Why become a member? ×

The demise of the CD?

oldbass

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1498755982' post='3326866']
This argument that vinyl is better quality, yadda yadda is rubbish. Blind test no one would have a clue which is which format.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure, I reckon in a blind test the scratches, clicks, and hiss of the 'superior' vinyl record would be a dead giveaway! The only advantage I can see to them is that they are big enough for decent artwork and sleeve notes you can read without a microscope.

Not sure whether to be depressed that people are so gullible, or pleased that this will boost the value of my 300+ vinyl collection (all purchased before CDs were available). Got to get round to selling that stuff one of these days. I will keep a handful just for the cover art / sentimental reasons.

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1498753016' post='3326854']
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40445192"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-40445192[/url]

Hope so...
[/quote]

It makes sense to take advantage of the current fashion. How long it'll last, I don't know but if there's a market... it makes sense.
Killing the CD? If it dies I think it won't be because of the vinyl comeback. I think it is dying because as a digital format, there are much more convenient platforms these days. Unlike the vinyl records, the CD is not likely to have a nostalgic effect, so once it goes it'll probably be gone forever... so it's interesting that the vinyl record may outlast CDs in the end!

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1498757127' post='3326878']
Not sure whether to be depressed that people are so gullible, or pleased that this will boost the value of my 300+ vinyl collection (all purchased before CDs were available). Got to get round to selling that stuff one of these days. I will keep a handful just for the cover art / sentimental reasons.
[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking... I should cash in my collection before the fashion is gone! :)

What next? The fax machine has a resurgence?!

This argument that vinyl is better quality, yadda yadda is rubbish. Blind test no one would have a clue which is which format.
[/quote]

A good quality vinyl LP played on a good quality turntable through a decent amp and speakers will sound superior to a compressed digital format. You can tell the difference but the playback device makes a massive difference.

Is it enough to justify the price and convenience issues? Depends on the beholder and the situation.

I don't see the point in 4k screens when we have HD but I have a mate who goes loopy about them.

Each to their own.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1498757049' post='3326876']

I'm not so sure, I reckon in a blind test the scratches, clicks, and hiss of the 'superior' vinyl record would be a dead giveaway! The only advantage I can see to them is that they are big enough for decent artwork and sleeve notes you can read without a microscope.
[/quote]

With you there Dave. I really miss the size of an LP when it comes to artwork.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1498758486' post='3326892']
A good quality vinyl LP played on a good quality turntable through a decent amp and speakers will sound superior to a compressed digital format. You can tell the difference but the playback device makes a massive difference.

Is it enough to justify the price and convenience issues? Depends on the beholder and the situation.

I don't see the point in 4k screens when we have HD but I have a mate who goes loopy about them.

Each to their own.
[/quote]

Aren't you forgetting sumthing?...todays original recording will still be crappy compressed digital, or are studios now going over to four inch tape and Fostex to keep the whole thing "authentic", I doubt it somehow.
I listen to some of my stuff from the 70's and late 60's and just know it's highly doubtful its ever going to be replicated...

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1498762426' post='3326927']

Aren't you forgetting sumthing?...todays original recording will still be crappy compressed digital, or are studios now going over to four inch tape and Fostex to keep the whole thing "authentic", I doubt it somehow.
I listen to some of my stuff from the 70's and late 60's and just know it's highly doubtful its ever going to be replicated...
[/quote]

Fair point!

Vinyl is making a pretty good comeback, and they do sell at gigs as well as online. I agree def re the artwork etc, much better to be able to actually see/read it, but sound-wise, well sure if we`re talking mega expensive systems there may be noticeable difference in quality with vinyl coming out on top, but on my set-up CDs win.

What is going to kill CD is downloads rather than vinyl. To my grandkids a vinyl record might as well be a penny-farthing bike. Besides which, with the advent of Tidal and lossless audio etc. downloads can sound very good on a decent system.

I have a burgeoning vinyl collection, and it is mostly due to the improved artwork and physical ritual of setting up and really listening to an album as a whole, rather than skipping through something with a remote.

I truly can't remember the last CD I bought, not because I have been collecting vinyl for a long time but due to streaming totally replacing them. If I want a quick music hit, I reach for my phone, or even Youtube, not a CD. If I want to really listen to a piece of music and enjoy it as a tactile experience as well as an audible one, vinyl over CD every time for me.

What next? The fax machine has a resurgence?!

[/quote]

utter rubbish. I guarantee you that an audiophile will very quickly tell you which is which. Even with my damaged ears I reckon I could still tell the difference. Through decent gear though, quality needs quality. Vinyl through a bluetooth speaker boom box ain't gonna do it.

Have you ever played an album thru a decent turntable and stereo system? Chalk and cheese between that and an overcompressed CD. Don't get me started on 128kb MP3s.....

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1498808239' post='3327126']
Don't get me started on 128kb MP3s.....
[/quote]

If that's your digital format comparison, yes... digital will not win. But we've come a long way from 128kbps MP3. In fact, we've moved beyond MP3 although I still use them... I converted my CD collection -and some vinyl!- to 320kbps MP3 years ago... for my listening habits/locations they work really well and they're certainly no worse than the turntables the vast majority of people used to own. Comparing vinyl in an 'audiophile' setup with a very lossy digital encoding played on average equipment is not exactly a fair comparison.

In addition, we seem to be ignoring that most of modern music will actually be *digital* by the time it gets to be pressed... so whether it goes into a CD or vinyl is little more than an anecdote in the whole process.

edit: I do think that 'average' music equipment is of inferior quality today than 30 years ago. The vast majority of people have never listened to music through decent equipment. Maybe it's a reflection of how we seem to focus less... while before it was common to sit and listen with full attention, now music often becomes a background activity. Quality of sound is not so important when we're not actively focusing on it most of the time...

Edited by mcnach

The demise of the cd was well in progress before the big music companies got on the vinyl resurgence hipster bandwagon.
Ever tried buying CD storage these days? You just can't get anything half way decent. Since moving house my six hundred odd CD collection has remained boxed in the loft.
What's crazy is having the option to buy a download album at 10.99 or buy the cd with free instant download for 4.99.
Am sure in ten years my daughter will be excitedly asking me "dad did you have a Sony minidisc? Got any in the loft? They're sooooo cool!!!"

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1498813466' post='3327184']
The demise of the cd was well in progress before the big music companies got on the vinyl resurgence hipster bandwagon.
Ever tried buying CD storage these days? You just can't get anything half way decent. Since moving house my six hundred odd CD collection has remained boxed in the loft.
What's crazy is having the option to buy a download album at 10.99 or buy the cd with free instant download for 4.99.
Am sure in ten years my daughter will be excitedly asking me "dad did you have a Sony minidisc? Got any in the loft? They're sooooo cool!!!"
[/quote]

what gets me is that tape is now also considered cool...

TAPE!!!!!!!

I don't mean fast dense wide studio quality tape... I'm talking standard C60 and C90 slow sh*tty hissy tape. :huh:

Our singer was talking about issuing our next CD on tape. I laughed very loudly... they think it's just because I'm set in my ways, being older than most of them (15 years older or a bit more! but I'm immature enough to still fit in :P) however, they forget that I WAS THERE WHEN TAPE WAS COMMON. And it sucked. That's why it was dropped fast as soon as we had any other suitable portable platforms.

Tape!!! (waves walking stick in the air)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498814384' post='3327200']
what gets me is that tape is now also considered cool...

TAPE!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Allow me to join you in waving my walking stick at the sky! Seriously, I could understand the nostalgia for vinyl, especially for albums that were originally recorded during the decades when vinyl was the dominant medium...but tape really baffles me. It's almost like the hipsters were getting worried that their boutique vinyl collections were becoming far too mainstream, so they needed to find something more obscure to play their music on.
"Who cares if the sound quality was crap from the off? I can look really unique and cool as I dust off my dad's old boombox and listen to this fuzzy recording of some band you wouldn't have heard of while I rub avocado oil into my beard."

Roll up and place your bets on which comes back next:
1. 78rpm gramophone records
2. cartridges
3. wax cylinders

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1498814579' post='3327203']
The only reference point I have to my first band is on a copied tape. My 2005 vw actually had a tape deck. It destroyed that tape. Tape must be not just dead but extinct by now surely??
[/quote]

To (mis)quote the author Jasper Fforde, we seem to be taking these [i]great leaps backwards[/i] where deliverable media is involved, the slow slide back to vinyl, wet film etc. I'm sick of the vinyl is better argument...sure it is! Well, if you like to listen to your music while living next to a railway line while eating crisps. Surely artists would prefer to have their music played back in the pristine quality of how it left the studio?

Anyhow, tape. Sigh. Someone (let's just refer to all these fools as 'hipsters'), some [i]hipster[/i], has come up with this ridiculous concept. It's just a matter of time before old cassettes, ghosts of Christmas-past stored for years in shoeboxes in hot attics, will make a resurgent return along with people saying, 'Maaaan, I love the sound from those old TDK D tapes. The hiss is great, it really adds to the ambience of the piece.'

World. Gone. Crazy.

IIRC the only benefit of cassette tape over vinyl was convenience. Once CDs arrived it lost it's USP. What has possessed people to want it back is not something I understand. Nostalgia? Crappy sound for the sake of it? What?

In truth I've always been a bit of a fence-sitter in the Vinyl vs. CD debate: on the one hand CD has measurably better audio fidelity than even the best vinyl, but on the other hand a good vinyl setup is just so nice to listen to. Hmmm... <_<

Speaking of such things, it just so happens that I've recently set up the hifi system in our new house. It's a vinyl/CD-based system consisting mostly of Rega units with a Thorens record deck. Now that I think about it this is the first house I've had it working in for about 6 or 7 years (a tale much too long and tedious to relate here). So far I've only tried out a few CDs with it, and I can't believe how good it still sounds! Over the weekend I'll be putting some of my vinyl collection through it's paces and will report back in due course.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1498816319' post='3327222']
IIRC the only benefit of cassette tape over vinyl was convenience. Once CDs arrived it lost it's USP.
[/quote]

You are forgetting the recordability side - rewritable CDs came along a lot later and were still more of a faff to use (though far better quality) than cassette. I'm sure many of us will have memories of making "mix-tapes" or of borrowing friends' (expensive) LPs to tape.