Why become a member? ×

Is it me? I'm finding The Foo Fighters boring!!!

thebrig

I really loved the first four or five albums by the Foos but since then I feel they have become a bit too formulaic and safe. They are brilliant at creating very catchy pop songs in a rock vein but for me that's about as far as it goes these days. I only saw them once, quite a few years ago when they did the Hyde Park thing and it was an amazing show but that was before I had started to loose interest. A mate saw them last year (or was it the year before) when they toured. He still really likes them but said that after they had played for two hours or maybe more he was starting to get really bored and was ready for it to end. I was lucky enough to see Dave Grohl playing drums with Them Crooked Vultures and that to me was a real highlight. I really rate him as a performing and recording drummer and would happilly pay to see him drumming at any opportunity.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1498470481' post='3324750']
I really loved the first four or five albums by the Foos but since then I feel they have become a bit too formulaic and safe. They are brilliant at creating very catchy pop songs in a rock vein but for me that's about as far as it goes these days. I only saw them once, quite a few years ago when they did the Hyde Park thing and it was an amazing show but that was before I had started to loose interest. A mate saw them last year (or was it the year before) when they toured. He still really likes them but said that after they had played for two hours or maybe more he was starting to get really bored and was ready for it to end. I was lucky enough to see Dave Grohl playing drums with Them Crooked Vultures and that to me was a real highlight. I really rate him as a performing and recording drummer and would happilly pay to see him drumming at any opportunity.
[/quote]

+1. Hyde Park Was a great gig. Was there too and bought the DVD. saw TCV at Plymouth pavilions and spent most of the gig up close watching Dave Grohl on drums which was fantastic.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1498671735' post='3326271']
Saw the Foo Fighters, Royal Blood and Iggy Pop on the same bill at the MK Bowl a couple of years ago. (in the Dave Grohl broken leg period). Foo fighters: boring. Royal Blood: get a band. Iggy Pop: stole the show for me.
[/quote] it has to be hard playing after Iggy Pop

I saw them in, 2009 I think, at Wembley. never been a major fan, though have a good few of their CDs, but their recorded material is just that bit too polished for me. But live I thought they were great. Some bands to me lose themselves in a big venue but I thought that it really suited the Foos, it seemed to really work for their sound.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1498677927' post='3326319']
...folk that don't normally go to gigs, play instruments, or listen to a lot of music don't mind ponying up a lot of cash to go stand in a sports stadium and yell out "[font=arial, sans-serif]What if I say I'm not like the others?" with ten thousand other folk...[/font]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1498677927' post='3326319']
[size=4]The Foo Fighters always strike me as a bit of a Christian Rock band, just without the Christian element. They look the part, they sound the part, their lyrics are suitably rocky but... I dunno they just seem a bit safe. Angry rock in a contained environment. Going to see 'The Foos' at Murrayfield or Hampden seems to be the thing that folk do if they don't necessarily like music very much or listen to a lot of it. I'm drawing on my Facebook feed here; folk that don't normally go to gigs, play instruments, or listen to a lot of music don't mind ponying up a lot of cash to go stand in a sports stadium and yell out "[font=arial, sans-serif]What if I say I'm not like the others?" with ten thousand other folk[/font].

Given how reactionary and iconoclastic Nirvana were, I find it odd that Dave Grohl has taken a progressively safer and consistently more orthodox path in rock music. He's now in the same arena as older rock legends as a result, and part of that Jack Black/Spinal Tap rock-as-overblown-joke set. Or, to put it another way, I don't understand why Nickelback receive so much criticism and are constantly downplayed when the Foo Fighters offer the exact same product and are somehow keeping it real. They are both boring, contrived bands.[/size]
[/quote]

Yep, pretty much this for me. I really rate Grohl as a drummer and the FF's have released three or four fantastic singles but the albums are always just 'meh'. I don't know if it was contrived or not but his involvement with QOTSA on "Songs For The Deaf" certainly did them no harm. I'd go so far as to say he propelled them from being fairly unknown outside the rock press to being a huge global success pretty much overnight. Plus he knocked out some pretty iconic drum moments in the process!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1498389165' post='3324207']
You've got a point there but you've forgotten the golden rule of music telly presenting - never criticise anything!
[/quote]

I'm guessing you've forgotten Beavis and Butthead :lol:

I like some of the more in your face rockers like Monkey Wrench but not the cigarette lighter waving sing-alongs like My Hero. To be fair their set was a mighty relief to me compared with a lot of the drivel that had come before. At least DG knows how to engage with the crowd unlike Tom Yorke and his man hair bun. The Foos are probably rock enough for Glastonbury, which isn't yet ready for Decapitated or Cannibal Corpse