Why become a member? ×

Anyone have any info re this Amp

BigGuyAtTheBack

Hi Folks I have just scored this amp head off evilbay for the princely sum of £23 After an hour with the soldering iron and a few new components it's all working but I can't find any info about them It's a Proamplifiers Select 130 Bass Series. Anyone any info as I'm curious and I like these weird old amps. It's has a footswitchable 2 channels, compressor and adjustable balanced out. Cheers

My step dad had a proamplifiers VSQ65 guitar amplifier years ago.. It was an all valve 65w 1x12 combo, multi-channel boogie-esque type thing that was well built, sounded excellent and weighed a ton. Mr Foxen had the 150w head version for sale a while back.

I know nothing of the bass model described above but i'm reasonably sure they're had nothing to do with Trace although I'm happy to be proved wrong on that..

Well after a wee look around the tinternet I have found that the Proamps were the brainchild of a John Cooper (ex Selmer) and Roger Haines in Braintree, Essex around early to mid 80's. They later morphed into KMD brand and were distributed by Kaman which when they went bust Proamps went down as well. Fair bit of info on the guitar amps (well regarded) but zero on any bass amps. Rumour has it this company may have been the start of Ashdown? The bass amp is well made and I'm going to gig it along with a stereo power amp for some more oomph

• 7 months later...

HI guys,

Sorry to be about six months behind on this but I came across it while looking up Proamp. I bought a Select 130 Bass head direct from the factory in the 80's. I've still got a copy of the pro amp price list and a factory sales pamphlet. (£194 direct from factory and £296 RRP for the 130 watt head). I gigged the amp for many years and it was totally reliable. Still have it as a back up to this day.

• Thanks 1