Why become a member? ×

Benefits of VVT

tobiewharton

I'm not a jazz bass man and have always used single pickup or VBT basses. I'd always imagined that you couldn't get more versatile than VBT, but have no idea of the benefits of VVT. For those of you who prefer VVT, what's the basis for your preference?

Tobie

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1499090111' post='3329080']
Coz its better
[/quote]No it isn't - it's cheaper, that's why Leo changed from stacked pots.
[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1499094244' post='3329117']
I do prefer VBT to VVT, but my understanding is that there's an issue with implementing VBT with passive instruments?! Something about having reduced volume across the whole bass?

SI
[/quote]Not if you use the right blend pot.

I think my own preference is that I know how to get a couple of specific sounds out of a VVT - namely that combination of neck on full and bridge around 80%, where you get a strong, bright midrange - and I just don't know how to get it on a VBT. Probably just down to a lack of experience with blend controls, I must admit...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1499098496' post='3329153']
I think my own preference is that I know how to get a couple of specific sounds out of a VVT - namely that combination of neck on full and bridge around 80%, where you get a strong, bright midrange - and I just don't know how to get it on a VBT. Probably just down to a lack of experience with blend controls, I must admit...
[/quote]

Just put the blend in the middle and nudge it slightly forward until it sounds right. Then you have the option of muting your bass by rolling the volume off without having to readjust the balance!

I think there must be a slight difference though - in VBT you effectively have 3 pots in total (counting 2 housed in the blend pot) compared to 2. With everything fully open would the loading on the pickups be any different?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1499102918' post='3329199']
Not an issue for me. My preferred Jazz bass tone is everything on full.
[/quote]

I'm with you.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to drown in EQ possibilities and options, but I try to get a good tone and then the aim is to stick with it for the next ten years, at least.

I think the optimum for me would be V/V/T with a kill switch. However if you have the noiseless p/ups then V/T/4-way switch giving neck only/both parallel/both series/bridge only options works well for four instant tone changes.

Personally not a fan of the stacked knob J bass setup. YMMV of course

I mostly gigged with active basses and got used to a balance knob, but have a passive J now. I'm purely "set and forget", so mostly neck on full and bridge backed off a bit. If I found I was using neck only I'd get a P bass. In short, I'm happy with either.

I prefer a Balance pot as i use a lot of diferent tones troughout the gig, from full bridge for some funkiness to almost full neck for some reggae with a lot of prefered combinations in between for everything else. I just coudn't get all those tones and variations with the turn of a single knob with a VVT and keep my volume unchanged (well, in theory i could but it would be way more time consuming and more knob fiddling involved).

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1499145026' post='3329451']

a switch won't give you 100% Neck and 80% bridge, if you don't understand how a Jazz bass works don't try and tell us how
[/quote]

Really? Can a switch not do that? My mind is blown! Well aware of how a Jazz bass works, thank you very much. You seem to not understand that a smiley face after a comment signifies at the very least an attempt at humour, if you're going to be like that about it.

Why don't you get back into bed then try exiting from the other side? ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1499164083' post='3329585']
Why on earth would you touch the controls on a bass?

Set and forget, guys, set and forget.

B)
[/quote]

I think that depends on the tone you are after for the song. I go some reggae, blues, rock, funk, so for me I sometimes like a different sound for each :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1499164083' post='3329585']
Why on earth would you touch the controls on a bass?

Set and forget, guys, set and forget.

B)
[/quote]

I do it with the amp, pedals, bass EQ and volume but i do like to use the balance knob for my benefit. If my bass allows me to change the colour of my tone to fit the music style why on earth would i want not to use it? ;)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1499164622' post='3329593']
I think that depends on the tone you are after for the song. I go some reggae, blues, rock, funk, so for me I sometimes like a different sound for each :)
[/quote]

Precisely! :i-m_so_happy: