Why become a member? ×

Getting old and knackered.

markstuk

After years of trouble free service I've had a set of hand/arm problems over the past year or so that I've been able to work around but it is slightly worrying

1. Mallet fracture of my right middle finger
2. Trigger thumb in my left hand
3. Problems with my left hand little finger (very sore)

Luckily these have mostly got better - however I've just been diagnosed with Tennis elbow in my right arm and am having a steroid shot in early July..

Anyone else been through this, and any hints on how to cope?

I have trigger finger in my left little finger. I've had injections in the tendon which gradually relieves it,but it has come back. it's literally a bit hit and miss as the efficacy of the treatment depends on exactly where the injection hits the lump on the tendon.

[size=4]I've literally just got back this Sunday morning from yet another MRI scan, this time for my upper back, neck and shoulder, I've had many scans over the last five years for my lower back, I've got arthritis in both thumbs which causes a lot of pain when playing, I had a trapeziectomy a few year's ago to remove the [font=arial, sans-serif]trapezium, ([i]which is a small bone in your wrist at the base of your thumb[/i]), unfortunately this operation actually made it worse, and[/font] I'm now going deaf due to guitarists refusing to lower their volume in rehearsals. :( [/size]

[size=4]Other than that little lot, I'm fine! :unsure: [/size]

[size=4]I've not suffered with any of the problems you have Mark so I can't really offer any advice on those, but stay positive as most problems ease off enough after a while to allow you to continue playing.[/size]

[size=4]Good luck and I hope you recover soon. :) [/size]

I've suffered tennis and golfer's elbow at the same time - very painful. I've also had a frozen shoulder twice! Once in each shoulder. Even more painful than tennis/golfer's elbow...

However, my experience of steroid injections is that they made the pain worse, or perhaps more accurately, the injection was more painful than the condition itself.

I wouldn't have one again in similar circumstances. It's a case of the cure being worse than the disease. At least in my case it was.

Frank.

I had tennis elbow problems some years ago. It lasted over 6 months and threatened to stop me playing altogether, which, being as I do it for a living, caused me a lot of worry at the time. After 4 months of combined physiotherapy, stimulation current therapy and massaging with an ice cube (v. painful that last one) making matters worse, I got a cortizone shot which only helped temporarily. The problem soon came back and I was very worried.
Then I tried homeopathy. I can't remember the substance used, but symptoms were 80% gone within a matter of days. I know many people are skeptical of homeopathy, myself included, but on this occasion it worked for me.

Either way, good luck with your recovery.

I had a milder recurrence about 3 years ago and a good osteopath was able to help me using manipulation to free up blockages in my joints.

Edited by SICbass

I have a nasty form of inflammatory arthritis, I have had all sorts over the years including many steroid injections. They are undeniably painful but if they are too painful then you probably didn't need them. I have had them when I have been in absolute agony and know when I need them myself now. One in my spine was a bit of an ordeal BUT I had had six weeks of barely being able to walk or even move. I had the injection on a Thursday and was back in work the next Monday. Others have had less effect. Sometimes you need multiple times, I had three in a year on my shoulder and then it settled. See it as a couple of minutes pain for long term gain. There are multiple types of medication that can help as well but obviously that would be best discussed with your consultant.

Gentle exercise (and help from a physio) can make a massive difference. I started playing the bass as it was a positive way to do my daily hand exercises and that has worked well.

Good luck, hope it works well for you.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1498383638' post='3324168']
After years of trouble free service I've had a set of hand/arm problems over the past year or so that I've been able to work around but it is slightly worrying

1. Mallet fracture of my right middle finger
2. Trigger thumb in my left hand
3. Problems with my left hand little finger (very sore)

Luckily these have mostly got better - however I've just been diagnosed with Tennis elbow in my right arm and am having a steroid shot in early July..

Anyone else been through this, and any hints on how to cope?
[/quote]
I got it and also had the steroid shot- choosing the right doctor is critical as you're only allowed three in any one area in your lifetime

I got my first from a surgeon in my wrist and it was spot on. Second in my elbow was from a visiting trainee GP - not encouraging you'd think - she was nervous but absolutely nailed it

Don't rest it, keep working it gently

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1498419327' post='3324478']

I got it and also had the steroid shot- choosing the right doctor is critical as you're only allowed three in any one area in your lifetime

I got my first from a surgeon in my wrist and it was spot on. Second in my elbow was from a visiting trainee GP - not encouraging you'd think - she was nervous but absolutely nailed it

[/quote]
Not sure where you heard that but I have had more than three in several places, perhaps it was in a year? One of my knees has had seven over a ten year period (seems to like one about every 14- 16 months!). Agree on the differing quality of the people doing it. All my recent ones, except fingers, have been done with the aid of unltrasound and that seems to make a massive difference as I guess they can be that much more accurate.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1498419327' post='3324478']

[/quote]

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1498419565' post='3324481']
Not sure where you heard that but I have had more than three in several places, perhaps it was in a year? One of my knees has had seven over a ten year period (seems to like one about every 14- 16 months!). Agree on the differing quality of the people doing it. All my recent ones, except fingers, have been done with the aid of unltrasound and that seems to make a massive difference as I guess they can be that much more accurate.
[/quote]

I had a consultant tell me about the three steroid injections in a lifetime, specifically over tennis elbow. They gave me two that didn't work and then referred me for some (at the time) slightly experimental treatment (we covered this on another thread - it's now quite conventional, PRP injections, although in my day it was just some of my own blood they'd drawn out of the other arm). I was told that they were giving up on the steroid at that point because it clearly wasn't working and they wanted to "save" the third one in case I need it later in life.

However, this http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/steroid-injections/Pages/Introduction.aspx says it's three in a twelve month period (again, not what i was told, but things change over time - my experience was close to a decade ago)

Back to the OP...my tennis elbow was where I'd properly shredded the tendon, most likely from lugging cabs up and down the stairs to my first floor flat. One big point to make was that it helped hugely to avoid doing that (and any other medium to heavy lifting) while the treatments were taking hold (fortunately I had some understanding band mates).

Good luck.

Guest subaudio

When I first started playing drums I had huge problems with tennis elbow, luckily my gp was a drummer and suggested I change my grip and its been fine since.

I haven't played bass in a while but I'm of a certain age now and am anticipating aches and pains when I get hold of some gear and start practicing again.

We cant change our bodies but we can make it easier by using wide straps, light basses and have the bass at the best height and keeping nice curves in our wrists and elbows to reduce strain as much as poss, even how you stand makes a difference, for the best its feet shoulder width apart, dropped shoulders, straight back.

[quote name='drake' timestamp='1498481569' post='3324876']
Mallet finger - ouch!! I bet that stopped you playing for a while if it was your middle finger?? Did it fully heal? I know that it can be a very long process.
[/quote]

It was awkward but I usually play with three fingers so I managed to cope

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1498481234' post='3324873']

Hi Paul. Hows the back ? It's not too bad - only hurts when I lift more than about 5kg
[/quote]

Getting better thanks, but still painful. Band practise tomorrow should be interesting...

Four operative procedures for trigger finger conditions (all successful), but now both thumbs are giving me arthritic issues.

There's a surgical solution available (search You Tube for 'basal joint replacement'), but right now I'm able to keep the pain down via a combination of medicinal turmeric and glucosamine.

[EDIT] The turmeric is in capsule form (CostCo) and is a proven anti-inflammatory; I was a tad sceptical to be honest, but the pain I was getting has lessened. Believe me, things got very sore after a four hour session and even a slight knock to either thumb from the wrong angle was agony.

The Glucosamine is supposed to lessen deterioration speed of the cartilage and encourage regrowth...I'll take the first one, but the second part I'll take with a pinch of salt.

Edited by NancyJohnson

I've also been told about the three injections thing. My belief is that it is about NICE guidelines rather than an absolute rule.

Fortunately any problems I have are in my knees which don't affect bass playing. However can I recommend exercise as one of the few things you can do yourself to help out. I recently got a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Bit of a bugger because I'm a biologist who has followed all the dietary advice all my life and been fairly active and slim(ish). Anyway as a result I decided to lose a little weight and cut a lot of carbs out of my diet. I love my grub and cook a lot so decided I'd rather lose weight by exercise than going on a diet for the rest of my life. This was entirely about blood sugar for me but the result is that many of the little aches and pains that I thought were down to inevitable aging have disappeared.

There's a lot of research going on at the moment into inflammation which is implicated in everything from dementia, diabetes, arthritis, depression through to cancer, what we do know is that exercise, especially load bearing exercise reduces inflammation and a sedentary lifestyle and overweight increases it. I know it's easier said than done and I'm lucky enough to enjoy activity but it's well worth knowing about. It's an iron rule of speakers that you can't have loud, lightweight and cheap, maybe there's one about being old, unfit and healthy.

I developed tennis elbow, due to all the squash, tennins & badminton - yes Tennis Elbow can be really painful. Didn't have the injection in the end. I just stopped the racquet sports for some time. Eventually it went away and I was able to resume. If you do play, make sure you put extra grip material on the handle of your racquet! Good quality grip at that - it's sometimes caused by over-gripping.....

I had a problem with my foot which required a steroid injection though. The injection was right into the heel of the foot, and it was painful. I had to rest my foot for a day or so and not put any weight on it. Problem was, it didn't work so I ended up having shock-wave therapy. The needle was like someone sticking a nail into your heel - the shock-wave was like someone pumelling the sole of my foot with a mini pneumatic drill! I kid you not...

I'm sure the injection into your arm will not be as uncomfortable, and I understand that steroid injections for T.E. are far more effective. If you do end up needing shock-wave, again it shouldn't be as bad as it being on the soles of your feet!

All this aside - I'm also finding heavier basses are making my neck & shoulder ache more. So I'm moving over to lighter weight basses, and have recently discovered why people pay much more for nice, soft leather straps - they're much more comfortable lol

Best of luck with it - I know tennis elbow is horrible

EDIT. As Phil notes above - exercise is an essential part of getting older

Edited by Marc S

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1498805186' post='3327099']
I've also been told about the three injections thing. My belief is that it is about NICE guidelines rather than an absolute rule.

Fortunately any problems I have are in my knees which don't affect bass playing. However can I recommend exercise as one of the few things you can do yourself to help out. I recently got a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Bit of a bugger because I'm a biologist who has followed all the dietary advice all my life and been fairly active and slim(ish). Anyway as a result I decided to lose a little weight and cut a lot of carbs out of my diet. I love my grub and cook a lot so decided I'd rather lose weight by exercise than going on a diet for the rest of my life. This was entirely about blood sugar for me but the result is that many of the little aches and pains that I thought were down to inevitable aging have disappeared.

There's a lot of research going on at the moment into inflammation which is implicated in everything from dementia, diabetes, arthritis, depression through to cancer, what we do know is that exercise, especially load bearing exercise reduces inflammation and a sedentary lifestyle and overweight increases it. I know it's easier said than done and I'm lucky enough to enjoy activity but it's well worth knowing about. It's an iron rule of speakers that you can't have loud, lightweight and cheap, maybe there's one about being old, unfit and healthy.
[/quote]

Hi Phil, may I ask what exercise you do, I really need to start doing something.

Edited by subaudio

• 4 months later...

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1498400830' post='3324314']
Tennis elbow, that's bloody painful! Mine went away on it's own. Took a while though.
[/quote]

Think I've got that now. Had a problem elbow for some time, but right now it's not going well. I just read it can take 6-12 months!

Playing wider necks too low down doesn't help it much.
So it's back to 4 strings only. :(

I had steroid injections for rotator cuff tendonitis (knackered shoulder) and despite shitting myself because of all the scare stories I'd heard, I didn't feel a thing and it worked. So it's not always bad!

At the risk of stating the terribly obvious - if your playing hurts then you need to stop doing whatever you are doing. Lighter bass, wider strap, sit down even (the world won't end).

Edited by thepurpleblob