Why become a member? ×

Blue's Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad

blue

Not everyone can write very well (by which I mean get their intended message across clearly and unambiguously) and - as with music - people who don't write very well, often don't know that they don't write very well. They just assume that everyone knows what they mean.
In fact, now that I've written that, it seems to me that we all just assume that people know what we mean, and perhaps no-one can say precisely what they mean in a short paragraph, or even a long book...
So I wouldn't personally bother to try and read to much into the exact wording of an advert. If it sounds like vaguely the kind of thing you like, then go and meet them and have a play. You'll know whether it's right in the first minute or two of playing.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1498291975' post='3323639']
Not everyone can write very well (by which I mean get their intended message across clearly and unambiguously) and - as with music - people who don't write very well, often don't know that they don't write very well. They just assume that everyone knows what they mean.
In fact, now that I've written that, it seems to me that we all just assume that people know what we mean, and perhaps no-one can say precisely what they mean in a short paragraph, or even a long book...
So I wouldn't personally bother to try and read to much into the exact wording of an advert. If it sounds like vaguely the kind of thing you like, then go and meet them and have a play. You'll know whether it's right in the first minute or two of playing.
[/quote]

Or calling first and asking a few questions.

Blue

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1498225248' post='3323280']
It was me what done it. It was a critique of the ad, not the thread. The fact I posted on the thread is evidence I find it a useful discussion.
[/quote]
Just to point out that my comments weren't aimed at any individual, just a general comment.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1498291975' post='3323639']
[/quote]

I have met some people who have written pretty crap adverts and they were great, just had difficulty expressing themselves in print. Likewise. some great adverts are all some people can do. I am thinking of an impressive advert which resulted in me showing the guy how to tune one of his many guitars!

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1498113558' post='3322538']
When i read 'fun gigs', I immediately thought 'Puppet Show + Spinal Tap'.
[/quote]

"If I told them once I told them a THOUSAND times, Spinal Tap ABOVE Puppet Show"-Tap's 'manager'

re the ad, I also run away when they say they have fun shows. That to me means play for free .

Not sure what this thread is about. Does it or will it feature real band adverts or what? If so the there is some milage in the thread. If not then I'll pass and waste my time doing something else, which is quiet easy here!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1498380682' post='3324132']
Not sure what this thread is about. Does it or will it feature real band adverts or what?
[/quote]

Yes, they're real.

Though there may be something to be said for a thread deconstructing fake band adverts. Sort of like a training camp before one gets into deconstructing [i]real[/i] band adverts.