Why become a member? ×

Bring me up to speed on the world of bass amps

richardjmorgan

An update on amps for the thread opener:

- class d amps rule the market, usually with smps (no big trannies, high efficiency, low weight)
- they come with a wide span of prices
- you can buy these toasters with wattage starting frm 200 to 2000 +. They can be loud.
- class d - smps is the absolute standard in foh and pa applications. No one is prone to carry those fridge racks of old anymore, me too
- abeit the vast majority of bass players do use micros, the crude reality is that they do not sound or behave as good as the old technology, class AB and obviously tubes, but the consensus is that micros do sound good ( because low weight and form has become the most relevant factor) so we must be careful when talking about quality and differences so...
- build your own opinion
- myself, I will not spend money on toasters anymore

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1497636469' post='3319733']
What do people reckon to the EBS Reidmar 500? Seems quite reasonable for what you get.
[/quote]

I have the Reidmar 750 and it's a beast of an amp. Tone and volume in spades. So, even though I haven't heard a 500, for the price, I reckon they must be a super-bargain. They don't have the "drive" knob that's on the 750 though if that's important to you.

Also, Thomann have the old version, the Reidmar 470, for £388. These have a reputation for being more powerful than the figures suggest. Worth a punt if you're on a tight budget?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1497642052' post='3319786']

I have the Reidmar 750 and it's a beast of an amp. Tone and volume in spades. So, even though I haven't heard a 500, for the price, I reckon they must be a super-bargain. They don't have the "drive" knob that's on the 750 though if that's important to you.

Also, Thomann have the old version, the Reidmar 470, for £388. These have a reputation for being more powerful than the figures suggest. Worth a punt if you're on a tight budget?

Frank.
[/quote]
Cheers man! Not too worried about the Drive, as I'm planning to run a Bass Muff in front, so this might be worth having a crack at!

Im a massive fan of big valvey monsters. I've done the lightweight thing and and found them to be absolutely dreadful, soulless and a pale imitation of the real thing. It's big transformers that deliver massive heft that I can't get enough of.

If you're up for some real unmitigated tone, a Laney Nexus Tube delivers in spades. Old Testament power and thump with a very modern and well thought out front end section.

Also, they are designed and made in the U.K.

I've got a big valve amp. I've had a lightweight class D. Both sounded different. Both sounded equally as good & bot got compliments.
If you get a lame sound from a class D, then it's maybe not the map, but the bass/player.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1497605781' post='3319409']
Compared to the OTB do the other class D hybrid amps have similar high levels of overdrive/distortion available?

I am planning to down-size my rig very soon. I play with an overdriven sound all the time, varied by how hard I play, pick/fingers etc. My preference is a hybrid amp with the input level high to get the distortion, I DI from the amp 99% of gigs. I’ve heard a couple of OTB heads in action and was impressed. I currently use a Hartke 3500 with the input at 7/10 to get the drive (yes I know it’s not as sweet as an all-tube head).
[/quote]

I have the OTB, and have used it in a stoner rock band. Great amp, but I always used a pedal with it for overdrive and tone shaping. The drive by itself is thick, dark and mushy, more Motown than metal, but it actually works really well to soften the harsh sounds that some drive pedals produce.

If you want to skip pedals and want an amp with a great overdrive tone, the Tech21 VT500 is definitely worth an audition. They are great value for money too. I might even be listing mine for sale soon as I just stick to my Orange plus pedals these days...

Other amps I know with decent built in overdrive are the GK MB Fusion, Aguilar Tonehammer, TC RH750, and the Ashdown stuff.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1497605781' post='3319409']
Compared to the OTB do the other class D hybrid amps have similar high levels of overdrive/distortion available?
[/quote]

It depends on how's the pre-amp made, so it's not directly related to Class D. Class D is used in power amp section, which is supposed to provide clean amplification. Tone (including overdrive) is created in pre-amp and those are still typically Class A.

That's all cool. Having heard a couple in the flesh, I've gone for an OTB. I've also got a new cab on the way, a TC Electronic K212. This should be enough for the kind of gigs I do, very rarely without PA support. I've also got a 1x12 I can add if needed but think this would be very rare indeed. I'll let you know how I get on, next gig Saturday 8th July.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1498405011' post='3324338']
I have the OTB, and have used it in a stoner rock band. Great amp, but I always used a pedal with it for overdrive and tone shaping. The drive by itself is thick, dark and mushy, more Motown than metal, but it actually works really well to soften the harsh sounds that some drive pedals produce.
[/quote]

Having tried the OTB at home last night at very low volume indeed, I agree. Amps with valve preamps I've had before have added a lot of fizz/grind, whereas the OTB adds distortion all the way down, and doesn't make the overall sound more trebly than the clean sound at all. I think it sound quite fruity! :D