Why become a member? ×

I think I finally understand Radiohead

BassAgent

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1498640334' post='3326007']
This, although I haven't really made friends with 'King Of Limbs' yet.
[/quote]

KoL worked much better live IMO. Once they'd worked out how to play the songs live, they seemed to breathe a lot more. There's a 'Live From The Basement' DVD with Clive Deamer on second drums and I prefer it to the proper album.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1498493492' post='3325005']
They are trying so hard to be Pink Floyd its embarrassing.
Boring and predictable.
[/quote]

I don't really understand why people feel compelled to go open a thread about a band they dislike and tell everyone about it. I usually ignore posts like that, but this one intrigues me... Pink Floyd? Really?

Boring... sure, that's a subjective judgement... Predictable? I'm guessing you weren't around when Kid A came out and everyone was damning them for delivering an album that was different from what they expected...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to hate Radiohead. I remember buying OK Computer and the Verve's Urban Hymns on the same day and the whole lot sounded so depressing. I ended up putting both CD's away for a long time (the Verve ended up going to a charity shop, awful band).

Years later the design agency I'd started working in played a lot of Radiohead. I was forever going "who's this? It's great. Oh, it's Radiohead, really?!". This was shortly after [i]Kid A[/i]. I became a huge fan, and wanted to see them for sooo long. I finally got to see them on Tuesday in Manchester and was blown away. Every member of the band is so talented, and the bass sounded fantastic all night. Very inspiring to see.

From hater to huge fan, I'll admit I was wrong back in the beginning! :lol:

Loved Pablo Honey and OK Computer, but they are never a Glastonbury headline act. The material would bore the pants off me at a festival. Its late night shoe gazing music, and I love a bit of that....but late at night, and in the privacy of my own living room. :mellow:

I understand Radiohead enough to know I don't like them... 😐

I think there is a tendency whenever someone dislikes a band you're passionate about (whoever that may be, I dont mean to single out Radiohead) to think that the other party just doesn't understand the music. More often than not understanding the music isn't the issue... they understand perfectly they just think it's crap 😐

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1499666407' post='3332758']
I understand Radiohead enough to know I don't like them...

I think there is a tendency whenever someone dislikes a band you're passionate about (whoever that may be, I dont mean to single out Radiohead) to think that the other party just doesn't understand the music. More often than not understanding the music isn't the issue... they understand perfectly they just think it's crap [/quote]

When we talk about "understanding" (or "getting") a band as we have done in this thread, what I think we really mean is "understanding why people like them".

I really don't like anything I've heard from Crosby Stills and Nash. I have their album Deja Vu and I've listened to it a couple of times. I fully understand the music, but I don't understand why people like it enough that it went 7 x platinum in the US. It's just a bit "meh" to me.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1499680606' post='3332861']
When we talk about "understanding" (or "getting") a band as we have done in this thread, what I think we really mean is "understanding why people like them".

I really don't like anything I've heard from Crosby Stills and Nash. I have their album Deja Vu and I've listened to it a couple of times. I fully understand the music, but I don't understand why people like it enough that it went 7 x platinum in the US. It's just a bit "meh" to me.
[/quote]

Which is a long way from 'things I don't like == crap'.

I don't like Soul Music at all. Especially Northern Soul. I get why other people do though and I'd never dismiss it out of hand. It's just not to my taste and I can't envisage ever wanting to listen to it.

Over the last dozen years I've listened to all their albums several times over (none of them belong to me though) and I've found nothing to enjoy , not even a 10 second snippet of a drum break or guitar riff. Their rep with critics and sales figures utterly baffle me. I recently sat through watching 40 minutes of the live broadcast of their Glasto set. The rapturous applauses they received bewildered me. Normally I can be objective about stuff. E.g. I'd never choose to listen to the Foo Fighters but they played a good set, so respect. But Radiohead? Still a total mystery. As a band they have zero stage presence. I detect no strong melodies. The musicanship is competant but hardly jawdropping.Yeah, they may be experimental to a modest extent - but I've heard many less acclaimed artists who are far more challenging and groundbreaking.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1499683893' post='3332886']
Over the last dozen years I've listened to all their albums...
[/quote]

Some folks get nothing from opera, others cannot understand the popularity of rap. There are even those that never 'connect' with folk music or free jazz (or so I'm told...). Well, that's just the way of the world, innit..? Enjoy what you enjoy and leave the rest if it's not for you.

But then again this thread is about music you may have hated or ignored for a long time but then you grow into it. For many years I gave a wide berth to metal bands where there's a lot of growling / shouty vocals going on but since going to Download this year I've got majorly into stuff like Killswitch Engage, Dillinger Escape Plan, Five Finger Death Punch and Lamb of God.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1498419489' post='3324480']
You're quite right - just had another look and it does indeed say Eric Clapton on the headstock.
[/quote]

But...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CjynmbtLlk[/media]

$1099? Must be MIM

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1500360136' post='3337113']
But...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CjynmbtLlk[/media]

$1099? Must be MIM
[/quote]

I just stumbled on that youtube link. Ed's original was an EC strat, modded with the Fernandez sustainer. He got it after his E Series Squier got stolen along with all the rest of the band's gear. That Sig model is quite niche though.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1499439502' post='3331596']
Plus one on the basslines. Always just the right balance of intricate, simple, obvious and inventive. The bassline on Spectre (which I adore) is incredible.
[/quote]

+1.

Saw them live recently, and they blew me away. His playing reminds me a little of John Decon. Just the right notes in the right places. Does not overplay, but is an insanely good player that keeps the whole band together.

For fear of repeating others it kinda goes two ways with bands..... you get in on it early and your tastes evolve with the band or you find out about them late and devour everything they have in their back catalogue. Some bands like the Stones or AC/DC you kinda know what to expect. People like Bowie or Radiohead have evolved and pushed their sound and creativity.

Think about how the Beatles evolved as a band and how they had the freedom to do so.

I loved The Bends then OK came out and it was like whoa!! Then the band got a lot more introverted and soundscapy but there was always something to like on an album. I've not listened to much Radiohead in a long time but should probably check out the more recent stuff.