Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

On 29/01/2020 at 11:54, Silvia Bluejay said:

It is home! :D

Jack's Ricky! (1).jpg

Jack's Ricky! (2).jpg

So a thread intended to reduce GAS for a Ricky results in another purchase and eager anticipation of its New Bass Day review. I'd be interested to hear how HJ likes the matte black finish on the neck?

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

So a thread intended to reduce GAS for a Ricky results in another purchase and eager anticipation of its New Bass Day review. I'd be interested to hear how HJ likes the matte black finish on the neck?

:D

In all fairness, I made the decision to buy one of these two years ago when I wrote that first review for Bass Guitar Magazine. I was only ever waiting for availability and for the price to drop to a more sensible level (i.e. below £2k).

I like the neck finish a lot. In fact, I like most everything about this bass, despite it apparently ticking virtually none of the boxes that my regular go-to basses tick. I particularly like the fact that it plays SO well with a pick ... my pick-work has long been an embarrassment to me so this should give me some real incentive to raise my game.

Once I've had it a month or two, got half a dozen gigs under my belt with it, I'll do a proper review for Basschat.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

I like the neck finish a lot.

Me too. I wanted a 4003S and a matte black came up relatively close on eBay so I bought it untried. I was really pleased at how smooth (Teflon-like) it feels without the stickiness some high gloss finishes have with warm hands.

• 2 months later...
On 30/01/2020 at 16:16, Happy Jack said:

Once I've had it a month or two, got half a dozen gigs under my belt with it, I'll do a proper review for Basschat.

Hey HJ - methinks we need to coax you for that review! (Unless it's been done and I somehow missed it along the way!)

Nice little review by this zany crew.

The iconic Rick clank is very clear at 0.25 into the clip. 

Just wondering whether I can avoid dropping £2k on one of these (the prices do seem to have come down a bit and are retailing closer to the £2.2k mark these days) and get that clank via a Tech 21 pedal or something similar? If any of you feel you've got that Rick sound bottled in a pedal, please do share your ingredients!

• Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 16:16, Happy Jack said:

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey HJ - methinks we need to coax you for that review! (Unless it's been done and I somehow missed it along the way!)

I would love to ... if only I had half a dozen gigs under my belt!

I didn't think it would be fair to spring such a different bass on the band two days later in Richmond, so I stuck to the usual Mike Lull T-bird. My first gig with the Ric was a not-very-good one in Hampshire three weeks later, followed by three much better ones at weekly intervals and everything beginning to click rather nicely ... and then the whole world went to 5h1t.

I could have written something as the world went into Lockdown, but sat to relate I went down with a nasty case of man-flu (or Covid-19 as we calls it round 'ere) for two weeks and instead I did the square root of f***-all. I could write something now except it's been over a month since I played it in anger.

Ah well, Game Over Insert New Coin. Reset to zero when the lockdown is lifted. :(

On 29/01/2020 at 11:54, Silvia Bluejay said:

It is home! :D

Jack's Ricky! (1).jpg

Jack's Ricky! (2).jpg

WOW! I think the Ric looks fantastic, congratulations on your purchase Sir!

Sounds great in the vid above too. So now it's on a list of things that a) I've never seen in the flesh, b) I've not handled and c) I've not heard in real life, but I still want.

Nice Tee Shirt too. I went to Donnington in '86 to see them (and Motorhead and Ozzy). Went down on the back of Pa Brown's Suzuki GS850 from Hexham and in fine style we got into the arena just as Bad News finished. It was a great night, we scored some dope and slept by the bike with our sleeping bags on the floor, no tent.

Next morning I got to ride the GS home as Pa was still stoned.

Happy days indeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I could have written something as the world went into Lockdown, but sat to relate I went down with a nasty case of man-flu (or Covid-19 as we calls it round 'ere) for two weeks and instead I did the square root of f***-all. 

Hey - sounds like you've been through the wars! But hopefully you're on the road to being fully mended.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I didn't think it would be fair to spring such a different bass on the band two days later in Richmond, so I stuck to the usual Mike Lull T-bird. My first gig with the Ric was a not-very-good one in Hampshire three weeks later, followed by three much better ones at weekly intervals and everything beginning to click rather nicely ... and then the whole world went to 5h1t.

I could have written something as the world went into Lockdown, but sat to relate I went down with a nasty case of man-flu (or Covid-19 as we calls it round 'ere) for two weeks and instead I did the square root of f***-all. I could write something now except it's been over a month since I played it in anger.

So everything was fine, then you bought a Ric, then you had a bad gig, the world got Covid 19 and you got ill for a few weeks.

OK, I am not saying that it has to be connected, but, you know, there wasn't illness and global pandemic before you bought the ric was there?

• Haha 1

Just now, Woodinblack said:

So everything was fine, then you bought a Ric, then you had a bad gig, the world got Covid 19 and you got ill for a few weeks.

OK, I am not saying that it has to be connected, but, you know, there wasn't illness and global pandemic before you bought the ric was there?

Woody - that's literally a sick joke! 

Next thing we'll be hearing - this has been taken up by Fox News! 

😁

• Haha 2