Why become a member? ×

Moulded Earplugs - Changing Filters

Mykesbass

Recently decided it was time to get some moulded plugs - tiny bit of tinnitus, and disappointed with the non moulded pair I have been using.

I've now gigged twice, rehearsed three or four times, and been to a big gig wearing them and they are incredible. Nothing is lost (well, I'll come back to that in a second) really excellent full range reduction of volume. Exactly what they are supposed to do. The gig I went to (Kraftwerk at the Brighton Dome) the sound was exceptional.

Now the but... they seem to rob a lot of the energy from our performance. I've never been one to equate volume with energy - I've always given Elvis' That's Alright Mama as the perfect exmple of something not needing to be loud or fast to be energetic, but this has been a bit of an issue for me.

I'm using -18db. The -10db don't meet certain regulations so are not recommended by the audiologist or manufacturer, but we are not a massively noisy band. Has anyone on here used this type with the lower rated filter, and what's the result?

Thanks,
Mike

I learned to love my ER15's. They were so much better than the foam plugs I was using before. I'm now on PRO17's and still able to hear everything from a stage whisper to the thunderous racket coming from the other side of the stage.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a perfect ear plug. They all take something away, as well as the volume. If you want to gig and you have hearing damage then it's just something you have to deal with.

I haven't used in ears but excepting that IME nothing works better than the ACS plugs I've used.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1499108422' post='3329263']
I learned to love my ER15's.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris. From this, can I take it you got used to the lower volume? It is feeling a little alien right now.

It will get better over time, but ears are most sensitive in the 1500-3500Hz range, where most speech is heard. That is where music sounds most lively, but also where good earplugs offer the most protection.
I use 15dB pluggerz at the moment, they're fine. Putting anything in your ears will affect the sound but these are as good as it gets.

I use ER15's and as others have said they take a [i]little [/i]getting used to as to start with. The pleasure of being able to hear / no ringing after a gig is bliss. I wouldn't gig or see a band without having them with me now. My take on it is that I would rather lose a little of the feeling / atmosphere of a gig than a lot of my hearing.

As a side note, a local blues jam and a friend (guitarist of course :ph34r: ) started playing with those yellow earplugs and kept turning his amp up "Cos it doesn't sound right and I can't hear it like I used to." When we "tactfully" informed him that it indeed would sound different and quieter to him "COS YOU'VE GOT PLUGS IN!!!!" We also pointed out that the first 10 rows of punters had taken a swift 20 yard stagger back under his volume onslaught and he seemed to grasp the situation! He's not the only person I've witnessed doing this :blush:

I've been using my ACS Pro 17s for 4 years now, and after several gigs where I was playing close to the PA (lack of space) I changed the filters to 20db cut. Cost 40 or 50 quid from ACS, arrived the following morning, took me 2 minutes to change them, feel much more comfortable with them now. I did experience the remoteness when I first started using earplugs, but I soon got over that, and being to hear the rest of the band properly even after two hours plus on stage is a real improvement, especially as a lot of our songs tend to go off piste at times!

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1499116922' post='3329386']
It will get better over time, but ears are most sensitive in the 1500-3500Hz range, where most speech is heard. That is where music sounds most lively, but also where good earplugs offer the most protection.
I use 15dB pluggerz at the moment, they're fine. Putting anything in your ears will affect the sound but these are as good as it gets.
[/quote]I use ER 10's, but, my hearing is damaged in the the speech range so using ear plugs makes the problem even worse (have to take out my hearing aids as well), never have got used to the detached feeling when using them tbh

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1499161268' post='3329551']
I use ER 10's, but, my hearing is damaged in the the speech range so using ear plugs makes the problem even worse (have to take out my hearing aids as well), never have got used to the detached feeling when using them tbh
[/quote]
You could give the flare audio aluminum/titanium plugs a try. They block the ear canal completely and leave you with only conductive sound perception, resulting in a more even signal to the cochlea. My leadguitar player loves his, though I haven't tried them myself.

Edit: this is a heavy dB reduction, maybe too much for quiet bands.

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1499162091' post='3329564']
You could give the flare audio aluminum/titanium plugs a try. They block the ear canal completely and leave you with only conductive sound perception, resulting in a more even signal to the cochlea. My leadguitar player loves his, though I haven't tried them myself.

Edit: this is a heavy dB reduction, maybe too much for quiet bands.
[/quote]cheers I'll check them out, our singer may have tried them, he's always saying he can't hear himself in the monitors, I wonder why? :) we had a support band the other week and had to turn down the vocal monitor by half, singers eh?

I started with ER17s and then swapped the filters to 10s. It took a while to get used to them and that initial feeling of being a bit,...... distant but that went after a couple of gigs and now love them t bits. Comfy all night and no ringing in the ears when we're finished. Best thing I ever bought