Why become a member? ×

No love for Ashdown Retroglide?

SamPlaysBass

There's lots of Ashdown fans out there, with lots praise for the ABM and the RM series, but how come no love for the Retroglide? It seems like a cracking amp on paper and had a very nice sound when I tried one for 10 mins in a music shop. They are also very nicely priced and made in the U.K. with a 5 year warranty. Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing? Why aren't these flying out of the shop?

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1498825658' post='3327359']
There seems to be quite a bit of love on these forums for them I think - never tried one but they would certainly be among the contenders should I be in the market for a small amp.
[/quote]

Thought you didn't like class-D?

Love mine, but it is a micro and it's not an old Trace. With passive basses I nearly always use a Sansamp or Sadowsky preamp to warm it up. But it's small robust and simple...great stuff.

Now, if I was going to complain..it would be fan noise (now improved?) silly name, not even a great album..and the 800w rating. But I still love it😜

Love mine, it worked well with Mibass 10 cabs and also a Barefaced 12T. Positive comments from my band buddies and easy to get the right sound using the graphic sliders.
I use a DHA VT1 bas pedal with it and it sounds a treat.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1498844775' post='3327552']
Mmm that a interesting one you either love ashdown stuff or you don't , bit like marmite .🤢
[/quote]

True, for some reason Ashdown just doesn't do it for me and I can't really give a good reason.

Lovely bit of kit, well built, solid and very simple to use. They have a very clean sound that is easy to tweak. I think they are a bit of a bargain £379

I had one but sent it back as it was too clean for me and wasn't loud enough at 8ohm. It didn't sound like your normal Ashdown... still very cool though. Bought an EVO 4 to replace it.

Would I have another? Yes, but not for this band.

PMT offer finance as well, extra tempting...

How do these stack up against the ABM and RM heads? I'm currently looking at financing one to have as a backup to a TecAmp Puma that needs a bit of work doing to it.

I prefer clean tones, and would run a SansAmp into it for some dirt!

[quote name='Williams4S' timestamp='1499114284' post='3329343']
PMT offer finance as well, extra tempting...

How do these stack up against the ABM and RM heads? I'm currently looking at financing one to have as a backup to a TecAmp Puma that needs a bit of work doing to it.

I prefer clean tones, and would run a SansAmp into it for some dirt!
[/quote]

Completely different animal to the ABM. Retroglide is a lot cleaner, the ABM is rawk n roll

I love (the idea of) this amp, on paper it has everything i need as my tone comes from the bass and hands, only need amp to make it sound louder and correct the room accoustics if needed. Haven't jumped on the wagon due to reading comments about the overated 800W power and fan noise. If ashdown re-releases this with the new'ish 700W ICE poweramp module and a noiseles fan (c'mon, if i can get a cheap noiseless fan for my PC very easily what's the deal with using an old spitfire engine as fan!!!) i'll jump on the bandwagon!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I've never pushed the master over 40% of it's travel...there is plenty of power there. Like most micro amps, I suspect it does just keep getting louder as you keep turning it. I've been told the fans are quieter now, but I do wonder if it's necessary...mine has never even got warm when pushing two cabs into a 4ohm load.

Best to think of it as a 400w power amp, with eq for "room correction".

Give them a call - at current PMT price (£379?) it's a bargain.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1502277141' post='3350382']
Does this amp have the same power as the RM 800 ? People think the RM 800 is loud and the Retroglide is lacking . Why is that ?
[/quote]

They do indeed have the same power amp. I suspect that being ultra clean vs the RM preamp means the RM feels fuller and louder. It could also be that the RM preamp pushes the poweramp harder too...

I AB'd both the Retroglide 800 and the RM500 the other day through the same ABM 4x10 in PMT in Cardiff. The volume and input Knobs on the Retroglide were both at 12 o'clock and I got some nice sounds out of it. By contrast, I plugged into the RM and had to secure the knobs at 9 o'clock for everyone's safety! The RM is massively louder, but as Merton suggested, it may be because it's been 'voiced', whereas the Retroglide is extremely clean. I'd even go as far as to say that the Retroglide would be a good option for those running other instruments (keyboard, guitar etc.) as its crystal clear. The RM, despite being 300 watts down, blew it out of the park for volume, but was very heavily voiced towards the 'punch you in the face and rob your wallet' end of the spectrum. A Retroglide could probably do the same, but would need some time spending with that lovely EQ to do the same.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1498831614' post='3327437']
Love mine, but it is a micro and it's not an old Trace. With passive basses I nearly always use a Sansamp or Sadowsky preamp to warm it up. But it's small robust and simple...great stuff.

Now, if I was going to complain..it would be fan noise (now improved?) silly name, not even a great album..and the 800w rating. But I still love it😜
[/quote]it users the same power amp
Module as the Mesa Subway Genzler Magellan and many others. Really it is 700 Wstts into 4 ohms 350 into 8. It can drive loads down to 2.66 but only if really well cooled.