Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers

Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1498420980' post='3324510']
There's something utterly joyous about watching older performers/bands, who must know their golden age is over, going out and not only winning over that massive crowd but absolutely slaying it.

Best Glasto set I've watched this year.
[/quote]

Yep it's called talent .

No, the original singers are a lot older - Folami and Kimberley have been with Nile for a few years now though.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1498458692' post='3324672']
Haven't watched much of Glasto this year, but glad I caught Chic.
Are they the original girl singers??
[/quote]

I have to say that I love his tone - horse for courses but I do agree that it feels like he is over playing far too much. Some of the discordant lines add nothing to the songs in my opinion.

Some slap is more this ok but I just wish he'd sit in the pocket a little more and groove and let the songs speak.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1498420857' post='3324509']

You know, I love Chic. But although the band is indeed mostly killing it I really wish someone would cut Jerry's thumb off. He embodies a type of player that many bass players seem to want to be but which doesn't interest me at all. Horrible glassy bass sound and, for me, overplaying in the context of what I love about the original band. Sorry!
[/quote]

I think Jerry overplays as well but Nile is OK with it and has been for as long as Jerry has been in the band. So...meh...not worth getting one's panties in a bunch. I just tune out.

They've been doing the same show (set list and song order) for nearly 8 years now. Nile tours his arse off every year.

I'm a huge fan of slap and Chic but what Jerry Barnes does is just too much...Chic is all about cool grooves and the sparse lick every now and then and Barnes is all about show off and overplaying.
Bernard's tone was a huge part of the Chic sound and that sort of treble didn't fit the smoothness of their music.
I thought Barnes was horrible, slapping too much, slides in every song and making it a sort of slap contest what Chic is not about imo.
The worst thing is that though his slap sound was great his timing wasn't....everytime he went solo his fills were sloppy.
A bunch of slap cliches (octaves anyone ?) and I just got tired of it...my foot went crazy during the Barry Gibb set, it stopped during Chic.
The presenters were raving about Barnes which proves that when you do something loud and many times people get impressed...
I don't see what Rodgers sees in him after the pure class of Edwards

I am not a big fan of Jerry Barnes, to me he seems a bit undisciplined.
Although he can play really well at times with a great tone, I find that all those long slides/slurs, dodgy fills and sloppy slapping gets too much for my ears
But then again, who am I to dig him out. He seems a popular, well liked guy that has worked for Nile for a few years.
(And I do like slap, along with the whole Disco/Rogers/Edwards thing).

I thought the rest of the band were great, pretty tight/disciplined. The girls worked closely together and the Drummer laid it down well.
Nile Rodgers.... Well what can you say...? He is just so on it.
All in my opinion of course.

They played some classic tunes in a classy set.

Edited by lowdown

Agree - the Barry Gibb set was brilliant, I really enjoyed it and was amazed that he can still hit the high notes. I thought his bass player was excellent, so tight and the perfect sound for the songs. Anyone know who he is?

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1498460165' post='3324681']
I'm a huge fan of slap and Chic but what Jerry Barnes does is just too much...Chic is all about cool grooves and the sparse lick every now and then and Barnes is all about show off and overplaying.
Bernard's tone was a huge part of the Chic sound and that sort of treble didn't fit the smoothness of their music.
I thought Barnes was horrible, slapping too much, slides in every song and making it a sort of slap contest what Chic is not about imo.
The worst thing is that though his slap sound was great his timing wasn't....everytime he went solo his fills were sloppy.
A bunch of slap cliches (octaves anyone ?) and I just got tired of it...my foot went crazy during the Barry Gibb set, it stopped during Chic.
The presenters were raving about Barnes which proves that when you do something loud and many times people get impressed...
[/quote]

Won't comment on the bassist as I don't know that much about that kind of bass playing style. But the drummer really laid it down well, so tight and on the money and some great fills and grooves in there. And his speech about Nile Rodgers summed it up, what a brilliant performer and legend.

Watched the set and really enjoyed it. Fantastic crowd an the band were super tight. Jerry is a really talented and entertaining player but I do agree with a few people here that there was a touch of over playing going on here and there. But then who am I to be calling him out on that, he's on stage at Glasto with Chic and I'm not! I LOVED his tone, to the point where I'm looking into what gear he uses to attempt to replicate it!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1498465383' post='3324699']
Watched the set and really enjoyed it. Fantastic crowd an the band were super tight. Jerry is a really talented and entertaining player but I do agree with a few people here that there was a touch of over playing going on here and there. But then who am I to be calling him out on that, he's on stage at Glasto with Chic and I'm not! I LOVED his tone, to the point where I'm looking into what gear he uses to attempt to replicate it!
[/quote]
Definitely some greasy fills here and there. The rhythm section is fantastic. Does he overplay? Maybe. He's definitely having fun, same as the rest of the band. Isn't that what music is about?

LOL - I did exactly the same when I watched their set at Glasto in 2013 hence now owning an Atelier Z bass and EBS and SWR cabs!

I know Jerry uses Aguilar amps but I wanted something between him and Marcus and EBS and SWR did that with the AZ bass.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1498465383' post='3324699']
[/quote]

Thank you Jerry. I don't think I've seen a better bass performance for a long time - amazing attack and energy. From reading some of the expert comments here, it's obvious that I don't know about bass, which is fair enough ;-) I know his style is different to Bernard Edward's, but I was entertained & inspired. Good Times...

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1498420857' post='3324509']
You know, I love Chic. But although the band is indeed mostly killing it I really wish someone would cut Jerry's thumb off. He embodies a type of player that many bass players seem to want to be but which doesn't interest me at all. Horrible glassy bass sound and, for me, overplaying in the context of what I love about the original band. Sorry!
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. Some of i was completely unnecessary and ruined the songs. And i love slap! Hated the tone too. Was still great to watch though (as Chic always are)

Edited by funkyjimbob

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1498460165' post='3324681']
[/quote]

It just proves that two set of ears can hear to entirely different things. I would say the complete opposite to this. 😂