Why become a member? ×

How does this guy mute?

Westenra

This guy is pretty popular on the old YouTube;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FzFK8wgl8Y

I'm pretty sure all tracks are prerecorded and he's only playing for the camera which might answer the question - how does this guy mute with his right hand? In some of these scenes he's got no muting points on the A string, or am I missing something here? In other scenes he's using the thumb anchor but not always.

• 3 months later...

To me it looks mainly like right hand muting. He rests his thumb on the E string to mute that. Then he is resting his ring / middle finger on the string lower (in pitch) than the string he is playing. I have never enjoyed his videos as I really don’t like his tone, but fair play to him he is making a decent living for himself on you tube doing what he loves!

Looks live to me. If the bass playing is pre recorded or live and your technique isn't good enough you'll hear ringing notes either way.

I struggled to get to 1.17 mins but to me he's muting all over the place with either hand in the different sections. He's also playing pretty cleanly so he's not hitting the stings he's not playing. His playing and muting sounds pretty effective.