Why become a member? ×

Hypothetical LM4 - what would you want

Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1499184991' post='3329802']
A serious question (well not serious, but one that I genuinely don't know the answer to); Assuming/given that everything else remained the same when the change was made, can you actually hear the difference between the A/B and the D power sections? To be quite honest I don't even know if my LM3 is A/B or D.
[/quote]
I've not tried a Class D LM3 but haven't got on with any other Class D I have tried, and I've tried most of them out there. I just don't find they cut through as well so for me I'd rather go back to a Class A/B.

I had a class D LM3 in my CMD121P and it sounded just as punchy as my class AB separate LM3. The sound is primarily down to the pre amp which was identical. Markbass developed its own 500w class D power amp and it is very full sounding. The 1000W power amp is based on the same design elements.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1499190466' post='3329858']
I couldn't agree more with you about the EQ. This was my exact experience. Although I loved the amp and rate them very highly, they could do with the EQ points being jigged about IMO.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, it was a cracking amp, I really did enjoy the few years we had together. For my tastes they had the eq points for the high and low mids bang on, the low voiced perfectly for cutting out the boxy mids a little and I used to like to push the upper mids a touch to bring out the upper register notes.

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1499202641' post='3329971']
I had a class D LM3 in my CMD121P and it sounded just as punchy as my class AB separate LM3. The sound is primarily down to the pre amp which was identical. Markbass developed its own 500w class D power amp and it is very full sounding. The 1000W power amp is based on the same design elements.
[/quote]I suspect one of the other italian Class D companies designed it like Powersoft.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1499268448' post='3330418']
I suspect one of the other italian Class D companies designed it like Powersoft.
[/quote]

I don't think so. Markbass actually states that it invested a lot of resources in its own R&D to develop what it calls its MPT (Mark Proprietary Technology ) class D power amplifiers. Markbass may have been slightly economic with certain information in the past but I don't believe they are being untruthful about this.