Why become a member? ×

Ed Sheerhan at Glastonbury.

Cato

I think his songs are samey too but he did have 9 of the top 10 singles the week his new album came out, so I think my opinion is likely a minority one...
My elder daughters like his tunes too, i think middle-aged bass players isn't his target market.
Plus it has inspired countless buskers with loop pedals to hit the streets...

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1498424763' post='3324559']
I realise the whole acoustic guitar and looper thing is his thing, but I reckon he'd be better off with a band.

And a grown up's guitar.
[/quote]
[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1498464797' post='3324697']
I don't think he was that great imho. Needs a band to fill out the sound. Also his guitar is horrible looking and sounding.
[/quote]
[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1498465886' post='3324708']
A street corner busker. With loops.
[/quote]

^ all of this. I didn't watch his Glastonbury set, admittedly, but having heard some of his songs, I'm left genuinely wondering: [b]What exactly is he doing that KT Tunstall didn't already nail about ten years before?[/b]

I only know the one song (Shape of you), but.. he didn't do it for me. it doesn't help that I got bored of looping 10 years ago, and his guitar sounded like like someone beating bed springs with cutlery.

When he started rapping, I LOLed and turned over.

(I happily acknowledge that millions of people disagree with me).

He seems a decent enough lad and you've gotta respect his cojones, getting out there in front of that crowd on his own. Not my bag at all but there are far worse douchebags out there earning heaps of dosh and with far less talent. I keep giving Radiohead chance after chance and watched 40 mins of their set but their music is still plain dull. I don't get all the fanboy worship. Chic delivered but I thought all that slap n' pop was out of place and I'm a huge fan of the style. Still not quite the same without Nard. Also watched the Foos set. Not a band I follow but there's no doubting DG's stage presence. Pity the rest of of his band cant match him. I dipped in and out over the 3 days but didn't see much else that made me sit up and take notice. There were also many hugely boring sets e.g. London Grammar. Ay caramba, this band have lowered the bar for bland.

There were a few smaller acts I liked that I don't remember the name of. I liked Royal Blood and Foo Fighters. I haven't seen chic yet or some of the other acts that I expect I will like.

I am sure if I was there I would have loved everything, as it is different when you are live, but Ed Sheeran really isn't my sort of thing - I am sure he is great at what he does but I have seen people who I felt were better at that and it still bored me. I really am not a fan of acoustic guitars and as previously said, looping only has so much time of keeping interest. I am not doubting his talent.

I am not sure what people are supposed to be jealous of though?

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1498492177' post='3324990']
Were there any acts that anyone liked? I smell a lot of jealousy here. Could be wrong. :)
[/quote]

Chic were fantastic, Royal Blood smashed it, The Courteeners sounded pretty good, and the Killers doing Mr Brightside made hairs on the back of my neck stand up, I tried our Ed couldn't get into it, turned over to Biffy Clyro who shouted at me a lot but sounded ok, possibly not as shouty as Foo Fighters and Radiohead, oh Radiohead I so wanted to like the set but it just didn't happen....well there's my Glastonbury review for you!

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1498492177' post='3324990']
Were there any acts that anyone liked? I smell a lot of jealousy here. Could be wrong. :)
[/quote]
I watched far too many hours, liked- almost all of it, loved - royal blood, FF, Killers, The Sherlocks, didn't like - Radiohead, very dreary, Ed, one trick pony, Biffy Clyro, usually love them but just too shouty and not at their best by a long way. I even watched ten minutes of Katy Perry!

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1498431445' post='3324620']
Busiest guitar tech of the night.
[/quote]
That's Super-Trev! He's Level 42 / Mark King's tech too.
Lovely chap, really nice guy & very good at his job.
Good to see him on the telly box between songs during the set.