Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1 EQ Bass Drive - please tell me about them?

Al Krow

Guys - I've got space on my pedal board for one more pedal after deciding not to go ahead with a Tech 21 PDDI (having been a bit underwhelmed with its stablemate BDDI).

I've heard some very good things about the DHA VT1 pedals and, in particular, the VT1 EQ Bass Drive. Grateful if you those of you who have (or previously had) one of these could share your thoughts on them and whether you think I should invest in getting one, or alternatively not bother (and, if so, why)?

Cheers

AK

Do they still need 12v? That was a disadvantage for me. Also they are large.

Other than that, they are very versatile. I used mine as a boost, an overdrive and a powerful EQ. The DI is good too. I never used the headphone function but can see how it would be useful to some.

Quality and useful piece of kit

I ran a DHA for yeas and loved it. Mine was used primarily to add some dirt to an uber clean SWR head and it was also my home rehearsal tool. They run perfectly well at 9v; I just used a polarity inverter from my pedal board power supply as mine was centre positive.

The DI was really clean too and I'd recommend one in a heartbeat.

I've had a VT2 twin EQ bass years and I don't think I have ever turned it off. Blue channel on all the time, switch to red for more dirt.

IMO, the Paradriver is a completely different animal to the BDDI and one of the few things I regret moving on. I'd like another just for the chuck in a gig bag simplicity.

Cheers guys - some very positive comments so far.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1498639329' post='3325997']
DHA are coming out with a new line of effects of you can be patient. There's a thread on here with him.
[/quote]

I did see that, thanks, and was what partly sparked my interest for this thread. Looking forward to checking out the new releases.

[quote name='johnnylager' timestamp='1498647926' post='3326073']
I've had a VT2 twin EQ bass years and I don't think I have ever turned it off. Blue channel on all the time, switch to red for more dirt.

IMO, the Paradriver is a completely different animal to the BDDI and one of the few things I regret moving on. I'd like another just for the chuck in a gig bag simplicity.
[/quote]

Quite high praise if it's an always on pedal! Interested that you moved on the Paradriver but not VT2 - dunno if it's a fair Q, but how would you compare the two?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1498675602' post='3326295']
Quite high praise if it's an always on pedal! Interested that you moved on the Paradriver but not VT2 - dunno if it's a fair Q, but how would you compare the two?
[/quote]
Valves sound better than valve emulation, but aren't really something you can chuck in yer gig bag. Dave had just released the VT2 and I had to have it, unfortunately at the expense of the PD.

Add in the possibilities opened up by the gain stages of the VT2 and it's incredibly versatile, not to mention the kitchen drawer handle protecting the valves and the Saw paint job.

Would I do the same again? No, I would get the VT2 and keep the PD, for the simplicity of those gigs where I don't need a pedalboard and chucking a pre and a tuner in a gig bag is the order of the day.

Form vs function. VT2 is better, but PD is just easier. If Dave did ever make a battery valve pedal, I'd get it, if he doesn't, I'll get another PD 😃
/lotsofwords

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' timestamp='1498689985' post='3326433']
Form vs function. VT2 is better, but PD is just easier. If Dave did ever make a battery valve pedal, I'd get it, if he doesn't, I'll get another PD
/lotsofwords
[/quote]

Cheers for that. Picking up on your final comment - is it just the battery that makes the PD "easier" or are there other features as well that make the DHA less user friendly / the PD more user friendly? (The battery point is not a particular concern for me as a I have Ciocks DC8 on my pedal board)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1498725273' post='3326535']
Cheers for that. Picking up on your final comment - is it just the battery that makes the PD "easier" or are there other features as well that make the DHA less user friendly / the PD more user friendly? (The battery point is not a particular concern for me as a I have Ciocks DC8 on my pedal board)
[/quote]
Yep, just the battery - the controls on the DHA are quite self explanatory. As for power, the PD would obviously be fine on your PSU but a [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive.pdf"]VT1[/url] needs 9-12v @ 600mA.

E: - I am referring to the v1 PD, BTW - not tried the v2 (or the v2 BDDI).

E II: - Just reread your OP - I think you should invest in getting one.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' timestamp='1498738224' post='3326702']
a [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive.pdf"]VT1[/url] needs 9-12v @ 600mA.

E II: - Just reread your OP - I think you should invest in getting one.
[/quote]

Cheers. When you say invest in getting one, I assume you're meaning the the DHA rather than the Tech 21?

In terms of power supply I've got two spare 12V 300mA outputs on my Ciocks DC8, which suggests that if I run them in parallel to provide a 12V 600mA power feed, they have the DHA's name on it. Not least given that all my other pedals are 9V so these two 12V outputs are currently being unused. (I see from his website that there is suitable power supply adaptor available for those that don't).

Just need to find out when his new range is coming out now then...although might be good to have all the switches on the VT1 on the top rather than a couple at the side - let's see if we can persuade him on that front too!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1498748613' post='3326816']
Cheers. When you say invest in getting one, I assume you're meaning the the DHA rather than the Tech 21?

In terms of power supply I've got two spare 12V 300mA outputs on my Ciocks DC8, which suggests that if I run them in parallel to provide a 12V 600mA power feed, they have the DHA's name on it. Not least given that all my other pedals are 9V so these two 12V outputs are currently being unused. (I see from his website that there is suitable power supply adaptor available for those that don't).

Just need to find out when his new range is coming out now then...although might be good to have all the switches on the VT1 on the top rather than a couple at the side - let's see if we can persuade him on that front too!
[/quote]

Been working on the new range since the useful suggestions and will do the VT1-EQ-Di-Bass first. I have ordered some smaller latching push buttons to replace the normal toggle types used now. I hope to fit all of these on the top if the space permits but if one or two have to go on the side then they are much less likely to be damaged.

Working on a new silkscreen artwork as well with help from a BC member.

The valve sticking out the top is harder to fix with the current design of PCBs. The hole is there so it is possible to swap the valve without having to remove the PCB so I want to keep it but looking at a guard to stop damage.

Prototypes should be complete very soon.

Dave

Edited by DHA