Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence

blue

I haven't brought up this topic in a while. I've been working on my presence on stage and have been making some improvements.

It's probably something most of us as bass players don't think about much. And if you don't gig much or if your a stand in the back by the drummer type it probably doesn't matter much.

It's an issue for me because of my advanced age, relatively speaking and I'm an upfront on stage guy.

Video has been a great help. I noticed that I wasn't standing up straight with good posture as I should.

And guess what guys, the head bobbing doesn't work all of us. It doesn't for me.

And BTW, you young guys in great shape can get away with just about anything.

Share your thoughts, especially you over 60 guys.

Blue

Edited by blue

Well I`m over 50 and for me most of my stage presence/movement depends on the size of the stage. If it`s cramped then moving about too much isn`t an option so I pretty much stay still - but always keep eye contact with the crowd, never shoe-gaze. But recently we`ve played a few bigger stages and I`ve had remarks that "Lozz moves" almost in wonder. I have to limit what I do to what my body can take the next day though, and luckily as a non-drinker I don`t get carried away with liquid enthusiasm.

I'm 40 but I don't keep still, wireless all the way. I like to have a wander, interact with the punters and have a giggle. Rock, metal bass players in local band mostly just stand at the back. I want to be different and engage with people. Hopefully they have as much fun as I do..

We do a lot of moving on stage, we go to great lengths in smaller places to make sure there is space.

We're all wireless and part of our show is out in the audience and standing on tables, bass bins and even behind the bar etc. so I suppose that's more of
a collective presence and that's slick and rehearsed.

A while ago I was playing in a couple of side bands and I have to say I enjoyed just being the bass player and being a lot more still.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1499209856' post='3330056']
As long as it looks like you're getting into it, smile occasionally, move to the groove, make eye contact and interact with other band members, that should be enough.

Not everybody needs to be Flea.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Smiling ( which I struggle with ) and good eye contact with the audience is key.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1499206434' post='3330026']
I'm 40 but I don't keep still, wireless all the way. I like to have a wander, interact with the punters and have a giggle. Rock, metal bass players in local band mostly just stand at the back. I want to be different and engage with people. Hopefully they have as much fun as I do..
[/quote]

I think wireless gives us more freedom. After 9 years of gigging wireless I would never trust a strait lead.

Blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1499205906' post='3330015']
Well I`m over 50 and for me most of my stage presence/movement depends on the size of the stage. If it`s cramped then moving about too much isn`t an option so I pretty much stay still - but always keep eye contact with the crowd, never shoe-gaze. But recently we`ve played a few bigger stages and I`ve had remarks that "Lozz moves" almost in wonder. I have to limit what I do to what my body can take the next day though, and luckily as a non-drinker I don`t get carried away with liquid enthusiasm.
[/quote]

Good for you, I haven't experienced alcohol in decades. Those that follow my threads know I'm not real big on drinking on the job.

Blue

Edited by blue

Watching a recent video, I noticed how I think I feel and look on stage is not reality.

Reality is what I see in video. I had this bouncy sort of thing going on that doesn't look cool at all

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm mid 40s and very guilty of throwing rock star shapes. I was doing it at 15 and I just default to still being like it now, without really thinking about it. Some go for the Bill Wyman thing which is great if it works for you but I still can't shake the Paul Simonon thing, despite not having actively listened to the Clash for years. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I guess as you get older you become more comfortable in your own skin.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499214720' post='3330070']
Watching a recent video, I noticed how I think I feel and look on stage is not reality.

Reality is what I see in video. I had this bouncy sort of thing going on that doesn't look cool at all

Blue
[/quote]

Watching yourself on a video is a real eye-opener. I was absolutely horrified when I saw myself. I thought I was a quiet stand-next-to-the-drummer guy, but I just looked totally embarrassed to be there, then I kept sighing and looking down at the fretboard. I thought I was being cool until I saw that.

Smiling and looking at the audience is definitely a good start.
For the record, I'm 61 but haven't gigged for a few years. Before playing bass I played sax for a long time, then I used to stand at the front of the stage and jump all over the place... luckily no videos of that.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499210435' post='3330060']

Agreed,

Smiling ( which I struggle with ) and good eye contact with the audience is key.

Blue
[/quote]

I suffer from this. What I thought my 'normal' neutral expression to be is, in fact, a right miserable mug. I find trying to smile very arkward but ultimately better than looking p1$$ed off.

Stage presence is a strange thing. I think you either have it or you don't and it can't be learned or taught.

It's not about moves either. You can stand completely still and still be the coolest player in the world. Similarly, as shown in another thread, you can have all of the moves and still look like a clown.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1499238857' post='3330118']
Stage presence is a strange thing. I think you either have it or you don't and it can't be learned or taught.

It's not about moves either. You can stand completely still and still be the coolest player in the world. Similarly, as shown in another thread, you can have all of the moves and still look like a clown.
[/quote]

I disagree, I think you can improve but you have to work at it.

I've lost the bent over look and now stand up straight.

Now all I have to do is work on getting rid of this bouncy step thing, smiling more and making better audience eye contact.

Blue

Edited by blue

I agree. I know a very good rock singer who's stage presence was very poor. He spent a couple of months videoing himself and gradually making adjustments. After about 6 months he had really turned things around. If you look like a rock god, ou might just start feeling like one, or at least enough so to pull it off.

It will happen eventually, actually may have happened already to me. But I'm not ready or going to give into the grey hair fedora look yet.

Age catches up with all of us eventually.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1499209856' post='3330056']
As long as it looks like you're getting into it, smile occasionally, move to the groove, make eye contact and interact with other band members, that should be enough.

Not everybody needs to be Flea.
[/quote]

At 64, that moving to the groove thing no longer works for me.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499242621' post='3330156']
It will happen eventually, actually may have happened already to me. But I'm not ready or going to give into the grey hair fedora look yet.

Age catches up with all of us eventually.

Blue
[/quote]

I wouldnt be so harsh on yourself there blue, I always video every practice we do, with being an originals band there might be that what's that your playing moment. I used to hunch over a lot and I worked on trying to remove that, I think everyone is there own harshest critic.

It's natural

Edited by Chaos Daveo

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1499243232' post='3330163']

I wouldnt be so harsh on yourself there blue, I always video every practice we do, with being an originals band there might be that what's that your playing moment. I used to hunch over a lot and I worked on trying to remove that, I think everyone is there own harshest critic.

It's natural
[/quote]

Thanks

We don't rehearse. We should but we don't and not my call.

However,like you said looking at gig video is a really good idea for some of us. It has really opened my eyes lately

Blue

Edited by blue

In my early bass playing years i suffered from the John Entwhistle look ie standing still and for some odd reason moving my knees rather than my feet to the beat.
Was regularly commented on about my bass technique and competence in a good way but i think some times the knee thing became a bit of a laugh with mates and fellow bass players at the time.
Nowadays i'm happy to interact with bandmates and provided stage is big enough i'll move around a bit. I'm usually enjoying myself at a gig so smiling is easy bit.
I still suffer a bit from the foot watching or neck watching but i know i do it and as soon as i realise i will look up and out at the audience.
Looking at the audience and smiling seems to be the one constant in the thread and i really need to focus a bit on that.

I think for some a lack of confidence in either yourself or your playing can cause a bit of stage fright and even embarrassment to move about on stage a lot.

Good thread Blue and quite interesting. Opened my eyes a bit on myself.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499244683' post='3330186']
In my early bass playing years i suffered from the John Entwhistle look ie standing still and for some odd reason moving my knees rather than my feet to the beat.
Was regularly commented on about my bass technique and competence in a good way but i think some times the knee thing became a bit of a laugh with mates and fellow bass players at the time.
Nowadays i'm happy to interact with bandmates and provided stage is big enough i'll move around a bit. I'm usually enjoying myself at a gig so smiling is easy bit.
I still suffer a bit from the foot watching or neck watching but i know i do it and as soon as i realise i will look up and out at the audience.
Looking at the audience and smiling seems to be the one constant in the thread and i really need to focus a bit on that.

I think for some a lack of confidence in either yourself or your playing can cause a bit of stage fright and even embarrassment to move about on stage a lot.

Good thread Blue and quite interesting. Opened my eyes a bit on myself.

Dave
[/quote]

I think confidence plays a huge role here.

Here's another thing or suggestion. If the band is having an off night or blatant mistakes are being made, don't focus on the negativee and let it show or get you down. That's only going to nake things worse.

Blue

The pics above are from the gig we did with Peter Frampton Sunday night

Frampton show was top notch with insane production value. He had a semi truck just for his guitar production.

He had a new band, all of them were tops. They looked great and their set kicked ass.

Blue

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1499238857' post='3330118']

[/quote]

I've seen a lot of bands over the years (pro/semi pro/hobby in everything from large outdoor fests to dog & duck) and I've come to a similar conclusion.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1499246232' post='3330203']

I've seen a lot of bands over the years (pro/semi pro/hobby in everything from large outdoor fests to dog & duck) and I've come to a similar conclusion.
[/quote]

And I've seen bands go from very amatuerish presentations to very pro level produced shows.

Blue