Why become a member? ×

Why can't singers sing in the original key?

la bam

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1499467882' post='3331804']
Judging by the amount of chart music where huge amounts of autotune are applied deliberately making the artist sound like a robot, i fear for the future of singing?
[/quote]

Chart music is a tiny part of the totality of music. It may have a high profile, but it is an irrelevance. The "future of singing" is safe. It just ain't in the hands of western chart music and its purveyors.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1499498362' post='3331850']
Chart music is a tiny part of the totality of music. It may have a high profile, but it is an irrelevance. The "future of singing" is safe. It just ain't in the hands of western chart music and its purveyors.
[/quote]
+100

Anyone wishing to reassure themselves as to the future of singing could do worse than come along to the Union Chapel, Islington tonight (Sat 8th July) to check out [url="http://laboratoriumpiesni.pl/en/"]Laboratorium Pieśni[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOpZAjlBkk[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkxKfDmKzrk[/media]

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1499498362' post='3331850']
[/quote]

I hope you're right, because there does seem to be a growing trend of using these heavily processed effects on vocals in both chart and non chart music. I guess its the new normal, not mine? :unsure:

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1499511364' post='3331941']
I hope you're right, because there does seem to be a growing trend of using these heavily processed effects on vocals in both chart and non chart music...
[/quote]

Slightly less so in operatic circles. :mellow:

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1499518303' post='3331984']
Well, no dad. I'm not attempting to defend these vocal effects, its just an observation?
[/quote]

The ' :mellow: ' smiley that I often use denotes, I hope, a certain languid, 'tongue-in-cheek', sardonic intention, usually (but not always...) for posts supposed to be 'dead-pan' humour. I understand that this does not, in every case, get interpreted in that fashion, for which I apologise. No malice intended; respect. Cool. B)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1499177674' post='3329721']
I wouldn't have a problem with a singer wanting to go up or down a tone from the written key to suit their vocal range. You even get plenty of instrumentalists wanting a different key and I don't quite understand that.
[/quote]
I fitted in with someone wanting to sing in F# - it wasnt difficult.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1500038616' post='3335291']
I fitted in with someone wanting to sing in F# - it wasnt difficult.
[/quote]

F#..... F# ..... F# .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfvfT14VUXk

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1499341356' post='3330835']

I think the OP was more asking why singers want to do songs if the original is so far out of their range.

[/quote]

Sometimes it's the rest of the band who says "We must have x in the set" and it's the singer who has to try and find a way to make it work with their voice.