Jump to content
Al Krow

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Where to buy second hand since here it is taboo?

It is now yes, although I can't remember if it was when I wrote that. Well even that is John Hall's own fault, by stymieing the sales of his instruments second hand that means that fewer beginners and people with a lower income will be able to buy their first Rick, which means they'll be less likely to buy a new one in the future.

 

Facebook groups would be your best be I suppose.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Where to buy second hand since here it is taboo?

I sold mine, on commission, through The Gallery. Maybe check them out.

 

Mods - I hope this was OK.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/07/2018 at 23:13, Woodinblack said:

 

I look of the rockers of today - I still see les pauls and strats, I see stingrays, I see fenders. I don't see rics.

That’s because they (guitars and basses) are mainly being played by Indie/pop bands IME. Snow Patrol, Bombay Bicycle Club, Editors, Radiohead, Kasabian, Tame Impala, Warpaint, Etc Etc. Of course there are also Al Cisneros (recent signature model too) and the guy from Clutch. I always see quite a few at Glastonbury. The only things I see far more of are Fenders and Gibsons. I probably see about the same number of ‘Rays. I see far fewer Warwicks or Ibanezes, but I’m pretty sure loads of people still play them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, drlargepants said:

Annoying isn’t it ? I want to get rid of mine but I can’t do it here. 

Are they still being bells about this sort of thing ? (Ric)

Facebook, gumtree, ebay. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that the Rickenbacker Bass FB Group (mostly Septics) were having a right old moan about BC having a ban on selling Ric's here.

Facebook, Gunmtree, eBay, Reverb, etc.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how they sound. And after playing MANY thru' the years that's all the good things I can say about them. Don't like how they play, hate their bridges, dual truss rod crap (and many other terrible design decisions), and also hate how little R&D they put into it. Not only it's about time they start changing that abominable highly obsolete bridge, in general, it's about time they improve products throughout their lifetime (not frantically, simply fix what you do wrong and gets proven wrong with time, because there's many a thing). Yes, I know, the new 4003/S5 has a decent bridge, but also has these b/s triangular pickups, incompatible to anything. I'll probably never own a RIC (if you've held, say, a Musicman and a RIC side by side you will never be able  pay more for a RIC than a Musicman, I mean, the RIC feels CHEAP). But hey, people keep buying them, so no need for Rickenbacker to evolve a thing. And, contrary to the latest overhyped "woke" tendencies these days, I still think a free market to be a good idea and telling others how to buy feels both pointless and authoritarian to me, so to each their own, even tho' I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

 

Edited by andruca
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, andruca said:

I like how they sound. And after playing MANY thru' the years that's all the good things I can say about them. Don't like how they play, hate their bridges, dual truss rod crap (and many other terrible design decisions), and also hate how little R&D they put into it. Not only it's about time they start changing that abominable highly obsolete bridge, in general, it's about time they improve products throughout their lifetime (not frantically, simply fix what you do wrong and gets proven wrong with time, because there's many a thing). Yes, I know, the new 4003/S5 has a decent bridge, but also has these b/s triangular pickups, incompatible to anything. I'll probably never own a RIC (if you've held, say, a Musicman and a RIC side by side you will never be able  pay more for a RIC than a Musicman, I mean, the RIC feels CHEAP). But hey, people keep buying them, so no need for Rickenbacker to evolve a thing. And, contrary to the latest overhyped "woke" tendencies these days, I still think a free market to be a good idea and telling others how to buy feels both pointless and authoritarian to me, so to each their own, even tho' I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

 

I think we could make the same comment about many of the US bass manufacturers.....

But to be fair, when a supplier makes an 'improvement' how often is it met with criticism?  With Ric, the 4004 (cii and Laredo) arguably addresses many of the issues with a 4003, (proper bridge, no ironware, profiled body) but I bet the 4003 outsells it 10 to 1.  Not sure what the issue is supposed to be with the dual rods - I've always found them easy on a 4003 (but wouldn't have a 4001 for love nor money).

Fender still sell shed loads of AVIs despite the improvements on the modern lines.

I own a couple of MMs and a 4003, the MMs get a lot more play than the 4003 but it doesn't stop me enjoying the latter when I decide to use it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just swapped my jazz bass for a 4003SW & couldn't be happier.

It  doesn't feel cheaply made to me in fact quite to opposite,I'm really liking it so far.

As for the bridge,yes it's a shyte design 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martthebass said:

I think we could make the same comment about many of the US bass manufacturers.....

But to be fair, when a supplier makes an 'improvement' how often is it met with criticism?  With Ric, the 4004 (cii and Laredo) arguably addresses many of the issues with a 4003, (proper bridge, no ironware, profiled body) but I bet the 4003 outsells it 10 to 1.  Not sure what the issue is supposed to be with the dual rods - I've always found them easy on a 4003 (but wouldn't have a 4001 for love nor money).

Fender still sell shed loads of AVIs despite the improvements on the modern lines.

I own a couple of MMs and a 4003, the MMs get a lot more play than the 4003 but it doesn't stop me enjoying the latter when I decide to use it 

Yep - RIC took all of the comments onboard and released the 4004, which addressed them.

Guess what? Everybody still went and bought the 4003!

The reason RIC still make the 4003 is because that's what people want to buy.

Me, I like the way they play, the dual truss rods (which work as described), the bridge/tailpiece (I've tried the others and put back the stock one), the incremental design tweaks, the quality of the finish (I picked up a Ric pickguard on the weekend and could tell immediately it was an original).

It's a 60 year-old design which is still the best on the market.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music Man - an ugly, big heavy awkward lump, with a neck like a tree-trunk, a gonky looking round pickguard, and one tuner on the wrong side, just to make it difficult for you - pah!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prowla said:

Music Man - an ugly, big heavy awkward lump, with a neck like a tree-trunk, a gonky looking round pickguard, and one tuner on the wrong side, just to make it difficult for you - pah!

The ones I've tried weren't heavy and the necks are fine unless you like Jazz basses. Certainly not Gibson Les Paul bass neck baseball bat. Yeah, okay, One of the tuners is under the neck and the scratchplate is a bit odd, but they're not rubbish instruments. I hasten to say, I don't own one and do own a Rick. Both different, both with different tricks and sounds. I'd happily have one in double humbucker variant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andruca said:

 I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

 

 

 

That guy is just in-character for Youtube likes (and money). He's talking nonsense based on outdated experiences with '70s Rickenbacker instruments. He doesn't like them because you can't spanner away on them like he does to every Fender he ever videos (and goodness me, he's repetitive and boring). Rickenbackers require more effort and finesse to make them play nicely. You either pick up these skills or become a bitter one-trick jerk like Dave here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prowla said:

Music Man - an ugly, big heavy awkward lump, with a neck like a tree-trunk, a gonky looking round pickguard, and one tuner on the wrong side, just to make it difficult for you - pah!

And they make one sound, so you better like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, martthebass said:

I think we could make the same comment about many of the US bass manufacturers.....

But to be fair, when a supplier makes an 'improvement' how often is it met with criticism?  With Ric, the 4004 (cii and Laredo) arguably addresses many of the issues with a 4003, (proper bridge, no ironware, profiled body) but I bet the 4003 outsells it 10 to 1.  Not sure what the issue is supposed to be with the dual rods - I've always found them easy on a 4003 (but wouldn't have a 4001 for love nor money).

Fender still sell shed loads of AVIs despite the improvements on the modern lines.

I own a couple of MMs and a 4003, the MMs get a lot more play than the 4003 but it doesn't stop me enjoying the latter when I decide to use it 

Haven’t they stopped making the 4004? Could be wrong, but I thought they had. I always bring up the 4004 and it’s “improvements” to the naysayers, to be met with crickets. 

I’ve never had issues with the twin rods either, and most people’s issues stem from not knowing the correct way to adjust the older ‘70s rods and thus bodging it. FWIW Alembic also use dual rods and I don’t see too many people complaining about those. What’s more, Ric rods, old or new, are field replaceable. 

FWIW I wouldn’t say a Ray is better than a Ric or vice versa. They’re completely different. But having played hundreds of examples of both, I know which I prefer, and it ain’t the Ray. 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andruca said:

I like how they sound. And after playing MANY thru' the years that's all the good things I can say about them. Don't like how they play, hate their bridges, dual truss rod crap (and many other terrible design decisions), and also hate how little R&D they put into it. Not only it's about time they start changing that abominable highly obsolete bridge, in general, it's about time they improve products throughout their lifetime (not frantically, simply fix what you do wrong and gets proven wrong with time, because there's many a thing). Yes, I know, the new 4003/S5 has a decent bridge, but also has these b/s triangular pickups, incompatible to anything. I'll probably never own a RIC (if you've held, say, a Musicman and a RIC side by side you will never be able  pay more for a RIC than a Musicman, I mean, the RIC feels CHEAP). But hey, people keep buying them, so no need for Rickenbacker to evolve a thing. And, contrary to the latest overhyped "woke" tendencies these days, I still think a free market to be a good idea and telling others how to buy feels both pointless and authoritarian to me, so to each their own, even tho' I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

 

That guy is a complete cockwomble. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing sounds like a Ric growl and along with it the iconic 50s design is the reason why it’s lasted so long and will continue to do so.  Here’s my little friend...
 

FA0D3A2F-6174-46A8-9A23-95B733BF944A.thumb.jpeg.c5bdbb299f3e1fa477668cb4fe597da4.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I mention I've got 7 Rics?

5s5izdV.jpg

Only 1 MM, though (a SUB)...

qFB7qI9.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, prowla said:

Did I mention I've got 7 Rics?

5s5izdV.jpg

Only 1 MM, though (a SUB)...

qFB7qI9.jpg

Was the MB 4004 from Nick’s Guitars? I was planning on buying that and someone beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it on ebay. 
It had a zero-mod fitted, if you recall from a couple of years back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2019 at 10:14, Sarlscharisma said:

Nothing sounds like a Ric growl and along with it the iconic 50s design is the reason why it’s lasted so long and will continue to do so.  Here’s my little friend...
 

FA0D3A2F-6174-46A8-9A23-95B733BF944A.thumb.jpeg.c5bdbb299f3e1fa477668cb4fe597da4.jpeg

I do love a growl on my basses! Be interested to know whether you've ever compared a Ric growl to a Warwick MEC growl or an Ibby Nordstrand Big Single growl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prowla said:

I got it on ebay. 
It had a zero-mod fitted, if you recall from a couple of years back. 

Think it was advertised on eBay by the same seller. May not be the same bass but the fingerboard looks familiar. Is this yours?:

F14EDD5A-FC57-453D-A202-C801B590C9F5.jpeg

Edited by 4000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I do love a growl on my basses! Be interested to know whether you've ever compared a Ric growl to a Warwick MEC growl or an Ibby Nordstrand Big Single growl?

I’ve had all 3. The Ric growl is IMO very different to the others IMO, but the construction and pickup placement are also very different. I’ve always found with the Ibbys and Warwicks I have to really boost the lows and mids to get what I want out of them, although it is a good sound. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...