Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1499607238' post='3332449']...or not!...
[/quote]

:rolleyes: :P

No, that's too cruel, and really unjustified. There is, somewhere in the Universe, on a far-flung planet, a place for music of the sort. There, Capt. Beefheart is revered, the lyrics of Doors tracks are fully understood and Canned Heat drones resound endlessly around the vast plains. Meals are taken out on the gun emplacement, thus avoiding unnecessary queuing for a seat on the quarterdeck. No anger, no violence, no angst, just the incessant driving forward (or not...) of the musical boundaries that encircle that globe. Yes, it is in rapid expansion; inevitably our dear planet Earth will become, in time (probably 4/4...), engulfed in the raucous circus of it all, and we'll thank Lenny for having brought it to our ears first.
Or not.
Mighty meaty, matey; thanks for sharing. B)

Edited by Dad3353

Due to weather, I thought I'd see what I could do in 2 1/2 hours... The answer is this little bit of weirdness, especially for our ex-pat members with a love of the accordion!

And it's been fiddled with some more now, link is in the future!
Though I suspect that to our Gallic friends would think it sounds like une vache Espagnole...

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1499791900' post='3333649']
Due to weather, I thought I'd see what I could do in 2 1/2 hours...
[/quote]

We'll have to hope for another hour or so of similar weather, so that you can sort out the mix, and get it right. :rolleyes:

:D :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit of a struggle this month,with a gammy ear infection that made mixing a laugh !! (Made up with a crackin' ride in Brittany on the bikes)....
So with all our excuses in place..... <_<, our ditty.

https://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/janet-and-john-were-dancers

[quote name='fingers211' timestamp='1500499813' post='3338338']
Well, a bit of a struggle this month,with a gammy ear infection that made mixing a laugh !! (Made up with a crackin' ride in Brittany on the bikes)....
So with all our excuses in place..... <_<, our ditty.

https://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/janet-and-john-were-dancers
[/quote]
Very good, I enjoyed that. Have you been taking lyric writing lessons from mr Lurksalot? Very lurksalotesque lyrics. Doesn't quite have the same ring as kafkaesque but I think the term lurksalotesque may catch on. The dictionary will describe it as 'lark a little like lurksalot'.

It's looking like I won't be able to get one in this month. That will break a 19 month unbroken streak of entries :( I had an idea but sadly not the time to execute it, or even start it. I blame a brief period of going on a few dates (extremely rare for me). Maybe there's time at the weekend... maybe...

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1500511409' post='3338406']
Very good, I enjoyed that. Have you been taking lyric writing lessons from mr Lurksalot? Very lurksalotesque lyrics. Doesn't quite have the same ring as kafkaesque but I think the term lurksalotesque may catch on. The dictionary will describe it as 'lark a little like lurksalot'.
[/quote][quote name='fingers211' timestamp='1500537755' post='3338483']
Why, thank you..

but one feels it falls short in wit,acuity and precision of phrase,to be considered as lurksalotesque.. ;)

Nige
[/quote][quote name='the boy' timestamp='1500564726' post='3338745']
Noble and wise response.
[/quote]

ROFLMAO :lol: , Now, I have seen that phrase used and thought it pretty stupid , but gents, have I just ROFLMAO :lol:

And thank you

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1500633740' post='3339232']...Sad song about an old boy reminiscing.........
[/quote]

Excellent, and an apt, timely follow-on from my non-entry Waltz; the same characters a few decades later..! Thanks for that; I do like a nice coincidence now and again..!

I've just knocked something together. The question now is whether to try and put drums on it and make it worse. I suspect Len Goodman would dislocate his hip trying to dance to it, what with the alternating bars of 9 and 7, and the random odd 8 thrown in there. Despite that, I think it sounds quite romantic.
So: to drum or not to drum....?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1499792381' post='3333653']
We'll have to hope for another hour or so of similar weather, so that you can sort out the mix, and get it right. :rolleyes:

:D :P
[/quote]

Due to rain today and a few moments spare I had a brief fiddle....

https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/the-big-bossa

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1500656166' post='3339447']
[/quote]

Very '[i]hispanique en speed[/i]'..! A great improvement (at times, briefly, I even fancy it's almost listenable..!), well done. :i-m_so_happy:
On another note, I hope the fiddle did you some good, too. :mellow:

Now I've finally got some time for writing again, and have resolved to learn how my DAW and related things actually work, this looks like just the thing to get me doing something... well that's what I thought until I saw the July picture, which seemed very much not up my street. But, you don't learn if you don't try so I had a last minute change of heart and had a go anyway. Unfortunately it turned into a sort of strange latin rock blues thing half way through, but it's better than I expected :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/adamgx/charangatangorock"]https://soundcloud.com/adamgx/charangatangorock[/url]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1500656166' post='3339447']

https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/the-big-bossa
[/quote]
That's nice and odd. Brings to mind 8-bit video game music.

I'm not going to make the deadline; unfortunately preparing to rehearse with my new band has taken up most of my writing time this month. I have something started, but the post-rock tango is unlikely to be fit for human ears until after the voting has finished.

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1500655249' post='3339438']...
BOOM!! Early for once!
[/quote]

... and more bolero than tango, but who's dancing, anyway..? Yes, the very lightly-brushed drums [i]do [/i]add; well done. B)

Edited by Dad3353