Why become a member? ×

Current Musicman Stingray build quality

Quatschmacher

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1503569374' post='3359216']
I love stingrays & have owned three,a 2 band,a 3 band & recently a classic.
All where lovely to play & beautifully made but each one had a very week G string that sounded fine solo but got lost in a live mix.
Tried the pick-up pole piece mod & even changed to a Nordstrand pick-up,all to no avail.
Maybe it's just me,but I never have this problem with anything else.
[/quote]

I had a Stingray which also suffered from a audibly quieter G, which I read was a known problem with the Stingrays although not a known problem if you happen to bring it up on the Ernie Ball Music Man forum. I sold my single humbucker Stinger and bought the two pickup Stingray HS instead. Not sure if this is still a problem for anyone playing a single humbucker Stingray?

That slight issue with the single humbucker and the difference in volume with the G string was the only thing that you could say was a negative aspect with that bass, still a great instrument. The feel, sound and build quality was awesome. My current Stingray HS which I've had for 9 years is an absolute belter!! As the previous one was. The quality of these basses still astounds me; the quality control and build quality in general (as others here have said) is super high. Another notable thing is the neck so rarely falls out of adjustment in comparison to other basses - it's so easy to access and adjust the truss rod if it does too.

I know that the price of Stingrays has shot up recently but in this case you certainly get what you pay for

Edited by EdLib-3

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1503584148' post='3359395']
Hi artisan..................

Just purchased a used Sytingray ( made 2015 ), and it also has the quiet G sting ( Tried Eball , Fender, Rotosound stings ) still quiet .

What is the pickup pole piece mod ?

Pete
[/quote]
Hi Pete
Basically you just push the pole pieces on the A & D strings down so they are level with the others.
If you type it into YouTube there are a couple of videos on there.
I was a bit rougher though & just pushed them down with the pick-up still mounted in the bass.
It helped a little but not enough for me,so away it went.
The Nordstrand pick-up didn't make any real difference either.
It's a real shame as they are beautiful basses,judicious compressor use may help a bit too but I have only just discovered how useful they are.
Hope you get sorted
Neil

Edited by artisan

Hi Guys,

Tilted the pup (nearer the G string , and further away on the E) for tonights gig . I WILL TAKE A SCREWDRIVER WITH ME - JUST IN

CASE ! .

If there is no improvement , I will then move the pole pieces , or try a compressor to even out .

Must go , the van is outside for me .

Pete

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1503595621' post='3359560']
Hi Guys,

Tilted the pup (nearer the G string , and further away on the E) for tonights gig . I WILL TAKE A SCREWDRIVER WITH ME - JUST IN

CASE ! .

If there is no improvement , I will then move the pole pieces , or try a compressor to even out .

Must go , the van is outside for me .

Pete
[/quote]

Other than getting the pick up orientation correct (there are factory settings), you may find that injudicious boosting of the bass EQ may appear to create this effect when stood in front of your amp, especially if you scoop the sound on the amp as well - even more so if you play in a band where the stage sound is awash with low end keyboard or guitar chords - however Stingrays don't create this effect when recorded, or even at FOH which leads to a conclusion that the problem some people find is to do with EQ choices on amp and/or bass.

As the pole pieces on a single humbucker Stingray follow the contours of the neck (and thus string height from that end of the bass), the only way I could think that levelling the pole pieces would alter anything would be if someone has set the bass up, for instance with low and completely even saddle heights thus making the D and A strings closer to the pole pieces.

Another thing to consider is string guage - Stingrays come fitted with 100 to 45 stings - put a 105 on and it may change the balance towards biasing the E string.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1503595621' post='3359560']
Hi Guys,

CASE ! .

Pete
[/quote]

I suffered with a quiet G for a while, in the end I just raised the pickup on the G side and it did the trick.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Tilting the pup did help in making the G a littte louder , but aslo added a quiet low E !

My saddle heights follow the curve of fingerboard / pup poles .

I will set up as per spec - pup level with scratchplate - put my M5 back on my pedalboard - and have a mess about today with the

compressors , to see if that helps .

Compressor does not sort it out .

The way I have it set at the moment is .....................

The distance from top of plastic cover to bottom of G string is to spec ( .188" ) and lowering the E side to .250" gap seems to improve it .

The radius on the bridge follows the fingerboard .

Anyhow, I seem to be spending more time tweeking than playing , so I am gonna try it at this setting tomorrow night .