Why become a member? ×

Blue's Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad

blue

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1498153070' post='3322853']
There must be some newbies on bass chat where this type of discussion is useful, right?

Blue
[/quote]

Well, there is a search function if people want to tap into the already-posted opinions.

Creating topic after topic on the same subjects makes it harder to use that search function without simply turning up the same opinions from the same people, not a range of opinion which I'd venture is preferable.

If you really want people to benefit from your knowledge, I'd shy away from repeatedly posting topics on the same subject.

YMMV of course.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Iacopo San' timestamp='1498177343' post='3323007']
Are you replying to an ad and ready to jump into a situation/band with their ideas and contexts, whatever they are, or are you looking for your exact type of band?
If it's the latter, you should probably post your own ad instead of looking for existing ones.
[/quote]

Iacopo,

I'm not replying, I'm not on the market.

I've been with the same working band for the past 6 years. This thread is merely an exercise in reading into these ads and how we interpret the opportunity.

If I was on the market the only thing I would be looking to jump into is money.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1498177440' post='3323008']

Well, there is a search function if people want to tap into the already-posted opinions.

Creating topic after topic on the same subjects makes it harder to use that search function without simply turning up the same opinions from the same people, not a range of opinion which I'd venture is preferable.

If you really want people to benefit from your knowledge, I'd shy away from repeatedly posting topics on the same subject.

YMMV of course.
[/quote]

Ahpook,

Point well taken.

I sort of get where your coming from. However.I think the opinions from Bass Chatters on this thread are unique, diverse and invaluable.

The purpose of this thread is by no means a vehicle for anyone to benefit from my knowledge exclusively. I'm not sure I have any real knowledge and if I do it's probably dated.

My comments are soley my opinion just like the others who have posted here.

I respectfully disagree.

Blue

Edited by blue

Having auditioned for a few bands in the past, I`ve found that no matter how good the ad, what matters is how the band sounds when you get there and plug in. Sure a poor ad can put people off, but a great ad with a poor band, well prob do the same, just after you`ve made the effort to go there.

I think it's a good exercise in decoding ads through use of the English language. Somebody took some time composing said ad, so each sentence must have some meaning. "Fun gigs" means you will play the singer's sister's birthday bash for free beer and food which will be a bag of chips (crisps) and some storebought dip. Maybe burgers on a grill, but I doubt it. Endless practicing to "get it tight". Yup, 20 somethings. Been there, done that, I'll pass.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498189809' post='3323012']
However.I think the opinions from Bass Chatters on this thread are unique, diverse and invaluable.
[/quote]

This.

I don't see what the drama is - I'm finding it interesting to see how different people interpret the same ad from their own perspective, whether that's experience or outlook (and I know that me and Blue have very different perspectives on what we want from a band) and to see how much importance people pin to the wording of the ad. Surely that's the best kind of forum, to see what people who have a completely different opinion think about things without the need to get abusive? There are plenty of other threads if you don't like this one.

The only shame is that there won't be a pay off - we're never going to find out their ages, the style of music and what exactly they mean by a "fun gig"...unless somebody does send them an e-mail...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498189809' post='3323012']
I sort of get where your coming from. However.I think the opinions from Bass Chatters on this thread are unique, diverse and invaluable.
[/quote]

That's not what I'm saying, the content isn't my concern.

What I am saying is that if you wish to discuss various bass playing ads then starting the same style of thread over and over isn't the best way to do it.

Why not have one long thread ? The forum has many long-running threads on specific subjects, from the very technical to the funny. A longer thread may even improve the discourse as it lends itself to less segmented discussion. People can also subscribe to it.

If serious discussion is your aim then I would suggest posting many similar threads isn't the way to do it.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1498213181' post='3323144']
That's not what I'm saying, the content isn't my concern.

What I am saying is that if you wish to discuss various bass playing ads then starting the same style of thread over and over isn't the best way to do it.

Why not have one long thread ? The forum has many long-running threads on specific subjects, from the very technical to the funny. A longer thread may even improve the discourse as it lends itself to less segmented discussion. People can also subscribe to it.

If serious discussion is your aim then I would suggest posting many similar threads isn't the way to do it.
[/quote]

+1. Megathread is the way to go.

Also, I don't see any malice in this thread, I think it is useful for both people answering these ads so they know what to look out for, and for people placing ads so they know what not to say!

This:
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1498214470' post='3323155']
+1. [color=#ff0000][size=4][b]Megathread is the way to go[/b][/size][/color].

Also, I don't see any malice in this thread, I think it is useful for both people answering these ads so they know what to look out for, and for people placing ads so they know what not to say!
[/quote]

+ this:

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498210741' post='3323116']
This.

I don't see what the drama is - I'm finding it interesting to see how different people interpret the same ad from their own perspective, whether that's experience or outlook (and I know that me and Blue have very different perspectives on what we want from a band) and to see how much importance people pin to the wording of the ad. Surely that's the best kind of forum, to see what people who have a completely different opinion think about things without the need to get abusive? There are plenty of other threads if you don't like this one.

The only shame is that there won't be a pay off - we're never going to find out their ages, the style of music and what exactly they mean by a "fun gig"...[size=4][color=#ff0000][b]unless somebody does send them an e-mail...[/b][/color][/size]
[/quote]

I think it would be very interesting if Blue or somebody else could reply to this adds after some discussion on the megathread and get some answers to the most relative issues that we would be pointing out so we can draw some conclusions in the end.

Regarding an idea that stuck in my head in a past post that i've read but can't be bothered to go back and find out who wrote it: I would be happy if i found out that someone used this kind of threads to find his/her dream band, we're a forum, we're all here to help each other and to recieve help when needed ;)

As I see it some one said 'the worst ad you've posted', and others took it to mean 'the worst thread you've started', i.e. an attack on Blue rather than the ad.
I really don't know - I could be wrong (after all, there's a first time for everything).

At the end of the day it's athread on the internet,. If you don't like it, or you would have done it differently, then you can always just ignore it.

Keep it up Blue. I find your thoughts on stuff interesting, especially as it often highlights differences between the US (well Milwaulkee at least) and the UK 'scenes'.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1498153070' post='3322853']
Wow, you mean this isnt the first of this type of thread? What a pathetic thing to do. It used to be a friendly, helpful place here until a few years ago, and now we have threads like this where everyone wants to bitch and slag other people for no reason other than sport.,

Its pretty obvious Americans think and talk in a different way to those in the UK (otherwise we would nt have this thread ;-) and picking out every other word and analysing it gets us where?

No wonder the old crew dont post on here anymore.
[/quote] This post could be the reason the old crew, whoever they are, don`t post anymore.
I am finding it interesting to see how people interpret the advert. Could be useful for people who want to post an advert in the future. I guess that is why I keep coming back, as there is always something that keeps me interested. I second Aphook that you could just use the same topic for future adverts instead of a series of new topics

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1498160687' post='3322922']
[url="http://milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?xid=70885"]http://milwaukeerock...s.asp?xid=70885[/url]
[/quote]

I found that too - with one click. Clearly where Blue got the text from.

One more click (on the email address supplied) gets me to the band FB page, with all sorts of info on the band (including video) and its current members (won't go into all that detail here but you could click through to their personal FB pages, work details etc). spoiler - could be a married couple in there...

Another click and I see their reverbnation page https://www.reverbnation.com/loveliesbleeding1

Which gets me even more info like upcoming shows, demo tracks, etc.

I don't really get the need to go into infinite kremlinology of the text of the ad itself when there is all this info about. Bit of internet sleuthing training for Blue required :D

Equally its baffling why the band didn't put these links in their ad (unless the site blocks it) as it makes it look like they don't have any material or an online presence when they clearly do.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1498223919' post='3323262']...
Equally its baffling why the band didn't put these links in their ad (unless the site blocks it)...
[/quote]

All the ads on that site have the same formula; they apparently don't allow plain direct links. It's simple enough to get around, however, so shouldn't be too much to the detriment to the posters, as long as the readers are aware of how to see further. Good old Google, eh..? ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1498224944' post='3323275']
All the ads on that site have the same formula; they apparently don't allow plain direct links. It's simple enough to get around, however, so shouldn't be too much to the detriment to the posters, as long as the readers are aware of how to see further. Good old Google, eh..? ;)
[/quote] Something helpful to come out of this topic. Good to know that links may not work

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1498220137' post='3323210']
As I see it some one said 'the worst ad you've posted', and others took it to mean 'the worst thread you've started', i.e. an attack on Blue rather than the ad.
I really don't know - I could be wrong (after all, there's a first time for everything).

At the end of the day it's athread on the internet,. If you don't like it, or you would have done it differently, then you can always just ignore it.

Keep it up Blue. I find your thoughts on stuff interesting, especially as it often highlights differences between the US (well Milwaulkee at least) and the UK 'scenes'.
[/quote]

It was me what done it. It was a critique of the ad, not the thread. The fact I posted on the thread is evidence I find it a useful discussion.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1498224944' post='3323275']

[/quote]

I guess so. If it's like round here, there are probably more local ads on Facebook groups anyway, where the back info is front and centre.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1498208382' post='3323092']
I think it's a good exercise in decoding ads through use of the English language. Somebody took some time composing said ad, so each sentence must have some meaning. "Fun gigs" means you will play the singer's sister's birthday bash for free beer and food which will be a bag of chips (crisps) and some storebought dip. Maybe burgers on a grill, but I doubt it. Endless practicing to "get it tight". Yup, 20 somethings. Been there, done that, I'll pass.
[/quote]

Agreed,

That's probably how many experienced guys will read the ad.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1498225248' post='3323280']

It was me what done it. It was a critique of the ad, not the thread. The fact I posted on the thread is evidence I find it a useful discussion.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Even if the opportunity is questionable the ad could have been written better.

Interesting that the reference to "level headed" was a red flag to many of us.

Blue

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1498223919' post='3323262']

I found that too - with one click. Clearly where Blue got the text from.

One more click (on the email address supplied) gets me to the band FB page, with all sorts of info on the band (including video) and its current members (won't go into all that detail here but you could click through to their personal FB pages, work details etc). spoiler - could be a married couple in there...

Another click and I see their reverbnation page https://www.reverbnation.com/loveliesbleeding1

Which gets me even more info like upcoming shows, demo tracks, etc.

I don't really get the need to go into infinite kremlinology of the text of the ad itself when there is all this info about. Bit of internet sleuthing training for Blue required :D

Equally its baffling why the band didn't put these links in their ad (unless the site blocks it) as it makes it look like they don't have any material or an online presence when they clearly do.
[/quote]

I listened to the audio clips. The audio would certainly make it easier to decide if it's a guys thing or not.

Not much need for bass guitar from what I heard. And you can imagine what the material sounded like to this 64 year old Woodstockian 70s rock guy.

Blue

Taking a wild guess about this, considering the following;
-specifically looking for someone "level headed"
-cautioning against "attitude, egos and weirdness"
-not sharing the band name or links to material when it would be easy to do so

I suspect their last bassist doesn't know they're leaving yet!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1498245948' post='3323432']
Taking a wild guess about this, considering the following;
-specifically looking for someone "level headed"
-cautioning against "attitude, egos and weirdness"
-not sharing the band name or links to material when it would be easy to do so

I suspect their last bassist doesn't know they're leaving yet!
[/quote]

Yeah, for any existing band that's giving the axe to their bass player and they have to publicly advertise for a replacement it can be risky if the bass player is still in the band.

I'm thinking the last bass player quit.

Blue

Take a look at this one;

" esoteric covers but our focus is entirely on originals.

You should have appropriate gear and a strong willingness to improvise. Our practice spot, with attached recording studio, is in Walker's Point - close to MKE Brewing. ;)

We're looking for someone who is tight with a variety of rhythms and can switch timings efficiently - essentially someone who can go from jazz to metal in the same song.

We're in our mid-20's with jobs that pay for our creative expressions. We are hoping to tour and all. But we don't expect art to pay for our individual lifestyles. If we end up making money, that'll be awesome. But our philosophy is art for art sake. We practice twice a week. Usually in the evenings.

Some artists we're currently jamming to: Boris, NEU, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Porcupine Tree, Snarky Puppy, Thelonious Monk, Wes Montgomery, Earphunk, Earth, Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Riverside, Spock's Beard, Primus/Les Claypool, Russian Circles, Kamasi Washington, Camel, Thundercat, The Black Lips, Brad Mehldau, Pink Floyd, P-Funk, Madlib, Busdriver, Kendrick Lamar, Run The Jewels, Flying Lotus, Battles, Flatbush Zombies, Galactic, Gojira, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Leprous, Caligula's Horse, Opeth, The Pineapple Thief, Sunn o)))), Vulfpeck, Xiu Xiu, Yes...and many more.

If interested in trying out, shoot us an email with your interest and availability. We'll send you our new demo.

Cheers."

Very long ad, however I think it's a perfect opportunity for a young guy that merely wants to play.

Blue

Edited by blue