Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

On 25/01/2020 at 14:16, Happy Jack said:

The price has dropped from the silly numbers that were floating about when I wrote that review. They peaked at about £3400 in late 2018, spent most of last year at around £2600, and are now available (in the UK and Germany) for less than £2200. Google is your friend.

FWIW, if the price (new) drops below £2000 it is entirely possible that I'll buy one. I was, and remain, very impressed by that bass.

Well, if you look on reverb, there are a couple that are new and below £2000 (albeit, by £1!).

One thing I don't get. I see the pickups are meant to mirror the inlays on ricks, but all the 4003/5s have dot inlays (which I think look pretty cheap) - seems like it would make more sense if they had the normal inlays?

I saved up for a year to buy Jetglo 4003 as they were/are iconic and a few of my fav bassist used them.

Sadly the ergonomics did for me.  I tried for about a year then gave up and sold it on (for a modest profit).  My view would be if you like it, are happy with the ergonomics go for it.  But buy a good preloved one and you will not loose money if the relationship doesn;t last.

6 minutes ago, ead said:

I saved up for a year to buy Jetglo 4003 as they were/are iconic and a few of my fav bassist used them.

Sadly the ergonomics did for me.  I tried for about a year then gave up and sold it on (for a modest profit).  My view would be if you like it, are happy with the ergonomics go for it.  But buy a good preloved one and you will not loose money if the relationship doesn;t last.

For me, Rics are really playable, so each to their own.

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, if you look on reverb, there are a couple that are new and below £2000 (albeit, by £1!).

One thing I don't get. I see the pickups are meant to mirror the inlays on ricks, but all the 4003/5s have dot inlays (which I think look pretty cheap) - seems like it would make more sense if they had the normal inlays?

That was a struggle! If you hadn't specifically told me that it was there, I'd never have found it. Whoever designed that website should be strung up by the microchips.

The shape of the pickups has nothing to do with the old shark-tooth inlays, apparently. It's to do with improving the response on the lower strings, or so I was told when I asked them about it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Woody. I may now need to have a chat with young Silvie ...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That was a struggle! If you hadn't specifically told me that it was there, I'd never have found it. Whoever designed that website should be strung up by the microchips.

Really? I just put in 4003/5 in the search, then selected 'is in the UK' and saw them there.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Seems to be a couple available at £1,590 with free shipping(?)

VAT and Customs, and handling = just under £2k.

Not worth the hassle of getting it from the states then when there are 2 at just under 2k in the uk. Or should I say, now 1 at just under 2k in the uk? :D

eta - "For all International Orders we ask that you please contact us by email or phone for a Custom Shipping Quote and if the product is available to be shipped to your area."

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not worth the hassle of getting it from the states then when there are 2 at just under 2k in the uk. Or should I say, now 1 at just under 2k in the uk? :D

Only seem to be puke colour available in the UK. If you want the Matt Black that ships from the US for just under £2k then that will set you back £2,599 over here.

Although I agree, I'd much prefer to get my basses already over here too!

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Only seem to be puke colour available in the UK. If you want the Matt Black that ships from the US for just under £2k then that will set you back £2,599 over here.

There was, when I first looked, a matt black one available at that price too. Seems to have gone now.

• Haha 1

I think it's quite unfair, the way you're all jumping to conclusions like this. Just because there was a single matte-black 4003s5 for sale in the UK for less than £2k before someone pointed it out to me, and now it's gone, there's no reason, absolutely no reason at all, to assume blithely that I bought it.

No reason.

Ahem.

No reason at all.

:on_the_quiet:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks nicer in normal light.  I think when they are down to £1k I might be tempted!

That was also pretty quick. Sorry again for mentioning it though :D

Yeah, agreed - that actually does look very tasty!

And the Ric's not too shabby either 😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

You've got more Corvette 5s than I do! :D (I've got a Fortress 5 and 3 Corvette 5s.)

@Happy Jack is not a fan of Corvettes, or Warwicks. We wouldn't play each other's basses even if we were both right-handed! 🙄 😄

I took a couple of Warwicks to the last Bass Bash, but the folks with Spectors glared at me!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, prowla said:

I took a couple of Warwicks to the last Bass Bash, but the folks with Spectors glared at me!

I used to own a Warwick. But praise be, I've seen the light brother, and a Spectre has been lifted from my bass soul 😁

• Like 1