Why become a member? ×

SE Bass Bash 2017 - with Steve Lawson and Davey Rimmer

Silvia Bluejay

Thanks for the offers of help re: Status folks but it won't be necessary now.

I've just had confirmation that [b]Steve Lawson[/b] is now able to come along and do a workshop for us on the day, which is very exciting news! 😊

We've also had an offer of a fretless workshop from Gareth, a.k.a. [b]walbassist [/b] which again, is great news.

So.. we're just trying to sort out new workshop times to accommodate everyone and then we'll post up a revised schedule.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and offers of help!

Nik

Well, I'm planning to come along.

I had been intending to bring my '64 Ric 4001, along with a really nice 2010 4003.

But now you're saying Status folks will be there, so do I bring one of those?

And now with the luthier chap, I've got my super-interesting Pete Longfellow aluminium Tele or my Doni Millennium Falcon 5-string which need some work. Or maybe some binding on my Shaftesbury Ric copy.

And a fine bass player from Uriah Heep!!!

This could be a full day...

Edited by prowla

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1504439969' post='3364826']
Well, I'm planning to come along.

I had been intending to bring my '64 Ric 4001, along with a really nice 2010 4003.

But now you're saying Status folks will be there, so do I bring one of those?

And now with the luthier chap, I've got my super-interesting Pete Longfellow aluminium Tele or my Doni Millennium Falcon 5-string which need some work. Or maybe some binding on my Shaftesbury Ric copy.

And a fine bass player from Uriah Heep!!!

This could be a full day...
[/quote]

Hi there prowla

Great that you're coming along and that you have stuff for Ian the luthier to do.

With the addition now of Steve Lawson and walbassist to the schedule, it will be a pretty busy and full day as you say, so because of that, we aren't intending to invite Status along this time, cool as that would be... might be a great idea for next year though? 😊

Anyway, thought I'd better just clear that up just in case you get there on the day and are disappointed not to see Rob Green!

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1504450886' post='3364935']
Cheers, Nik - thanks for updating me on the Status (ahem) status!

Is putting binding on a bass doable on the day?
[/quote]

Ian said:

"Does he mean the binding is coming off and wants it glued on. Or adding binding?"

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1504354117' post='3364323']
Thanks for the offers of help re: Status folks but it won't be necessary now.

I've just had confirmation that [b]Steve Lawson[/b] is now able to come along and do a workshop for us on the day, which is very exciting news! 😊

We've also had an offer of a fretless workshop from Gareth, a.k.a. [b]walbassist [/b] which again, is great news.

So.. we're just trying to sort out new workshop times to accommodate everyone and then we'll post up a revised schedule.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and offers of help!

Nik
[/quote]

Yay!!!

We're filling up the schedule for this year. Next year let's ask Martin Sims and Dr of the Bass to showcase some Enfields!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1503747124' post='3360665']

[b]Ian Robinson, luthier[/b]
Ian has kindly offered to come along again this year and do set ups and other techy stuff on the day.

In order to make it worthwhile for Ian to come up for the day from the south coast for the day, it'd be good if he had an idea of any work that anyone might need. So, if there's anything that you need done on a bass, guitar, mandolin etc, please could you post up a request here so Ian knows what kit to bring up with him. Thanks! 😊

Nik
[/quote]

Another pre-booking for Ian. It would be great if he could swap the plastic barrel stereo jack on my Aria for a proper Switchcraft stereo jack socket

If he could just give all the wiring a quick check with a multimeter too that would be great.

Ta.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1504566418' post='3365788']

Another pre-booking for Ian. It would be great if he could swap the plastic barrel stereo jack on my Aria for a proper Switchcraft stereo jack socket

If he could just give all the wiring a quick check with a multimeter too that would be great.

Ta.
[/quote]

Hi Trevor

Ian says that's fine; should be about£25..

Nik

Nik

I have a very worn '73 Precision that needs a fret job and maybe some restoration work to the neck. I'd value an expert's opinion on what needs doing to it and an idea of how much it would be. If I bring it along could he have a look at it for me?

Hi Folks,

Here's an updated schedule for the Bash next month:

11.15: [b]Talk by Lee from Andertons Music Co[/b].

12.30: [b]Davey Rimmer, Uriah Heep bassist[/b]

14.00: [b]Steve Lawson Workshop[/b]

15.30: [b]Ped update on new Basschat website[/b] - this is subject to audio visual equipment being available on the day

16.00: [b]South East Bash Raffle[/b]

So;

[b]Andertons[/b]:
According to Lee, he said he 'would love to come and meet us Basschatters and talk all things bass... what we want from a bass shop, what their plans are etc.... :-)' 👍

Sounds pretty good to me!

[b]Davey Rimmer, Workshop[/b]
With a bit of help from Gary, a.k.a. cetera, I'm really pleased to say that Davey Rimmer (bassist for Uriah Heep) has offered to give a 45 minute presentation on his career; gear choices, life on the road, Uriah Heep, Trevor Bolder etc. And, if we ask him nicely, he may demonstrate a few tunes for us! 👏

[b]Steve Lawson Workshop[/b]
Steve had this to say about his workshop;

'...Am happy to do whatever fits best - gig/masterclass/Q&A/bit of all three (I'm sure whatever I do will turn into a bit of all three of those. :)'

Again, it sounds great and definitely not one to miss!

[b]Ian Robinson, luthier[/b]
Ian has kindly offered to come along again this year and do set ups and other techy stuff on the day.

In order to make it worthwhile for Ian to come up for the day from the south coast for the day, it'd be good if he had an idea of any work that anyone might need. So, if there's anything that you need done on a bass, guitar, mandolin etc, please could you post up a request here so Ian knows what kit to bring up with him. Thanks! 😊

[b]Other stuff[/b]
We were hoping that walbassist could run a fretless bass workshop, but Gareth's now not available on the day, so hopefully we can do that next year instead.

There will of course be all the usual other stuff going on of course, [b]The Jam Room[/b], [b]For Sale area[/b] in the Foyer, the big [b]Hall[/b] where you can set up all of you gear and basses, etc, etc and of course the [b] Refreshments Area[/b] ☕🍩 in the Foyer brilliantly arranged and managed by 🌠 Mrs Hamster! 🌠

By the way, if anyone would like to [b]donate some goodies for the Raffle[/b], it would be very much appreciated!

So, thanks again for looking and we look forward to seeing you next month! 😊

Nik/obbm/Happy Jack/bluejay

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1504784220' post='3367265']
As I'm heading to a gig after the bash, and it's a band I play guitar, I will not have room to bring any Shukery goodness. :(
[/quote] That is unfortunate. I was blown away by their basses at the LBGS. I would have been happy to gawp at it

I'm sure MacDaddy will be able to bring his Shuker after all. ;)

I've uploaded a PDF file with the bash timetable here:
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0pqwakzmmlffre/South%20East%20Bass%20Bash%202017.pdf?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0pqwakzmmlffre/South%20East%20Bass%20Bash%202017.pdf?dl=0 [/url]
Can someone please try and access it, and tell me if you are allowed to download the file? It should work, but always best to check. Ta :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1504874392' post='3367948']
I've uploaded a PDF file with the bash timetable here:
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0pqwakzmmlffre/South%20East%20Bass%20Bash%202017.pdf?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0pqwakzmmlffre/South%20East%20Bass%20Bash%202017.pdf?dl=0 [/url]
Can someone please try and access it, and tell me if you are allowed to download the file? It should work, but always best to check. Ta :)
[/quote] The link works perfectly on my PC, and able to download the content

Edited by timmo