Why become a member? ×

needing a 5 string bass again, Sterling Sub or Ray 35?

Ian Davies

[font=Verdana][size=3]
Hi All[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
After having tried to simplify my playing with just using 4 string basses, I find myself missing having a 5 string bass, so I’m looking to get a cheap or reasonable priced 5 string to get back into it.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
I was thinking of the Sterling by Musicman Ray35 as it seems to fit what I’m looking for, then I saw the Sub Ray 5 and it seems really good value for the money. Does anyone have any experience with these 2 basses and is the Sub 5 usable as it is or does it need upgrading? Also how heavy are these basses?[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Any other ideas for a similar 5 string would be appreciated. I’m happy to swap out electronics to get the sound I want, so the main thing is the feel and spec of the instrument: 34” scale, 18mm string spacing, light weight, well balanced, cost under £1000 (ideally as cheap as possible but still a good instrument). If I can afford a bit more then the Sandberg basses look great but that’s stretching things too far for now.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Thanks all :)[/size][/font]

I had a sub ray 5, it was very good and fairly light. Don't have it any more but it was good while I had it.
I think the spacing is less than 18mm, in fact I know it was.

Loads of stuff less than £1000 that is excellent (most things i have in fact), although I don't know instruments that have 18mm spacing so can't advise. Are there not Yamaha fitting in that category?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1498902571' post='3327842']
I had a sub ray 5, it was very good and fairly light. Don't have it any more but it was good while I had it.
I think the spacing is less than 18mm, in fact I know it was.

Loads of stuff less than £1000 that is excellent (most things i have in fact), although I don't know instruments that have 18mm spacing so can't advise. Are there not Yamaha fitting in that category?
[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Thanks, string spacing wise I don’t want 19 or 16.5, so anything in between is fine. I’ll have a look into Yamaha.[/size][/font]

I have a Yamaha BB425 for sale in the classified... :ph34r: 18mm spacing at the bridge....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305975-yamaha-bb425-black-excellent-condition-now-l250/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

6 months play from new in very good nick.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1498909773' post='3327912']
I have a Yamaha BB425 for sale in the classified... :ph34r: 18mm spacing at the bridge....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305975-yamaha-bb425-black-excellent-condition-now-l250/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

6 months play from new in very good nick.
[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Hi Paul[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Thanks for letting me know. The bass looks really nice and a great price, however a bit too heavy for me though. Good luck with the sale.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1498913220' post='3327945']
How about a secondhand EBMM Stingray 5? That'll be well within your budget for a standard model and you won't need to change the electronics.
[/quote]

If a Yamaha BB425 is too heavy a Stingray 5 is going to be even heavier. A Sterling 5 wouldn't be, though - much lighter. I have one that is considerably under 9lbs.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1498920776' post='3327992']
If a Yamaha BB425 is too heavy a Stingray 5 is going to be even heavier. A Sterling 5 wouldn't be, though - much lighter. I have one that is considerably under 9lbs.
[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Under 9lb for a sterling 5, that sounds ideal. Now I’ve just got to find one to try out![/size][/font]

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1498928670' post='3328070']
There's a Ray 35 for sale on Belfast gumtree for £500. Well worth a look as it's been modded by the guitar tech owner.

Frank.
[/quote]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Thanks for the heads up :)[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I really appreciate them all.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
From what’s been said here and what I’ve heard the SUB or Sterling Ray35 do sound ideal and the new version of the Yamaha BB basses are said to be lighter so that’s a possibility as well. I prefer to try before I buy, so the next step is finding these basses near by - not so easy in rural Dorset! So might have to end up just buying something to give it a go and hope for the best.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
interpol52 & Frank: USA SUB? I thought they where made in Asia?[/size][/font]

[quote name='Ian Davies' timestamp='1498977308' post='3328279']

[font=Verdana][size=3]Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I really appreciate them all.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]From what’s been said here and what I’ve heard the SUB or Sterling Ray35 do sound ideal and the new version of the Yamaha BB basses are said to be lighter so that’s a possibility as well. I prefer to try before I buy, so the next step is finding these basses near by - not so easy in rural Dorset! So might have to end up just buying something to give it a go and hope for the best.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]interpol52 & Frank: USA SUB? I thought they where made in Asia?[/size][/font]
[/quote]

The original SUB bass was made in USA between 2003 and 2005. (Or thereabouts.)

The story is that they were taking sales away from the Stingray and so losing them money. Whether that's true or an urban legend , I don't know.

Frank.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1498920776' post='3327992']
If a Yamaha BB425 is too heavy a Stingray 5 is going to be even heavier.
[/quote]

True - exactly why I changed from a Stingray 5 to a Sterling 4 with a Hipshot so I could go down to Low B when needed

I was thinking of off loading my Sire Marcus Miller V7 Vintage 5 string complete with Sire gigbag. Has an 18mm string spacing & would come in at under half your budget! PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Wilco

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1499745565' post='3333258']
Look at Spector's Korean ranges, I love my Spectorcore and others say the Legend is great. Super value, well within your price range and brilliant quality.
[/quote]

Thanks for the idea.

Spector are great basses but I've tried them in the past and the ergonomics didn't suit me. Maybe I should give them a try again as I want to keep an open mind and don't want to miss out on possibilities.

Cheers.

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1499076839' post='3328938']
I was thinking of off loading my Sire Marcus Miller V7 Vintage 5 string complete with Sire gigbag. Has an 18mm string spacing & would come in at under half your budget! PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Wilco
[/quote]

My vote is for the Sire, best basses under 1000 quid hands down. They are suitable for any pro gig.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1499797408' post='3333711']
How about a G&L L2500 Tribute.
[/quote]
The Swiss Army Knife of basses but all the ones I had were heavy.
Surprised no one has mentioned the 'M' word. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254344-the-official-maruszczyk-club/
You'll get exactly what you want from Adrian.