Great gear, old but gold.
i have at mo.....
2 swr super redhead 2x10 combos
1 swr 2x10 ext cab (900w)
1 swr 1x15 son of bertha cab
1 swr 500w sm500 amp
1 swr 6x10 golly

Been using the same super red head for 20 years, love it
had 3 red heads, 1 in the studio, one in the practice room, and one for gigging.
but just sold one of them.
If you like recording the redhead has one of the best bass studio preamps out there, worth having just for that.

All in all i cant fault it, clean clear crisp sharp and powerfull.
have no intensions of changing any of it in the future.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1508092205' post='3389704']
Great gear, old but gold.
i have at mo.....
2 swr super redhead 2x10 combos
1 swr 2x10 ext cab (900w)
1 swr 1x15 son of bertha cab
1 swr 500w sm500 amp
1 swr 6x10 golly

Been using the same super red head for 20 years, love it
had 3 red heads, 1 in the studio, one in the practice room, and one for gigging.
but just sold one of them.
If you like recording the redhead has one of the best bass studio preamps out there, worth having just for that.

All in all i cant fault it, clean clear crisp sharp and powerfull.
have no intensions of changing any of it in the future.
[/quote]

If I could get my hands on another Super Redhead I would!

[quote name='AlpherMako4' timestamp='1508095495' post='3389725']
If I could get my hands on another Super Redhead I would!
[/quote]

Another ?
why did you let it go ?
once you av gone Red, everything else sounds dead, :lol:
i just made that up ya know, yea , i was just sitting here and it came to me like a fla....al get me coat.. :unsure:

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1508172162' post='3390246']

Another ?
why did you let it go ?
once you av gone Red, everything else sounds dead, :lol:
i just made that up ya know, yea , i was just sitting here and it came to me like a fla....al get me coat.. :unsure:
[/quote]

No! Another!! So I have two!!! 😃👍🏻

I’m what you might call an SWR fan.

I’ve owned at various times:
1) Grand Prix pre amp
2) Black Beauty 1x15 combo, paired with Workingmans 2x10
3) 750X paired with Goliath III and Son of Bertha
4) 750X paired with Goliath II and Goliath III
5) Marcus Miller Pre paired with QSC poweramp and Goliath II and Goliath III
6) SM1500 paired with Goliath II and Goliath III
7) SM1500 paired with Goliath Snr 6x10

I still own the SM1500 plus the Goliath II albeit reconed with Eminence Deltalites.

You’ll find all SWR kit is heavy beyond belief (I can just about lift the SM1500 on my own) but it’s worth it for the tone.

I'm also what you would class as an Swr fan too !

I currently own the following bits of Swr kit -
Sm 400s
3 Goliath juniors
Stereo 800
Grand Prix pre-amp
Headlite & Amplite
Super redhead
Baby Blue II 1x10 combo

I used to own -
Sm400
Basic 2 way 1 x 15 cab
Son Of Bertha 1 x 15 cab.

I love the sound of the Swr cabs, back in the day, they were classed as light weight cabs.
But for me they sound awesome. Lovely tone :i-m_so_happy:

On the subject on their amps, some of them do run hot, but they were designed that way which their aluminium chassis
which was meant to disperse heat efficiently.
Their amps do sound very clean, I believe originally they were mainly designed to be studio & recording amps.
They do lack a bit of grit & mid range, I use a sansamp to dial all of that back in when playing live.

But lots of Swr love from me

I'm interested to know more about the Headlite and Amplite and what is the difference between the normal Redhead and Super Redhead?

[quote name='Bernmeister' timestamp='1508664873' post='3393581']
I'm also what you would class as an Swr fan too !

I currently own the following bits of Swr kit -
Sm 400s
3 Goliath juniors
Stereo 800
Grand Prix pre-amp
Headlite & Amplite
Super redhead
Baby Blue II 1x10 combo

I used to own -
Sm400
Basic 2 way 1 x 15 cab
Son Of Bertha 1 x 15 cab.

I love the sound of the Swr cabs, back in the day, they were classed as light weight cabs.
But for me they sound awesome. Lovely tone :i-m_so_happy:

On the subject on their amps, some of them do run hot, but they were designed that way which their aluminium chassis
which was meant to disperse heat efficiently.
Their amps do sound very clean, I believe originally they were mainly designed to be studio & recording amps.
They do lack a bit of grit & mid range, I use a sansamp to dial all of that back in when playing live.

But lots of Swr love from me
[/quote]

I must have bought a duff one; the Bassic Black combo. Wooly and uninspiring.
Strangely, it was bought new from The Bass Centre, but once opened up for repair a while later, it was discovered to have a cheap EV driver, despite SWR claiming that they have never use EV drivers in their cabs. A mystery

Edited by Roland Rock

Ive owned two Basic Black's each from the bass centre
i still have one' the first had No right' to be still working' after the abuse that it was treated too'( repaired a couple of times for Capacitors burning out' & dodgy plastic input jacks" i Sold it on & its still going!!!!.. i still absolutley love the Sound that comes from this Second Generation Combo'... in a small setting' an electric can emulate an upright tone' I prefered it to the Redhead simply because of its weight & portability...

Edited by paulo m

I use a pair of 18" Big Ben speakers, and before that a pair of Goliath 4x10" speakers. The Big Bens used to belong to the bassist from Simple Minds, and still have his name stencilled on the flight case (albeit now covered with ngaffer tape). They have a lower mid punch that cuts through perfectly between drums and guitar, and I drive them with a pair of Simms Watts valve amps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to Gunsfreddy2003 for my slow reply to his question regarding the differences between the Redhead & the Super Redhead.

The main differences is that the upgraded power handling & rating of the 2 x10 drivers that were used in them. 

Internal cooling fan, redesigned front & rear bracing panels, mute switch for the xlr output & front porting in the speaker sections.

Regarding the Headlite & Amplite, they came into play once Fender had taken over Swr & I guess were their attempts at going lightweight & trying to get into

a similar market of the Markbass  & the Genz Benz range of compact sized class D amps & which were proving very popular at the time.

The Headlite's were rated at 400w with a tube preamp, weighed in at approx 4lbs, had their well known aural enhancer kept in & had speakon jack outputs all housed in a half rack sized unit & came in a handy padded accessory back big enough to carry  unit itself, the optional matching poweramp - the "Amplite", the optional 2 button footswitch & cables. The Amplite was also rated at 400w again with a class D amplifier built into it. I personally found the sound a little bit thinner than my Sm400s & was offered a fantastic deal when I purchased both together, so that's what I did. The only downside is that if using these live is to make sure that you have fully tweaked you setting, as seeing & trying to make any adjustments is truly very difficult as the buttons are very small & close together & the writing on the front panels is very small too. 

Hope that this gives you an insight into the Headlite & the Amplite.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep coming back to this topic' because im using Live' a SM 400 a 1991 model which i purchased from a guy who bought it new & never did a gig with it!!! IT  Never left the house!!.. that amp bridged into an 8ohm S.O.B is More that i could ever need & the sound for myself....is way better' than the digital stuff  i hear people use... & rave about? Why change it?... well weight is an issue definately... but for build quality & longevity... are these  tonehammer's or tc's markbass's  etc... still going to be flavour of the month in years to come? Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2017 at 20:52, Creeper said:

Used to have a Redhead, one of the best sounding amp ever, however it was heavy and a little under powered!

Yep have to agree with that exactly. Owned my redhead for over 20 years and never had a problem with it.  

With an extn cab it was awesome.