounds thin and nasal to me when I want fat and punchy (in my bass tone)...

I know I'm being hard on this bass, but for ~ £160 (which is what they seem to cost now) I don't think you are getting something all that useful... by comparison one of my favourite 'normal' basses cost me less than that second hand. My Anygig is used purely for learning new material when I'm travelling, and for that purpose it does its job, so despite my criticism I don't hate it - I just think it should be a better bass guitar as well.

Also, recently, these have come to my attention (think Jack was selling one a short while back?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EKO-ITALY-BRANDONI-CUSTOM-TRAVEL-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-/391737069926?hash=item5b35595166:g:9igAAOSwol5Y1QiY

They're more expensive, but these do look good, and I was quite tempted - but I bought Jack's KK Baby bass instead!
Not quite so portable ;) but portable for a Double Bass....

Edited by Marc S

Would be great if they sold that strap hook as a separate item - would go nicely on a Hohner B2 or a Spirit bass. You can't get the Steinberger hooks like they used on the more recent Synapse series for love nor money... I had one that I bought to go on a B2A and stupidly let it go when I sold that bass... should have just taken it off and filled the holes.