Why become a member? ×

I think I finally understand Radiohead

BassAgent

So for quite a while (say about 15 years) I've liked a lot of bands that are heavily inspired by Radiohead, but have always said and thought that Radiohead itself was a boring, whining "meh" band. But today I think I finally understand it and I like it. Just listened to a previously unreleased track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXP1KdZX4io
And I really, really like this track and especially their most recent album.

Have you ever had that experience with a band (not necessarily Radiohead)?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1498219655' post='3323204']
I couldn't stand Muse when they first emerged in the late '90s. I had them down as petulant Radiohead wannabes. Now they're one of my favourite bands.
[/quote]

Funny, it is exactly the opposite for me with Muse :D
I like their first album, it sounded new and different, now they seem to do the same identical stuff over and over.

I'd be interested in when you first heard Radiohead - their stuff after OK Computer can be a bit, ahem, challenging, and even their more popular early stuff can take a bit of getting in to. I do sometimes wonder with bands like this who have a lot of success early on whether later listeners can get the wrong impression. For instance, if you were wondering why everybody loves AC/DC so you bought their latest album to see what they're like you'd probably be thinking "well I'm not sure what the fuss is about".

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498224147' post='3323267']
I'd be interested in when you first heard Radiohead - their stuff after OK Computer can be a bit, ahem, challenging, and even their more popular early stuff can take a bit of getting in to. I do sometimes wonder with bands like this who have a lot of success early on whether later listeners can get the wrong impression. For instance, if you were wondering why everybody loves AC/DC so you bought their latest album to see what they're like you'd probably be thinking "well I'm not sure what the fuss is about".
[/quote]

I think you put that quite well. If I had heard Kid A first I would never have listened to them again! I first heard them when I saw them live. A wall of sound! I went straight out and bought the tape. Still got it I think. What you said about ACDC is probably something I could say about a lot of bands over the years. Manic Street Preachers definitely fall into that category for me.

[quote name='Iacopo San' timestamp='1498222155' post='3323236']

Funny, it is exactly the opposite for me with Muse :D
I like their first album, it sounded new and different, now they seem to do the same identical stuff over and over.
[/quote]

I thought it was just me. Bought the debut album back in the day, disappointed by the samey rest.

[quote name='Atomic dustbin' timestamp='1498224142' post='3323266']
Radiohead are the only support band I have seen that were better than the main act at Hull tower ballroom when Pablo Honey came out. I undertsood them then but since the Bends album I have found them impossible to listen to, let alone understand. Quite the opposite to you!
[/quote]

Radiohead peaked with 2nd album 'The Bends' for me as well, Okay Computer was pretty decent as well.

As far as I'm concerned with Kid A they started veering off in a direction that really wasn't for me.

Saw them live at V a few years ago though and I couldn't fault their live show.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Atomic dustbin' timestamp='1498225735' post='3323285']
I think you put that quite well. If I had heard Kid A first I would never have listened to them again! I first heard them when I saw them live. A wall of sound! I went straight out and bought the tape. Still got it I think. What you said about ACDC is probably something I could say about a lot of bands over the years. Manic Street Preachers definitely fall into that category for me.
[/quote]

yeah, there's loads of bands I could have put there instead of AC/DC...perhaps that for another thread, bands whose albums you still buy out of loyalty despite knowing that you're not really going to like it very much.

On Radiohead specifically, I'm with those who think The Bends was their best, I liked OK Computer, saw them live on Kid A tour and loved that (and really tried to get into that album...didn't stick) and I've been an occasional purchaser ever since. I keep meaning to buy the latest one as the reviews seem to be saying it's the most accessible one for some time.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498224147' post='3323267']
I'd be interested in when you first heard Radiohead.
[/quote]

I liked them from the start. We used to go and watch them in Oxford when they were still called On A Friday. A friend of mine was friends with Colin Greenwood so there was a slight connection. I remember there was a lot of, perhaps jealousy is the wrong word, but negativity from some of the other bands around when they signed with EMI in 1991. I liked them, but I remember being slightly underwhelmed by Pablo Honey. The Bends was the one that really got me though, and made me think that they were on to something. I loved pretty much everything they've done ever since.

I last saw Colin Greenwood in the bar at a Neil Finn gig in Oxford in 1998. He didn't remember me though haha.

Radiohead are one of those bands that have got 'it', the thing that is different, inspiring, innovative, exciting and emotion influencing. Few bands are cutting edge, few bands have 'it', that something. They certainly have it. Bands like Radiohead scare me because they can alter how I feel just by listening to them. Not many groups can do that.

Just watched on BBC2 the first half dozen songs from the their set tonight at Glastonbury and I had to turn it off..

If that's really the best band of the last 25 years, and OK, Computer is the best album ever (well, according to NME it is), then something has gone wrong with rock & roll and the music tastes of the great British public IMHO.

I find the band - and Thom Yorke in particular - utterly lacking in stage presence and charisma, his voice whiny and indistinct and their songs completely devoid of memorable melodies and lyrics that actually say anything.

Probably says more about me and my old-fart tastes and attitudes and I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I think early 70s prog bands were more innovative musically, artists like Bowie were more interesting and thought-provoking lyrically and Jeff Buckley had by far the better falsetto voice for me of those type of singers in the 90s..

Having said all that, I thought their first two albums had so much promise and by far, their best songs.

Edited by silverfoxnik