Why become a member? ×

Where do people get these names?

Happy Jack

Virginia Longanese

Fred Fish

Monica Messias

All from when I worked at Barclays Bank as a kid.
There were also a lot of unrepeatably smutty ones.

Plus the chief clerk (who was in overall charge of the ledgers) had an evil sense of humour when it came to dividing up the ledger sections. Ones I can remember are BIG - BRA and TIT - VEE.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499068533' post='3328856']
I have a mate who is known to all and sundry as Queasy. For a long time, I never actually knew his real name, it was always Queasy.

Real name? Phil Pawley.
[/quote]
Genius.

I had a uncle called Thomas Thomas and I went to school with a kid called Christopher Christopher. You have to blame the parents...

In the jungle, the mighty jungle.....

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/Mobile%20Uploads/AEE1F1D2-370E-4FBE-8B0F-CFCFF5C7682C.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/JohnnyWishbone035/Mobile%20Uploads/AEE1F1D2-370E-4FBE-8B0F-CFCFF5C7682C.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot a local singer back in the seventies Wayne Kerr. And I am another one who hadn't noticed the Jenny Taylor thing.

MY J.T. was the drummer for local band The Chequers, featuring "big fat Bubs from Cambridge" (Bonzo Dog Doodah Band) on guitar.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/lifestyle/nostalgia/bubs-look-bonzo-dog-band-3117612

I worked with a guy a few years back by the name of Andy Bunce. He got married but his wife didn't really want to take his name (I wonder why?). So he did that modern thing of hyphenating their names... and became Andy DeCastro-Bunce :huh:

Working freelance, I've met many people with 'unusual' names, the ones that spring to mind immediately are:

Daniel Spaniel,
Julie C Hicken (that's how she always signed off emails - and Hicken was her married name),
David Essex (not THAT one)
Ian Anderson (or THAT one either)
Luke Walker (to be fair, when he was born that was a perfectly good name until a few years later and George Lucas came along)
John Thomas.

Circumstances have not been kind to a few people, but you do wonder what the thought process of some parents are when choosing names for their offspring; perhaps they're all Johnny Cash fans? :D

I was working on a project a few years back, and had to ring around to make some enquiries about a particular part of the job, so, I rang one place up, asked for the Estimating Dept. only to hear, "Yes, you need to speak to Roy Rogers". I like think I managed to conduct the enquiry conversation professionally, however, I'm not sure I pulled it off too well for sniggering most of the way through.

I briefly had the misfortune of working in a call centre some years ago (soul destroying outbound sales stuff). One of the girls there made a call to someone who's records appeared to have been completed with a made up name.
Except when she spoke to him it turned out that the details were correct and his name really was Mr Quentin Plipperty-Knickers!

I have also seen a record of an individual named Mr Ramjam Funkeyboogaloo. Obviously this has been changed by deed poll though (the file shows that his previous name was actually Ramjam Funkeyboogaloo-Smythe).

Edit:- I should also point out that as my first name is Richard I am myself Dick Pain.

Edited by Painy

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1501444159' post='3344723']
There's a school near me with a girl called A-ha, which leaves mostly people doing their best Partridge impersonation or if they are slightly more original singing Take On Me. It's pronounced A-dash-a.
[/quote]

Some people must really hate their kids....That is ridiculous!!!!