Why become a member? ×

Setlist refresh - song suggestions please...

solo4652

We need to update and refresh our setlist. Being a bunch of 50 year olds, we're not exactly bang up to date with current music trends, and there is a tendency to default to the 80's and 90's when choosing songs. Song choice proves pretty challenging, with each band member having their own preferred genres and eras.The whole process gets fairly heated and tiring

Band details;

5-piece; drums, bass, guitar, keys (+ BV's), lead vocals. Excellent lead singer with good range. We haven't had to change a song key so far - bliss! Guitarist is (prog) rocker and likes to play technically challenging guitar-led songs with "interesting" solos. Think Led Zeppelin..., keys player is very experienced and also welcomes the chance to play fairly technical songs e.g. Dancing on the ceiling, Jump. I'm more towards the groove/soul/funk/pop vibe. Drummer is good and plays along to most things as long as they're crowd-pleasers.

Current setlist has the usual Killers, Kings of Leon, Stereophonics, Valerie stuff, alongside things like Mr Blue Sky, Iris, Hold back the river, Never tear us apart, Drops of Jupiter. As I left rehearsal last night, the keys player and guitarist were talking about Meatloaf...

New songs;

We're looking for songs that:

Are from this century
Are well-known and popular
Will get people - especially 20 and 30 year olds - up and dancing at the Dog and Duck on a Saturday night
Are technically and musically interesting enough to engage the guitarist and keys player

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

Well.........guaranteed bouncer newish and doable - The Killers Mr Brightside
Different........... Aloe Blacc - I need a Dollar
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffanies
Rembrandts - I'll be there for you
Queen - Crazy little ting

All crowd Pleasers

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1498726869' post='3326551']

............... As I left rehearsal last night, the keys player and guitarist were talking about Meatloaf...

[/quote]

Theres a thread entitled "reasons to leave a band"