Why become a member? ×

8-String (Octave pairs) build about to start - advice please

MemphisStone

Just about to embark on my second ever build and I need bit of advice. I'm creating a semi-hollow 8-string (octave pairs) and am looking for bridges. There doesn't seem to be a lot on the market apart from a Schaller one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What I'd really like to do is ave the bass strings string-thru and the high strings conventional. That may of course be impossible without having something custom built, which I'm guessing is going to be hideously expensive!

Any suggestions very welcome!

Thanks

Pete

Sounds excellent Pete. The Schaller bridge is good because you can adjust the intonation of each string - useful if you play past the 8th fret. If not you could modify a bog standard BBOT (Bent Bit Of Tin Fender bridge) to accommodate 8 strings. All you need is a drill and a file :)

As someone who is interested in 8 string basses of this type, AFAICS there are 3 different bridges available that allow individual intonation of each string in the course - something that is absolutely essential on an 8-string bass IMO.

The Schaller 3D version.

The one used by Dean, Schecter and a few other budget far-eastern made 8-string basses; this is a two piece bridge and tail-piece combination.

The one that Tune Japan use for their 8-string basses - a sort of variation on the high-mass style Fender-type bridge.

Unfortunately only the Schaller one appears to be available without having to buy the bass to go with it!

Why do you want to have different stringing for the strings in each course? IME I have found no advantage in doing this.

I'm no expert, but the Warwick parts bin seems to have a variety of 8 string bridges

[url="https://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&lang=&ctree=D0405358001321517424A43801|D0936787001489054649A277|D0944972001452001230A138"]https://shop.warwick...01452001230A138[/url]

(not cheap, mind)

Edited by Marillionred

Thanks for the input guys, short of buying a cheap guitar and nicking the bridge I'll settle for the Schaller then... just wanted to see what the option are.

Also as it sounds like you two know your "onions", this may sound like a totally dumb question, but as this is only my second build I'm hoping I can be excused dumb questions: pickup wise, do I need special pickups or can I just use standard 4-string versions?

And finally...
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1498503895' post='3325100']
Why do you want to have different stringing for the strings in each course?
[/quote]

Because I can and it sounded like fun :) Honestly no other reason just interested in fiddling with stuff like that but sounds like without drilling holes in the Schaller it won't be possible. I've put a Babicz string-through bridge on my current build (4-string fretless).

[quote name='Marillionred' timestamp='1498508483' post='3325157']
I'm no expert, but the Warwick parts bin seems to have a variety of 8 string bridges

[url="https://shop.warwick.de/?&lang=en&modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&lang=&ctree=D0405358001321517424A43801|D0936787001489054649A277|D0944972001452001230A138"]https://shop.warwick...01452001230A138[/url]

(not cheap, mind)
[/quote]

Ouch... well pricey!

[quote name='MemphisStone' timestamp='1498508742' post='3325160']

Also as it sounds like you two know your "onions", this may sound like a totally dumb question, but as this is only my second build I'm hoping I can be excused dumb questions: pickup wise, do I need special pickups or can I just use standard 4-string versions?

[/quote]

I have no real idea.... but a 'normal' jazz or P pickup uses pairs of pole pieces with the string going between them.
Other pups use a bar going all the way across (old style EMG and Bart for example) - I would imagine that would work better!

The Warwick bridge seemed quite cheap in comparison to some of the others on their website - the Hipshot stuff was proper pricey!!! Bear in mind quite a few 8 and 12 string basses just used standard or slightly modded 4 string bridges. The Schaller bridge is probably the best though.

[quote name='MemphisStone' timestamp='1498508742' post='3325160']
... do I need special pickups or can I just use standard 4-string versions?
[/quote]
NO - just use normal 4 string pickups.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1498502515' post='3325083']
...you could modify a bog standard BBOT (Bent Bit Of Tin Fender bridge) to accommodate 8 strings. All you need is a drill and a file :)
[/quote]

Apologies for the hijack. I've though of doing this myself but couldn't quite figure out the best way to do it.
Do you have any pics or a link of a modified one?
Cheers

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1499362662' post='3331060']
Apologies for the hijack. I've though of doing this myself but couldn't quite figure out the best way to do it.
Do you have any pics or a link of a modified one?
Cheers
[/quote]I'll work something out......