Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

IMHO they are THE marmite Bass.

If you're going to go ahead make sure you try one whilst standing up and wearing it on a strap, i.e., normal playing position.

I only say this coz that's where I went wrong. I bought one from The Gallery in Camden some years ago, played it for a good while in the shop, whilst sitting on a stool. Loved it, bought it.

Took it on its first gig and it became a different guitar. Lack of arm chamfer made it very painful on the forearm, also I was mainly a pick player at the time, and even though I had Martin take off the top bit, I was still catching my pick on the huge pickup surround which stands proud of the body.

For me, it was undoubtedly the best looking Bass I've ever worn, but I simply couldn't play it.

I don't doubt I could have spent some time modifying my technique and made it work somehow, but I couldn't be @rsed honestly.

I've owned something like 15 different Rics from all eras except the '60s (did get one but never received it - that's a whole other story) and my favourite Rics have seen off everything else, including Alembics, Wals, Jaydees, Seis, a bunch of Warwicks, Fenders, all sorts of things. They just work for me, which isn't to say they'll work for anyone else. I find them very versatile, I love how they look, play and feel, and personally I prefer the tone to anything else.

HOWEVER!!! Please bear in mind that Ric necks have varied hugely, often by year. My '72s are relatively wide and flat (for Ricks). All the '72s I've tried are pretty much the same. '73s can be anything from similar (at the very start) to Precision-sized. Most of the other '70s ones I've owned feel narrower and rounder, but again they all vary. Do not assume that having played one, or even several similar, that they'll all feel the same. They won't. Same goes for tone. Pickups have changed, pot values have changed, construction has changed across the years. I had 2 Rics, an '80 and a '76, prior to finding my '72. Neither worked for me tonally and I was never 100% happy with the necks or feel. The '72 was so far above them, for my tastes, as to be virtually unmeasurable, and remains my favourite by far of the probably thousands of various basses I've played. I've played literally hundreds of Rics and I've found that anything after early '73 up to the early V63 and CSs just don't really work for me, although they do vary a lot. The newer ones, around 2011 onwards, I generally like. But of course YMMV. Ultimately, find one you like and buy it, because you may not find another exactly the same. Oh, and as for ergonomics, they remain possibly the only bass I can play comfortably with my various ailments, which is contrary to some people's experiences. Again, YMMV.

If you find an instrument you bond with, whatever instrument that is, whatever brand it is, then that's great for you, regardless of whether it suits someone else.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497444981' post='3318197']

That's a great post 4000. We should forget all the histrionics that go all with certain makes and models and just go with what feels right.
[/quote]

Agreed

Same your strings, amps, cabs, pedals etc.

I agree with a lot of what's been said above. The 4003 is definitely a marmite bass, it didn't take for me the first time around but I came back to one (via a 4004Cii that I really didn't like) a few years back and hopefully I'll keep this one until the end of my playing days. It isn't my goto bass by any means but the sound and experience of playing it puts a smile on my face and that's good enough reason for me to keep one.

If you like it and you can afford it then go for it, more power to you for finding a bass you love.
Personally for me though they are too expensive for me to consider buying, most Rics I have seen have been upward of 2k which is not that far off of custom territory

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1497453827' post='3318310']
If you like it and you can afford it then go for it, more power to you for finding a bass you love.
Personally for me though they are too expensive for me to consider buying, most Rics I have seen have been upward of 2k which is not that far off of custom territory
[/quote]Both of my custom builds were less than my 4003s. However, if one ever needs to realise the equity in a Rickenbacker, I'm guessing the comparable return over a custom build would be a fair amount. I can't believe how much a new 4003s costs now, compared to what I payed.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1497430935' post='3318007']
Chris Squires so heavily modified it probably does not count as a rick..

[/quote]

The neck and body had been shaved down somewhat due to removing various different re-finishes - you know, that 60s thing - and it was originally mono then rewired to stereo so he could use a different effect on each pickup, but otherwise it was bog-standard.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1497458583' post='3318364']
Both of my custom builds were less than my 4003s. However, if one ever needs to realise the equity in a Rickenbacker, I'm guessing the comparable return over a custom build would be a fair amount. I can't believe how much a new 4003s costs now, compared to what I payed.
[/quote]

All my custom builds were considerably more, but given I don't have any of them anymore and I still have my '72s, and they're both steadily going up in value whilst my customs halved almost instantly (well, except for the Alembic), my Rics seem better value in the long run, to me at least. Again, YMMV. Whatever works for you (that's a general you, not a specific one). ;)

Oh, one other final thought; I sold my '76 to a friend who much prefers it to my main '72. Which kind of proves that you should make your own decision based on your own preferences.

Edited by 4000

Ive avoided Ricks all 18 years of my playing life, mainly due to the price and what people say about their inconsistent build quality. Recently Ive bought myself a used but mint condition 2011 Mapleglo 4003. I love everything about it, even the weight and balance which are spot on. I originally went to the seller's house for a 2001 Jetglo 4003 which he was selling for a few hundred quid cheaper. Now if thats all he had on offer I would of walked away empty handed, geez that 2001 4003 Ricky was terrible; bendy neck, bridge parts had seized, warped scratchplate and headplate, broken string mutes etc. a total nightmare of a bass. It was probably clever marketing tactics on his behalf to get more money for the Mapleglo 2011 ricky he sold me in the end :) but I dont care, If I had tried the mapleglo 2011 ricky in a shop I would probably have paid as new prices. Such a magnificent instrument that has proven perfect for everything I do.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1497458942' post='3318370']
The neck and body had been shaved down somewhat due to removing various different re-finishes - you know, that 60s thing - and it was originally mono then rewired to stereo so he could use a different effect on each pickup, but otherwise it was bog-standard.
[/quote]

So apart from the neck, body, finish and some of the electronics it was identical to a standard rick ? :blink:

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1497430810' post='3318004']
The Ric has unique sound and look; I find that if I see a band with one, all I do is look at the Ric and listen for it. A lot of other basses are very samey Fender-alikes; they may be made better than Fenders, but they are visually uninspiring. There is no other bass which is so instantly recognisable. I find I can pick up any other brand of bass and play it and think it was really good, but then I walk away and it's pretty much forgotten.
[/quote]

Wow! That is one heck of a recommendation. Do you currently own a Rick yourself? If not, sounds to me that your case of GAS is an order of magnitude stronger than mine and definitely needs quenching! :)

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1497434722' post='3318049']
I love the look of those walnut 4003s, and that is what I'd be going for if I could come up with a believable excuse to justify one. I fear it might involve the sale of other basses, so it's a bind! I don't know, whatever the situation, I dig Rickenbacker 4003s, and I would like one. 'Nuff said.
[/quote]

Hmmm...starting to feel like we should put a bulk order in for a 4003 each and see if we can get a serious discount...

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1497436451' post='3318073']
IMHO they are THE marmite Bass.
[/quote]

Definitely starting to sense that!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1497436451' post='3318073']
If you're going to go ahead make sure you try one whilst standing up and wearing it on a strap, i.e., normal playing position. I only say this coz that's where I went wrong. I bought one from The Gallery in Camden some years ago, played it for a good while in the shop, whilst sitting on a stool. Loved it, bought it. Took it on its first gig and it became a different guitar. Lack of arm chamfer made it very painful on the forearm, also I was mainly a pick player at the time, and even though I had Martin take off the top bit, I was still catching my pick on the huge pickup surround which stands proud of the body. For me, it was undoubtedly the best looking Bass I've ever worn, but I simply couldn't play it.
[/quote]

Really good advice - I'll definitely make sure to try on with a strap and play standing up.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1497443357' post='3318176']
I've owned something like 15 different Rics from all eras except the '60s (did get one but never received it - that's a whole other story) and my favourite Rics have seen off everything else, including Alembics, Wals, Jaydees, Seis, a bunch of Warwicks, Fenders, all sorts of things. They just work for me, which isn't to say they'll work for anyone else. I find them very versatile, I love how they look, play and feel, and personally I prefer the tone to anything else. If you find an instrument you bond with, whatever instrument that is, whatever brand it is, then that's great for you, regardless of whether it suits someone else.
[/quote]

As someone who has owned FIFTEEN Ricks but also my current flavour of the year (a Warwick), that is quite a recommendation based on a ton of experience. Cheers.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1497379405' post='3317723']
It's the one bass I have no desire to own. Don't like anything about it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1497432173' post='3318020']
yep me also
[/quote]

Gents noted. But WHY?! What is it about this marmite bass that puts you off so strongly?

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1497453827' post='3318310']
If you like it and you can afford it then go for it, more power to you for finding a bass you love. Personally for me though they are too expensive for me to consider buying, most Rics I have seen have been upward of 2k which is not that far off of custom territory
[/quote]

GuitarGuitar have reduced this 4003 by £726 and is now below £2k, but still pricey I agree...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/15012010415832--rickenbacker-4003s-walnut

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497470464' post='3318532']
Wow! That is one heck of a recommendation. Do you currently own a Rick yourself? If not, sounds to me that your case of GAS is an order of magnitude stronger than mine and definitely needs quenching! :)
[/quote]
I've only owned three Rics...

Here's an idea. Don't buy a Rick. Buy a good condition 70s MIJ copy and get everything that's cool about a Rickenbacker with none of the downsides: A truss rod that works! A finish that doesn't change colour and fall off! No association with John Hall! And all for less than 25% of the price of a new 4003.

I'd recommend the Shaftesbury branded copy - still lots of them around, very robust and accurate (some MIJ basses were neither!) and pretty much indistinguishable from the real deal. And if you don't like it, you'll get your money back, no bother.

Just don't go thinking you can buy one on here... :ph34r:

I recently sold a Japanese (Matsumoku) Ric copy - it wasn't a bad bass, in fact it was rather good.

I might some day pick up another one to do up, if I happen across one. (At the moment, I've got a couple of other projects on the go.)

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1497501950' post='3318661']
Are you sure it was the bass that sounded good not the amp?
[/quote]

Well that's a very fair question! I did vary the EQ on the Mesa 800+ with the first couple of basses to give the amp a try out, albeit at moderate volume (I find it difficult to really test out amps in stores unless they have a dedicated sound proofed studio!), but overall I wasn't that impressed by the rig. Don't get me wrong, it was perfectly adequate. But it just didn't come close to the creamy warmth of my Mesa M6 Carbine, which I love, nor did it give me any cause for thinking I needed to swap over to it from Markbass combo either.

I then set the Mesa D800+ flat when comparing the different basses I tried out, which were:

- Lakland Skyline
- Lakland Darryl Jones
- Rickenbacker 4003
- Musicman Stingray

I was left pretty non-plussed overall by the Laklands (in point of fact I thought some of the finishing on the Skyline left a little to be desired e.g. the volume knob was set far too tightly against the wood), which was a bit disappointing as I'd heard good things about them. The Musicman won the day in terms of [i]playability [/i]by some distance of the basses I tried out. It was the tone and tonal variety of the Rick that took me by very pleasant surprise.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1497517768' post='3318757']
This is one of those occasions I was taught about as a child where if you can't say something nice it's better to say nothing at all... :mellow:
[/quote]
You're very right, of course. But the question asked was "why should I avoid getting one?"
You can't say:

1 - The balance well,
2 - They offer something different, not just a me-too version of a Fender like so many others
3 - Unique sound
4 - versatile output config through the 2 jack sockets
5 - ..... err..... but there must be a 5th