Why become a member? ×

I think I finally understand Radiohead

BassAgent

Thought the Glastonbury set was great, will catch up on the first half that I missed on iPlayer tomorrow. I agree with Mark Radcliffe about Nude being the standout track for him, that's one of my favourites too. So atmospheric - if you feel nothing listening to this then there's something wrong with you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BbWBRnDK_AE

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1498268173' post='3323574']
So atmospheric - if you feel nothing listening to this then there's something wrong with you!

[/quote]

I felt a growing sense of annoyance, tinged with boredom and a feeling of "when will it end"?
Saying that, I watched them last night on't telly, and was impressed for the 1st couple of songs, then got annoyed and a bit bored. Still, each to their own!
It's Thom Yorke that annoys me most - he seems deeply po-faced and convinced of his own wonderfulness; as I've never met him I can't say if that's actually true but I couldn't imagine him "singing" the Marseillaise out of his bottom
:D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1498268173' post='3323574']
Thought the Glastonbury set was great, will catch up on the first half that I missed on iPlayer tomorrow. I agree with Mark Radcliffe about Nude being the standout track for him, that's one of my favourites too. So atmospheric - if you feel nothing listening to this then there's something wrong with you!

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BbWBRnDK_AE[/media]
[/quote]

very 'Martin Grech' isnt it ? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: runs for cover

I struggle with them, at times they seem so far up their own bottoms (The Pyramid Song being a perfect example) that it is painful, at other times sheer brilliance (Fake Plastic Trees amongst others) We watched most of it on BBC2 last night, I got so board in the first half that I turned over (albeit very briefly) to the Dizzy Rascal.....the second half of their set we found far more enjoyable.

Liked them a lot from the early 90s, initially bought Pablo Honey expecting everything to sound like Creep - which it didn't. I would consider myself a fan for the first 3 albums, but was never motivated to buy anything since.

So for the last 20 years I've sort of been wondering if I was missing out, but getting the impression from what I had managed to hear that they'd wilfully disappeared up their own bums.

Although I enjoyed watching them last night, there was a marked difference between the first and second halves of the set, which was a lot more than just familiarity with the material. They do seem to have lost - or more likely, abandoned - the qualities I loved about their earlier material & become, to my ears, quite inpenetrable, cold & alienating. There were occasional moments that grabbed me (particulrly a track that sounded very reminiscent of early 80s King Crimson!) but I won't be rushing out to grab the back catalogue.

Glad they exist, and glad they can maintain success doing wilfully obscure music though. B)

I love a fair amount of their stuff , I went off them a bit when they where complaining about people wanting them to play "creep" , as I was also fed up of hanging doors at that point

Edited by lojo

The title to this thread made me smile!

Too many years ago a very good friend 'Iggy' said "you must buy this CD called The Bends". Well as I trusted his judgment I did go and buy it and was so bloody disappointed and have gave my friend grief ever since. That was until about a year ago when I thought I would give Radiohead another go - I was immediately hooked/converted and didn't take this cd out my car for months!!!! Strange how tastes change.

I have since informed Iggy he was right ;-)

Edited by paddy109

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1498334616' post='3323948']
I noticed early on in the Glasto coverage that Ed O'Brien has his name on the headstock of his Strat. On further investigation it's a custom shop with a Fernandes sustainer system. Never thought I see anyone from RH taking da mans dollars.
[/quote]

You can feel reassured... it was what looks like a bitsa with an Eric Clapton Blackie neck on it.

Edit: Just had a look at it (recorded on my Sky Box...) 2nd tune in he you get a full screen shot of the headstock... definitely an Eric Clapton Blackie neck, but the body looks like a custom. It has a side mounted jack for one...

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1498410465' post='3324376']
You can feel reassured... it was what looks like a bitsa with an Eric Clapton Blackie neck on it.

Edit: Just had a look at it (recorded on my Sky Box...) 2nd tune in he you get a full screen shot of the headstock... definitely an Eric Clapton Blackie neck, but the body looks like a custom. It has a side mounted jack for one...
[/quote]You're quite right - just had another look and it does indeed say Eric Clapton on the headstock.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1498297289' post='3323672']
How does your ear learn to "understand" music.? was it the lyrics.?
[/quote]
Not at all, I don't really listen to lyrics. I don't know what it was but all of a sudden I thought: wait a sec, how is it possible I didn't like this band?

My partner doesn't like particular downbeat/melancholic music, but I sometimes thrive off it, depending on who does it.

Radiohead have a way of taking me somewhere when I listen to them. They are a pretty dark band, and extremely original and do not care one bit about experimenting to the point that it takes a few listens to even slightly understand what is going on.

I think they do the UK proud as a band. Bold, original, loud when they need to be, artistic, and extremely creative. I really enjoy how they use their instruments and I've enjoyed learning the more obviously recognisable guitar parts like 'Airbag'.

I'm not too familiar with their output outside of the In Rainbows album, for some reason I really connected with that one (hence the two tracks I posted earlier in the thread being from there). I'm just listening to their latest 'Moon Shaped Pool' album from 2016 on Spotify, on track 7 of 11 it's a total borefest. Looking forward to finding some hidden gems amongst the back catalog though!

Edited by dannybuoy

I haven't seen this year's Glastonbury set yet but have heard more negative than positive.
For a long time radiohead were my absolute favourite band and I enjoyed the change of feel from album to album, it's a nice concept and movement over time, but when you just want to put on one song and crank up the volume or relax or whatever, you go for one of the first three albums only IMO.
I saw them live about twelve years back and they were excellent, amazing presence and great musicianship.
I can see why they're not everyone's cup of tea. I do t listen to the radio or read music mags so I didn't know they'd released anything recently, but there isn't a fire in my pants to go and get the album, unlike Kid A which I pre ordered and legged it from college to buy as soon as I could. I think they just spoke more to me as a teenager than they do now.

I was bored by their early output. It just sounded like the other britpop to me, until OK Computer came out. I was obsessed with OK Computer, and then loved Kid A and Amnesiac. Hail To The Thief was ace. It's been a bit boring for me since then, but then I've also had a lot less time to really sit down and concentrate on an album

People have mentioned Martin Grech and Muse, I doubt either would sound anything like they do if it were for Radiohead

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498219436' post='3323201']
Have you ever had that experience with a band (not necessarily Radiohead)?
[/quote]

Oh, hell yes. It was Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds for me. First exposure was a little sampler that came with my parents' newspaper and on the whole I didn't "get" it. I remember the CD contained Red Right Hand (which I loved) and Love Letter (which I hated). The other tracks left me cold. Initially I felt like my sister was trying to like it because he was one of those 'cult' artists that 'cool people' were supposed to 'get,' but fair play to her, she did buy a couple of albums and tried to get me into his stuff on several occasions after that - as did a couple of particularly insistent friends.

But then shortly after meeting Mrs Mooseblaster, to whom I explained my bafflement at his popularity, she gave me a list of songs to try. A vastly different selection from what people had played to me previously, and it was a real lightbulb moment - suddenly, it all made perfect sense and was wonderful. Turns out I'd just been listening to the wrong tunes.

There are still albums of theirs I don't get on with, though ironically one of my favourites at the moment is No More Shall We Part, from which Love Letter was taken...I no longer hate that one, but I often find myself skipping it.

And speaking of Radiohead, and picking the "right" albums...
[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1498410767' post='3324383']
The first Radiohead album I truly enjoyed was, I'm afraid, Kid A. Loved them ever since. Never been that convinced by The Bends or OK Computer...
[/quote]
...good to know I'm not alone! Give me anything from OK Computer onwards; the first couple of albums I really can take or leave!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1498637450' post='3325972']
Give me anything from OK Computer onwards; the first couple of albums I really can take or leave!
[/quote]

This, although I haven't really made friends with 'King Of Limbs' yet.