Why become a member? ×

Inevitability of jazz?

JimBobTTD

As death/thrash metalhead since age 13, turning 41 next week and have searched but found only a handfull of jazz tunes that mean anything to me. Many thrash/death outfits take jazz inspiration into their music, Pestilence and Death come to mind for instance.
I picked up psychobilly as a distraction next to my usual fare. Not intending to slow down anytime soon.

I started with 80s metal like Iron Maiden and Megadeth, moved on to grunge, had a fairly lengthy indie period followed by hip hop and a bit of dance music.

In recent years Funk was my thing, which introduced me to Herbie Hancock, which in turn took me to Jazz.

So far I only like the smaller ensemble stuff,mostly from the 60s onwards, rather than trad, New Orleans or big big band, but never say never.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1499201538' post='3329962']
As death/thrash metalhead since age 13, turning 41 next week and have searched but found only a handfull of jazz tunes that mean anything to me. Many thrash/death outfits take jazz inspiration into their music, Pestilence and Death come to mind for instance.
I picked up psychobilly as a distraction next to my usual fare. Not intending to slow down anytime soon.
[/quote]

The most "jazzy" death metal band has to be Cynic. Much more so than Death. Even when the Cynic guys played on Chuck Schuldiners records, it was not really as "jazzy" as Cynic. This music is of course very much more metal than anything else. They used some unusual chords not often found in metal, unusual bass sound and "funky" bass playing by Sean Malone and unusual note choices for their soloing. Sean Malones project Gordian Not expanded even more into "non-metal" territory. Jarzombek from Spastic Ink (who also played guitar on the first (and maybe even the second) Guardian Knot record) was also very much into "unusual" stuff.

Nah. Like Clapton I started playing Blues in the 60s. Moved on to Rock and post Punk originals. Prog and Folk Rock. Now I love to play Funk as its a dream for a bassist or drummer, and I do both. I have dabbled with Fusion but have no real interest in playing Jazz. I have many Jazz albums and listen when in the mood, see what I did there?, but have no interest in playing it.

If the suggestion is that Jazz started before Blues, therefore its the roots of what we play now, I believe Blues pre dates Jazz.

Or is it the old chestnut that If you play Jazz you are a "Serious" musician? For me music is music, there are songs I like and songs I don't, genre has nowt to do with it. I am a "Serious" musician in that although a semi pro I take my music and playing seriously. As genres go Jazz is no more or less laudable than any other.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1499249896' post='3330238']
As genres go Jazz is no more or less laudable than any other.
[/quote]

Completely agree. Jazz has been my music for over fifty years and it's what I like to play. But I have never regarded myself as superior or inferior to a guy who plays any other kind of music. I admire the skill of many rock musicians and I certainly enjoy the sounds.