Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala - Bristol gig

bootleg

Wondering if anyone will going along to this solo gig in Bristol, Monday 19th June, at Leftbank, Stokes Croft?

Not everyone's cup of tea I realize, but I thought I'd post this for information.

https://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/eventdetails.aspx?e=15644

Top bloke is Janek, met him about 12 years ago and he was really chatty and had lots of time for people. He spent a good hour or so before his gig just hanging out with people then after the gig stuck around to watch some other acts and hang out with some more people. He was sharing a practice technique with me that I still can't get right after 12 years!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1497864435' post='3320889']
Top bloke is Janek, met him about 12 years ago and he was really chatty and had lots of time for people. He spent a good hour or so before his gig just hanging out with people then after the gig stuck around to watch some other acts and hang out with some more people. He was sharing a practice technique with me that I still can't get right after 12 years!
[/quote]

Ooh, what's that then?

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1497871948' post='3320946']
Ooh, what's that then?
[/quote]

Difficult to describe but essentially a 2 octave major arpeggio ascending followed by a 2 octave minor arpeggio descending but you start the minor a semitone up from where you finished the major. I can do it just not at the speed he can!

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1497877704' post='3321025']
Sounds a bit like that diminished arp to minor arp thing he has in All The Good Stuff - that it?
[/quote]

Very similar yeah. Like I said I can do it at a fairly moderate tempo but doing it at Janek's pace is pretty much a no go! And thus I continue to shed lol!

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1497915033' post='3321355']
What a great show. Intense sweaty performance. Absorbing and more accessible than I expected. Pretty amazing playing straight after travelling from LA. He came 7000 miles, so I only had to walk 1.
[/quote]

When I met him he'd literally come straight from the airport and plugged in his bass to warm up. He said he hadn't even had time to cut his finger nails so he was having to roll his tone off a bit to stop it sounding to clanky! Can't knock his drive and his enthusiasm, I've always found him to be a really distinctive and engaging player with a "sound" about him that singles him out. More than likely this is his note choices and phrasing because he sounds the same whether he's playing a P-Bass or a Fodera.

Edited by AdamWoodBass

Ok, since Adam Wood appears to have signed some sort of NDA with Janek, here's my best guess as to what the exercise is, in case anyone else is interested:

Example is a G major to Ab minor arpeggio. The convention is Note, String, Finger. Haven't got a bass to hand so hope there's no mistakes. This is just my way of playing it.

(The major arpeggio bit)
G E 2
B A 1
D A 4
G D 2
B G 1
D G 4

(Now descending minor arpeggio bit)
Eb G 3
B D 4
Ab D 1
Eb A 3
B E 4
Ab E 1

You're then set up to play an A with your second finger, restarting the pattern playing Amaj to Bbmin. It's a neat little warmup, could take you all the way up the neck. For improv/jazz bods, it's useful when playing over altered chords - G alt is just Ab melodic minor over G, so you could go up a G major arp followed by an Ab minor arp to really clearly outline that sound.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1497973681' post='3321747']
Ok, since Adam Wood appears to have signed some sort of NDA with Janek, here's my best guess as to what the exercise is, in case anyone else is interested:

Example is a G major to Ab minor arpeggio. The convention is Note, String, Finger. Haven't got a bass to hand so hope there's no mistakes. This is just my way of playing it.

(The major arpeggio bit)
G E 2
B A 1
D A 4
G D 2
B G 1
D G 4

(Now descending minor arpeggio bit)
Eb G 3
B D 4
Ab D 1
Eb A 3
B E 4
Ab E 1

You're then set up to play an A with your second finger, restarting the pattern playing Amaj to Bbmin. It's a neat little warmup, could take you all the way up the neck. For improv/jazz bods, it's useful when playing over altered chords - G alt is just Ab melodic minor over G, so you could go up a G major arp followed by an Ab minor arp to really clearly outline that sound.
[/quote]

That's pretty much it I think, don't have my bass to hand as I'm at work but I think this is it! In fairness the thing he showed me was quite a long time ago and my memory may have mutated it into the exercise I use in my practice routine so might not be the same. When I get a chance I'll sit down and write it out but what you've posted there seems to be pretty close from memory.