Why become a member? ×

Smooth steel strings?

Manwithvan

Another vote for Prosteels. Not that different in feel to D'Addario Nickels. I use both. The Nickels are better on Fretless but also play nicely on Warwicks and Stingrays. Of course the nickels are smoother but the Prosteels will not cut up your hands. I've used so many diff brands and makes of steels I've lost count. Prosteels are the winner and not expensive. And if you're a 5 string player you will not be let down, killer B.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I take the point one will adjust to different strings, but due to misordering single strings I once ended up mixing stainless G &D strings with nickel A& E. Not as stupid as it sounds, perhaps. Big differences in sound quality on same notes across the strings, but there was a big difference in feel too. I'll start with Pro Steels I think.

Rotosound Swing Bass RS6665LD

After playing flats and half wounds for years, by far the happiest I've been with strings in years.
Bright highs but not too, Deep lows but not too, etc...

Can't say there's any objective comparisson between other steels, but I really enjoy the smooth feel and big and clear sound.

Edited by astar