Why become a member? ×

SE Bass Bash 2017 - with Steve Lawson and Davey Rimmer

Silvia Bluejay

Many thanks to the organisers another cracking day, motorway issues aside.

Steve Lawson was the highlight of the day for me, I'd have sat and listened to him talk all day.

Will have to check out some of his records, some Uriah Heep too - though as an Opeth fan I should have done that ages ago.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1506206393' post='3377100']
Many thanks to the organisers another cracking day, motorway issues aside.

Steve Lawson was the highlight of the day for me, I'd have sat and listened to him talk all day.

Will have to check out some of his records, some Uriah Heep too - though as an Opeth fan I should have done that ages ago.
[/quote]
The Heep albums with the Roger Dean covers are the best, IMHO.
That said, I haven't really heard the newer stuff.
But I might - I quite liked Davey's playing.

Another great day out and nice to see so many BC-era. And apologies to all those who I thought at the end of the day. "Blimey XXXXXXXX haas gone, meant to have a chat... damn..." Too many nice basses and talks to get in the way!

Well done Colin, Nik, Chris and all... some photos here...

https://www.facebook.com/trevorraggatt/media_set?set=a.10155422501035860.1073741856.705595859&type=3&notif_t=like&notif_id=1506195464466144

Great pictures Trevor 😊

Can't believe how much cool gear there was there yesterday, most of which I missed as I was too busy running around! Having said that, Cetera's Fernandes 'Spectorbird' was awesome and the Chowny Scott Whitley bass was a real surprise! Hmmm; food for thought...

Had a thoroughly enjoyable day though and thanks to Sarah (Mrs Hamster) for providing the necessary caffeine and calories to keep me - and all of us - going throughout the day.. And Colin (Hamster) for organising everything to do with the venue so well. 😊

Still on the organising front, I wanted to also thank Chris (ped) for help with arrangements with Steve, Gary (cetera) for arranging things with Lee & Davey, Silvia (bluejay) for general audio-visual & social media excellence, and Jack (Happy Jack) and Dave (obbm) for working with me Colin and Silvia on the planning.

Got to say a massive thanks to our guests; Lee Voss, Davey Rimmer, Steve Lawson - brilliant talks/demos in the theatre!

Stephen Chown of Chownybass Bass, luthier, Ian Robinson and obbm for their presence in the Foyer, and not forgetting Paul of the Junkyard Dogs for manning the Jam Room (which I think was a but quieter this year for some reason?).

Just absolutely brilliant contributions from everyone from start to finish!

And thanks to everyone who came, donated something to the Raffle, and generally got involved on the day - that's what it's all about!

Got to say that everyone made my son Jimmy very welcome - which was much appreciated by the way - and he says he understands my 'bass geek thing' a little bit more as a result of being there yesterday.

Now ain't that a good thing! 😁

Yes, thanks to everyone that had a hand in putting-on yesterdays event.

Davey Rimmer and Steve Lawson.... They were great! Steve is truly ONE of a kind! ;)

I know a little about Heep. Or at least the earlier stuff. Enjoyed Davey playing, which spurred me into wanting to find some stuff he has played on since joining the band.
So I start listening to "Totally Driven" last night.... Classic Heep re-recorded and released in 2015. Gotta be Davey playin', right? Nah, turns out is was originally released in 2001 under a different name, as an anthology, with Trevor Bolder playing. (Not that that's a bad thing, but wasn't what I was looking for).
Anyway, listening to 2014's "Outsider" now and enjoying it. That credits "Dave Rimmer" as having played bass!

A few pics from yesterday (many many more to follow!)

Davey

Steve

Darren of Planet Rock

Davey, an upside-down Streamer*, and Cetera

Ped, Orange Friday and two of the weirdest basses at the bash

The Raffle, complete with canine guest!

* No, it's actually a Spector!

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1506245365' post='3377238']
I had a fun jam with Paul the drummer, in an ideal world a tame guitarist and/or keys as well would be good for the jam room.
[/quote]

I had a small guitar rig but arrived after 12 and the jam room was empty till the end :/

Otherwise a great day and awesome chaps

Edited by Winny Pooh

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506248787' post='3377262']
A left handed Warwick? I'm thinking someone was in hog heaven ;)
Double P pickup for the win.
[/quote]
He said he had a pair of them made for him by Warwick; the pickups are based on his Warwick Buzzard.
He did a lot more work with the volume controls than most bass players and the bass seemed to keep its sound regardless.

Edited by prowla

Marvellous day with some interesting bass stuff to view and some great presentations from Dave and Steve.

Enjoyed Dave's rendition of a Trevor Bolder bass part as when I went to see Heep at Portsmouth Guildhall in the 70s you could not really discern the complexity of the part due to the terrible sound.

A big thankyou to all who were involved in the setting up of this event.

PS: Bernie Goodfellow's Merlin single cut brought along by JHK was amazing.

Checkout the link
http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/gb_merlin.asp

Morning all! Thanks for the lovely feedback. It was a real treat to spend the day with you all - amazing to see so many esoteric instruments around! :) I loved Davey's talk too, though missed the 2nd half gathering up all the toys I needed for my own session.

For those who heard me there for the first time, the rest of the investigation starts at http://music.stevelawson.net (the USB Stick and the subscription are the best value, by miles ;) ) and my Rick Turner Renaissance bass is still for sale, with three people currently checking their bank balances... first come first served. £700 OBO :)

hope to see you all again soon! Massive thanks to the organisers for putting on such a fabulous event!

A fantastic day - so many great people and instruments/gear. I've always said that bassists are the greatest musicians to be around - No airs and graces - just nice people and this was proven tenfold on Saturday!

As said before - big thanks to Nik, Colin, Ped, Mrs Hamster and all involved in organising the day and keeping it running smoothly. Big ups to Davey, Lee and Steve for their great talks too :)

Same time next year?! ;)

My wedding anniversary is on the 24th which scuppered this year as we went away overnight and next year is a big one so I'll probably be away even longer to take in the weekend and the Monday :( (don't get me wrong I love going away to celebrate my nuptials, but I really want to get to a bash).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1506351294' post='3378116']
Glad you all had a blast, unfortunately I couldn't make it as it was my mother in laws birthday :)
[/quote]
[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506352162' post='3378133']
My wedding anniversary is on the 24th which scuppered this year as we went away overnight and next year is a big one so I'll probably be away even longer to take in the weekend and the Monday :( (don't get me wrong I love going away to celebrate my nuptials, but I really want to get to a bash).
[/quote]

Most inconvenient, can't you get them to move it? ;)

Ezbass, Addlestone is lovely at that time of year. The perfect romantic getaway...!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1506248787' post='3377262']
A left handed Warwick? I'm thinking someone was in hog heaven ;)
Double P pickup for the win.
[/quote]

There was a little frisson of leftie bass love between the stage and the "camera operator". ;)

Mind you, Davey got a stern telling off when, while talking about the difficulty of finding decent left handed basses, he made a throwaway remark, "Maybe I should've just learned right handed..." :) :D