Why become a member? ×

SE Bass Bash 2017 - with Steve Lawson and Davey Rimmer

Silvia Bluejay

Just 2 weeks to go BUMP! 😊

And here's the updated schedule again:

11.15: [b]Talk by Lee from Andertons Music Co[/b].

12.30: [b]Davey Rimmer, Uriah Heep bassist[/b]

14.00: [b]Steve Lawson Workshop[/b]

15.30: [b]Ped update on new Basschat website[/b] - this is subject to audio visual equipment being available on the day

16.00: [b]South East Bash Raffle[/b]

So;

[b]Andertons[/b]:
According to Lee, he said he 'would love to come and meet us Basschatters and talk all things bass... what we want from a bass shop, what their plans are etc.... :-)' 👍

Sounds pretty good to me!

[b]Davey Rimmer, Workshop[/b]
With a bit of help from Gary, a.k.a. cetera, I'm really pleased to say that Davey Rimmer (bassist for Uriah Heep) has offered to give a 45 minute presentation on his career; gear choices, life on the road, Uriah Heep, Trevor Bolder etc. And, if we ask him nicely, he may demonstrate a few tunes for us! 👏

[b]Steve Lawson Workshop[/b]
Steve had this to say about his workshop;

'...Am happy to do whatever fits best - gig/masterclass/Q&A/bit of all three (I'm sure whatever I do will turn into a bit of all three of those. :)'

Again, it sounds great and definitely not one to miss!

[b]Ian Robinson, luthier[/b]
Ian has kindly offered to come along again this year and do set ups and other techy stuff on the day.

In order to make it worthwhile for Ian to come up for the day from the south coast for the day, it'd be good if he had an idea of any work that anyone might need. So, if there's anything that you need done on a bass, guitar, mandolin etc, please could you post up a request here so Ian knows what kit to bring up with him. Thanks! 😊

[b]Other stuff[/b]
We were hoping that walbassist could run a fretless bass workshop, but Gareth's now not available on the day, so hopefully we can do that next year instead.

There will of course be all the usual other stuff going on of course, [b]The Jam Room[/b], [b]For Sale area[/b] in the Foyer, the big [b]Hall[/b] where you can set up all of you gear and basses, etc, etc and of course the [b] Refreshments Area[/b] ☕🍩 in the Foyer brilliantly arranged and managed by 🌠 Mrs Hamster! 🌠

By the way, if anyone would like to [b]donate some goodies for the Raffle[/b], it would be very much appreciated!

So, thanks again for looking and we look forward to seeing you next month! 😊

Nik/obbm/Happy Jack/bluejay

Very much looking forward to this. I have a gig the night before and a gig in the evening so will probably be knackered but it'll be fun!

Is there going to be a thread with people listing their items for sale or just turn up and see what's available? One of my ACGs will have a for sale sign on it probably :o

Ok!

For Sale
ACG Finn 5 Custom
33" Scale
Maple/wenge neck with wenge fingerboard
Ash body, wenge accent, myrtle top
Volume, active blend, passive tone with pull pot for passive blend
Schiller straplocks

Built for me in 2015

BassBash price £1075 including Hiscox case

See / PM Merton if you're interested :)

Apologies for the silly question, have only just signed up to the forum, never played a bass and don't currently own one (hoping to get one soon). Is this something that's open for a clueless beginner to just come along and have a bit of a nose please ? Only about an hour or so drive and would be nice to have a nose at some bass playing up close and personal and see some different bass' in the flesh so to speak. If it is open to anyone with an interest in bass do you pay at the door or need to buy a ticket in advance ? Cheers :)

[quote name='Quevlar' timestamp='1505093787' post='3369432']
Apologies for the silly question, have only just signed up to the forum, never played a bass and don't currently own one (hoping to get one soon). Is this something that's open for a clueless beginner to just come along and have a bit of a nose please ? Only about an hour or so drive and would be nice to have a nose at some bass playing up close and personal and see some different bass' in the flesh so to speak. If it is open to anyone with an interest in bass do you pay at the door or need to buy a ticket in advance? Cheers :)
[/quote]
Hi and welcome to BassChat.

Yes, this is an ideal opportunity for you. I've not been to this bash, but been to others.

What happens here is you can go along and pay on the door. You get to meet a lot of people who've played for many years and try out their gear. Don't worry about that fact that you don't actually know what notes to play. You might even get your first bass lesson here for free!

Use this chance to hear the tone of some basses through various gear set-ups. Try basses with different types of pickups and learn all about the benefits of different types of bass. Those here can also tell you about strings and you may be able to hear the different types and try them out on the basses there.

This day might actually save you a load of money because it will give you the chance to try without buying because most shops don't stock the type of gear you'll find here.

[quote name='Quevlar' timestamp='1505093787' post='3369432']
Apologies for the silly question, have only just signed up to the forum, never played a bass and don't currently own one (hoping to get one soon). Is this something that's open for a clueless beginner to just come along and have a bit of a nose please ? Only about an hour or so drive and would be nice to have a nose at some bass playing up close and personal and see some different bass' in the flesh so to speak. If it is open to anyone with an interest in bass do you pay at the door or need to buy a ticket in advance ? Cheers :)
[/quote]

Like Grangur said, you'll find everyone really approachable and more than keen to let you have a look at their gear. And a noodle if you pluck up the courage. It's a really, really fun day.

Oh, and bring your bass and get Ian to do a quick set up on it. You'll be astonished at the difference getting someone to tweak the string height, neck profile etc will make to how well it plays... See you there! I'll be the guy with the MarkBass 2x10 and a couple o f Wal basses in the big room. Make sure to say, HI! and have a go on them!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1505108350' post='3369439']

Like Grangur said, you'll find everyone really approachable and more than keen to let you have a look at their gear. And a noodle if you pluck up the courage. It's a really, really fun day.

Oh, and bring your bass and get Ian to do a quick set up on it. You'll be astonished at the difference getting someone to tweak the string height, neck profile etc will make to how well it plays... See you there! I'll be the guy with the MarkBass 2x10 and a couple o f Wal basses in the big room. Make sure to say, HI! and have a go on them!
[/quote]

+2 to yours and Grangur's posts Trevor, and welcome to Basschat Quevlar. 😊

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1505108473' post='3369441']
Shouldn't we also start a list of raffle donations?

RAFFLE DONATIONS:

Trevor - Joyo OD pedal and pot-luck CD bundles
[/quote]

Good idea Trevor... 😊

I'll add in a bass stand to that, and I still have some stuff that you donated lat year, so I'll bring that to.

Actually, scratch that, I'll bring my 5 string fretless Rick Turner Renaissance... that's up for sale :)

Sx

[quote name='Steve Lawson' timestamp='1505119169' post='3369518']
I'm really looking forward to see you all on the day! I'll have a ton of toys with me, and none of it will be for sale ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1505065578' post='3369267']
Looks like I might be able to make it this year, if anyone wants a hand with setting up their compressor I'll be more than happy to sort you out....
[/quote]

You can come and explain it all to me again mate! lol!