Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers

Cato

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1498421764' post='3324524']
I think Jerry is bringing his own thing to it. He knows he isn't Bernard. I think his tone is right on the money, and giving the crowd something to dig.
[/quote]

And that's exactly what Nile Rodgers wants!

A lesson for [i]all[/i] bass players. At the the top level guys will always sound and play like themselves and never try to sound like someone else. Even when they are replacing legendary and unique bass players. At our various levels we should all be trying to do the same.

Guys like Jerry Barnes are hired to be themselves and bring their energy. Even playing seminal BE songs in Chic. Nile is the man!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1498417940' post='3324451']
But who we would win in a pie eating contest between the drummer and bass player? :)
[/quote]

I guess you're not overweight. Some folk struggle with weight and self respect because of it. Maybe your prejudices aren't helpful?

Oh and I thought it was pretty damn awesome.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1498474047' post='3324781']
I guess you're not overweight. Some folk struggle with weight and self respect because of it. Maybe your prejudices aren't helpful?

Oh and I thought it was pretty damn awesome.

Peter
[/quote]

Come on Peter, Mr Alpha did put a smiley after his post. Christ on a bike, I'm a bit tubby, but I had a chortle at it..

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1498479273' post='3324848']
Come on Peter, Mr Alpha did put a smiley after his post. Christ on a bike, I'm a bit tubby, but I had a chortle at it..
[/quote]

I have a good friend who is a top man, great guy, exceptional character etc. He's pretty damn huge (actually he's just lost over 10 stone) and struggles with his weight. One of the biggest problems overweight people suffer is from the attitude of others. It devalues and destroys self esteem. There will be such folk using this forum. Okay maybe I'm over sensitive at the moment as I've been following his very personal and enlightening blog (I'm a skinny bloke btw). Many of my (step) family are black. Many of them too struggle with self esteem because of a lifetime of comments and attitudes, the sum of a lot of fairly routine innocuous stuff. If you are black it's classed as racism. If you are overweight such comments are the norm. It doesn't mean that the laugh is worth the misery it causes.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1498469549' post='3324740']
Thought Chic and Barry Gibb's sets were both ace - and also Rag N Bone Man had an awesome bassist with him. V impressed.
[/quote]
He's a member here, his name is Bill Banwell. He's a great player. He had some work done on one his custom Warwick's by a tech I use, and is apparently an incredibly nice guy too.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1498481129' post='3324870']
I posted that soon after I'd weighed myself and put the figures into a calculator that said I'm officially Obese. AND I'm only 5 foot 3,so I win! :)
I love pies too!
[/quote]
So, you were genuinely interested who would win. Would you have a chance to, you reckon?

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1498480636' post='3324862'] He's a member here, his name is Bill Banwell. He's a great player. He had some work done on one his custom Warwick's by a tech I use, and is apparently an incredibly nice guy too. [/quote]

Cool - well if you're reading this Bill, i well and truly tip my hat to you buddy! Sounded great.

Agree with lots on here: I thought they were absolute class, and the bassist got to show off...a bit too much. I get that BE's boots are really a bit too big to fill, but it kinda sounded like he was overcompensating to the detriment of the songs. His finger tone was great, the slap was waaaay too intrusive.

Oh, and the cock ends on the stage at the end pointing phones at players from a foot away got right on my nerves: you're invited onstage for a boogie with Chic at Glasto...don't bother experiencing it, stand still and hold your phone in people's faces...ffs... :angry:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1498482148' post='3324886']
not a chance! I don't actually eat large quantities, but it's "all the wrong stuff" :)
[/quote]

Ha, that was the main reason for my extra weight. And I wouldn't stand a chance either, even at the ''peak of my form'' :-)

Watched it last night and pretty much the same thoughts as others. Brilliant set, but Jerry Barnes was overplaying like f***. Chic basslines should be funky and classy, with a solid groove and the odd fill. He ruined the groove on several occasions and his tone was not suited to the music IMO. I'd never really hate on someone else's playing (each to their own etc), but it really grated on me watching the set.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1498483025' post='3324901'] Watched it last night and pretty much the same thoughts as others. Brilliant set, but Jerry Barnes was overplaying like f***. Chic basslines should be funky and classy, with a solid groove and the odd fill. He ruined the groove on several occasions and his tone was not suited to the music IMO. I'd never really hate on someone else's playing (each to their own etc), but it really grated on me watching the set. [/quote]

I agree.

I understand the appreciation of his playing, he can obviously do that. I just think that sound sound of Chic is as much defined by the tone of Bernard Edwards as it is by Nile Rogers and his Strat. Without either one of those elements then the songs just don't sound right to me.

Tricky one really, because hiring someone to impersonate another player is dodgy ground too.

I'm a huge fan of Chic and funk at large and overall it was a fun set and touching at times. Technically I can't fault the bassist but if I was a bass teacher I'd use some of his playing here as an example of why you should leave space and not always cram in notes for the hell of it. Also I'm guessing he can't replicate BE's' 'chucking' technique on Everybody Dance! Just shows why Nard was tha man!

It was a live performance can we not allow a bit of leeway for the "performance" element. We can pick holes as bass players but maybe the up front nature of Jerry's playing did a little to illustrate to the audience that a bass player was on the stage. Being the anonymous bloke at the back does not necessarily always promote the important work we do. It might even encourage a few to give it a go. And if Nike is happy Jerry must be doing something right. Let's be a little less critical and a bit more open minded. It's music - should be fun IMO.

I heard some of it on radio 2.

It lacked the breadth of the bass sound of Bernard Edwards which made the band, for me sound too thin and toppy.

For those moaning about the slap, Bernard Edwards slapped quite often live especially in later years. That said I found the slap and pop too nasal and thin sounding.

I'm a big fan of Jerry Barnes as a player - I don't know if it was the Glastonbury mix, the Radio 2 rendition or the sound he got on stage but for me it was Chic with a thinner version of a Marcus Miller sound which didn't do it for me - it was quite authentic for the very early Chic (Dance Dance Dance, Everybody Dance and a couple of other early tracks) in my view but far too thin for all but that - just a listen to any of the studio singles will show this.

He should play a Wal (or Stingray 👍)

Edited by drTStingray