Why become a member? ×

Getting old and knackered.

markstuk

Sadly I am another arthritic old crock, who regularly takes pain killers to get through a working week, and have to be careful to pace myself 

I have also switched to light weight gear (Fender Rumble) and short scale basses.

However I find that that I can usually get through gigs without taking anything - the rush of performing is better than what the medics prescribe!

On 01/11/2017 at 12:37, blue said:

Knock on wood, I just realized at 64 I'm doing pretty good, no arthritis or trigger problems.

I work out at the gym 7 days a week and I don't eat any neat, dairy or fish.

Blue

That sounds amazing Blue, well done you!

Out of interest, what does your diet consist of? Whatever it is it seems to be working.

I'll have some of what you're having!

8 minutes ago, mart3442 said:

A keyboard player I work with is 72, still fit as a butchers dog, until the doctor put him on statins. Its really knocked the life out of him and aged him. He's going back to see what can be done...

I believe statins can really have an adverse effect on one's health and I resisted taking them, even though my GP was adamant. I changed my diet instead and my CLs are well within safe limits now. One wonders why they're so widely available. Actually I don't wonder at all, but that's for another thread.

I on the other hand have been on statins etc for ywears & havent really noticed any difference health and energy-wise. It really does seem to be the arthritis that is clobbering me worst.  I am now in almost constant pain especially in my thumbs. Trying not to over do the pain meds as the ones I take are predominantly opiate based.  The docs dont seem to have anything different to offer. As probably tell this has been a particularly bad week and I am getting pretty pissed off with the whole thing.

Sympathies to all of you reaping the rewards of our chosen profession!   *if I could figure out where to find them there would be a smiley  thingy about here...  :D

Aha! The old-fashioned way apparently works now!!!

On 17/11/2017 at 11:35, discreet said:

Ah sorry. I assumed that, like most people on this forum, you'd be bald. 

Just been watching that Dave Gilmour Pompeii concert on iPlayer. 

Dave & I were contemporaries in Cambridge  back in the day and I am smugly pleased to see that whilst he HAS lost a fair bit of the weight he put on, even more of his barnet has disappeared.

And he is a fair bit younger than me, too.

On the other hand (no pun intended) he doesn,t seem to have much trouble with arthritis in his hands as I do,  yet....

4 minutes ago, ivansc said:

Dave & I were contemporaries in Cambridge  back in the day and I am smugly pleased to see that whilst he HAS lost a fair bit of the weight he put on, even more of his barnet has disappeared.

I haven't lost a fair bit of the weight I put on, but haven't lost any hair. So unlike Gilmour, I'm fat and hairy. Also unlike Gilmour, I'm poor.