Why become a member? ×

Is it me? I'm finding The Foo Fighters boring!!!

thebrig

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1498353531' post='3324060']
I read this thread and went on iPlayer to watch The Jacksons. Shockingly awful.

I'm not a Jacksons afficionado, but I think what we're supposed to be buying into here is a bunch of top draw session musicians playing music for the Jackson brothers who are clearly living in the shadow of the most talented Jackson of them all. They don't appear to be able to sing together and the place where Michael sat in the harmony is vacant. The half arsed attempts at Michael's signatures moves also annoyed me. Didn't make it to the end. Should I have persevered?
[/quote]

Seen the Foos at MK bowl with Royal blood, and I watched their online Grain gig when they announced they would headline a couple months ago, so it's essentially the same stuff.

Went to watch the Jackson's and yes it was a bit poor, but Ok for my money and i persevered, mainly because I wanted to see what the bassist was playing. They suffered soundwise, vocals were never great in the mix, they can sing OK and I thought gave a decent performance, but you are completely correct, you cannot replace the irreplaceable, like or loathe him genius and talent of Michael.
A peanut butter and jam sandwich without the peanut is just a jam.

I loved the set personally, I am not a massive fan (don't have any of their albums) but have always liked them. DG knows how to engage with a crowd unlike some who seem oblivious to the fact that anyone is watching them. It's never the same watching at home, you just don't get any atmosphere.

[quote name='johnnylager' timestamp='1498380153' post='3324125']
Can't listen to them since the quack played them during my last colonoscopy.
[/quote]
I hope it wasn't 'are you getting the best, the best, the best, the best of me......' :lol:

I really enjoyed it through my beer goggles. It's the Foo Fighter, it's what they do.

The BBC presenters... I'm quite surprised that I could understand what they were saying as both had heads firmly stuck up the back side of any band playing... embarrassing.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1498348163' post='3324043']
Glastonbury is just like a big version of Jools Hollands show -

A few decent acts but most of it is utter dross.

The presenters follow up by saying every act was amazing or brilliant, it would be great to hear one of them say that was f*cking sh*te.
[/quote]

One significant difference...

Jools does not sit in on the act.

Watching the FF set on the iPlayer now.

I like them....and it proves that in 2017 a great rock band can still really bring it. They're showing how poor so many other acts are in comparison.

Funny DG mentioned Ted Nugent....he seems to have become his late 70s double!

Loving the set.

[quote name='johnnylager' timestamp='1498380153' post='3324125']
Can't listen to them since the quack played them during my last colonoscopy.
[/quote]

I really wasn't prepared for that revelation.

Although I've always wanted to use the "This thread is worthless without photos" gif I have the vague feeling that it might not be appropriate on this particular thread.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1498379144' post='3324117']
Seen the Foos at MK bowl with Royal blood,
[/quote]

We saw them there too (with Dave on his electric throne?) and it was good to finally see Foos live but I was a bit underwhelmed. Being stuck in a chair all night definitely took the edge off the Grohl, and the whole band seemed a bit disjointed. Royal Blood were at least on a par I thought, and I really liked their set.

I passed out a bit early last night, and missed the whole Foos set. Doh!

Glastonbury is just like a big version of Jools Hollands show -

A few decent acts but most of it is utter dross.

The presenters follow up by saying every act was amazing or brilliant, it would be great to hear one of them say that was f*cking sh*te.
[/quote]You've got a point there but you've forgotten the golden rule of music telly presenting - never criticise anything!

I must admit to not being a big fan of FF. I've liked a few songs like The Pretender and Everlong but not really payed them too much attention - but having watched the set last night, they really went up in my estimation; exactly what you want from a live rock band - others should take notice.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1498396780' post='3324289']
I can't help but think the Foo's are what The Darkness would have been like if they took themselves very, very seriously.
[/quote]

Interesting point, I wonder if they are the band Nirvana would have morphed into had they the chance to carry on...

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1498402186' post='3324322']
Is it just me that thinks the Foo Fighters' "spontaneity" is well practiced? There's something obviously disingenuous about Dave Grohl's laconic charsima.

That said, it's showbusiness, I don't have a problem it.
[/quote]

They're a hard-working band. They probably just don't have to think about it.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1498396780' post='3324289']
I can't help but think the Foo's are what The Darkness would have been like if they took themselves very, very seriously.
[/quote]
It's big hair arena rock in a slightly different guise isn't it? I'm sure this is widely acknowledged and nobody thinks they're some kind of deep, moody indie rock band. It's scruffy, shouty Bon Jovi.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1498382863' post='3324165']

What would we end up with though if they tried to put on the festival with only bands that have never appeared on Jools Holland?
[/quote]

My first ever festival was Knebworth July 74
Allman Brothers
Doobie Brothers
Van Morrison
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Alex Harvey Band
Tim Buckley

What a line up for a one day festival 👍

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1498384589' post='3324177']
I enjoyed watching their set. Thought the TV coverage was a bit 'the Dave & Taylor' show mind. (well, apart from the accordion solo! Lol)
[/quote]

The cameraman did seem obsessed with D&T no doubt. If I were Nate I'd feel a little bit ignored!

At least he could be heard ....

[/quote]

This is brilliant. I am very cynical and I agree, there are some bands that probably did sound absolutely awful.

I managed about half the set, then later came back to catch the end. I've only ever seen the Foos play 'live' on TV so I accept I miss the atmosphere and the mix the crowd hears, but I was again a bit underwhelmed by the performance - vocals seemed too far back in the mix and I struggled to hear all the instruments. Now contrast this with Barry Gibb and then Chic - just had the telly on out of curiosity, and normally if there's a Bee Gees song on the radio I'd turn it over but both Gibb and Chic really impressed; great songs, great atmosphere and audience connection and the mix was great; loved Jerry Barnes' bass playing!