Why become a member? ×

Wal comparison picture

tommorichards

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1498636425' post='3325964']
Did you get a short scale model made then? Because I'm close to your height (about 3/4¨ shorter) and a 34" scale P bass neck looks longer on me than that Wal's does on you.
[/quote]

Nope, standard 34" scale. Must be a camera/bass angle trick of the eye going on or something.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1498650649' post='3326091']

A thing of beauty, this one!
How heavy is it, by the way? With a European ash body I suppose it's not the lightest.
[/quote]

Ha! Both my Wals weigh in at about 10lbs. Note three 4" wide soft leather Italia Leathers strap!

But anyway, my first ever bass was an Aria SB700 which also weighed... you guessed it, 10lbs! So when I bought the Wals I just thought that was what basses were supposed to weigh!!!! :)

I'm still waiting to try a Mk3. One day! I've heard good things about them.

The Mk1 shape never sat comfortably on the lap: it was chronically unbalanced with neck dive and the temptation was to drag it towards you and attempt to pivot it on the lower horn to prevent it happening - but that didn't work so you'd have to lift up the neck while playingor lean on the upper bout to raise the angle. The best sounding bass in the world with one of the worst ergonomic body designs. Never understood that.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1498823439' post='3327326']
I'm still waiting to try a Mk3. One day! I've heard good things about them.

The Mk1 shape never sat comfortably on the lap: it was chronically unbalanced with neck dive and the temptation was to drag it towards you and attempt to pivot it on the lower horn to prevent it happening - but that didn't work so you'd have to lift up the neck while playingor lean on the upper bout to raise the angle. The best sounding bass in the world with one of the worst ergonomic body designs. Never understood that.
[/quote]

Have you visited the shop? Paul seems to have a few lately to test. Seemed like I heard he had a Mk3 4 string one can check out.
The Mk3 balances best, especially on my lap. I can let go of mine with both hands and it will stay balanced on my lap on its own!

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1498867840' post='3327723']
Have you visited the shop? Paul seems to have a few lately to test. Seemed like I heard he had a Mk3 4 string one can check out.
The Mk3 balances best, especially on my lap. I can let go of mine with both hands and it will stay balanced on my lap on its own!
[/quote]

I'd certainly like to visit but I think that Mk3 demo bass you refer to was sold last year.

Dangerous to visit though...because if I ordered a new fretted MK3 that means two years of hard saving plus digging into existing savings...or selling my car or a kidney or two. At £5500 for the standard model it's nudged into that area I consider overpriced - especially as they are made like bolt-on Fenders without angled headstocks. Incredible pickups and electronics and well built of course but now a bit too pricey IMO.

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1499005191' post='3328502']
Man, Wal basses are spendy. Have they any intention of ever bringing out a budget line in the £2,000 range?

Also. How much is the fish?
[/quote]
They used to do a budget line, I know because I had one, Pro 1.
I paid about 300 quid for a used one in about 84. Those seem to retail now for about 2k.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1499000366' post='3328449']

I'd certainly like to visit but I think that Mk3 demo bass you refer to was sold last year.

Dangerous to visit though...because if I ordered a new fretted MK3 that means two years of hard saving plus digging into existing savings...or selling my car or a kidney or two. At £5500 for the standard model it's nudged into that area I consider overpriced - especially as they are made like bolt-on Fenders without angled headstocks. Incredible pickups and electronics and well built of course but now a bit too pricey IMO.
[/quote]

I could weep for the days when you could find a decent used Wal for less than £1000. I recall seeing a good mk2 at the Gallery in London for £1250! Sadly, the priced rocketed into the stratosphere when the original Wal operation closed it's doors. Now that it has restarted, prices haven't adjusted to counter that inflation.

[/quote]

To be fair I think you'd still sound appreciably better than the rest of us with a bit of 2 by 4 strung up with chIcken wire... 😕

[/quote]

There was more like three unsold Mk3 four strings he had done since that one last year. :) The one amazing one was purpleheart faced.
When word gets out, they get nabbed.

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1499013347' post='3328573']
I could weep for the days when you could find a decent used Wal for less than £1000. I recall seeing a good mk2 at the Gallery in London for £1250! Sadly, the priced rocketed into the stratosphere when the original Wal operation closed it's doors. Now that it has restarted, prices haven't adjusted to counter that inflation.
[/quote]

I thought i remember that they closed up shop. Theres just nothing quite like a wal. The electronics are out of this world.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1499115426' post='3329362']
I thought i remember that they closed up shop. Theres just nothing quite like a wal. The electronics are out of this world.
[/quote]

Yes from about 2004-2007 Pete had lost his staff and got progressively more ill and faced two or three consecutive workshop moves until he could no longer cope with the business. He handed the reins over to Paul who relaunched the brand after the move from High Wycombe to Fetcham in about 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wal Mark 1 would be the one for me. I tried a fretless one in Livewire in Cardiff in 1984 ish. It was £800 (ish) brand new iirc. Lovely it was. Prices have ascended into the stratosphere in the last few years, and I'm not particularly convinced - with all due respect to what remains a very fine bass- that they are worth it.

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1500304366' post='3336791']
It always seemed to me that the "Justin Chancellor Factor" had a massive effect on the prices, but that may have just been coincidence with the timing of the brand relaunch and his emergence as a bass demi-god.
[/quote]

Can't say he had too much influence on me buying a Wal having only found out who he was a couple of months ago...

If I'm entirely honest I wouldn't say his tone has that much to do with the Wal anyway... sounds to me like any active bass with new strings through a sansamp?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1500304812' post='3336795']
Can't say he had too much influence on me buying a Wal having only found out who he was a couple of months ago...
[/quote]

I don't mean for [i]everyone[/i], obviously. I would however suggest that their profile and sales have been significantly affected by the proliferation of Tool fanboys over the last 20 years.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone